2013 Mar Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2,236 ! ; Volt 1,478

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
If the model s turns out to beat the leaf by a 2 to 1 margin that will be remarkable. So much for the who can afford a 100k car argument, looks like the answer is plenty.
This comment resulted in some 7 pages of arguments about S etc. Forget 2 to 1 margin, turns out Leaf actually outsold S in March.

RegGuheert said:
LEAFfan said:
I too thought the S would be the most sales/leases, but according to Nissan it's a small percentage. The most is the SV at 55% of sales for 2013.
I'm not surprised by this since I think many have been waiting for the heat pump in the LEAF and SV is the cheapest way to get one.
Agreed, that and the 6.6 charger. If you live in a mild climate to which the Leaf is most suited, the heat pump is a no-brainer. OTOH, if you live in Frostbite Falls, it's not likely to make a difference in the winter when you really need the efficiency. If Nissan had made the heat pump an option on the S, I expect we would see it taking a much higher % of sales. Here in the Bay Area, I tell anyone who asks me to go for the SV to get the heat pump, if they will be using the car anywhere near its max. range.

/late night sales update ftw

Mitsu bottomed out of 2012 inventory for March to clear out.

Sales fell to 31 (from 337 in February)
http://insideevs.com/march-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...just Ford's numbers left to get on Wednesday (and I have to run down a Toyota rep on the RAV4 EV at some point tomorrow...or today depending on your timezone)

GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
LEAFfan said:
I too thought the S would be the most sales/leases, but according to Nissan it's a small percentage. The most is the SV at 55% of sales for 2013.
I'm not surprised by this since I think many have been waiting for the heat pump in the LEAF and SV is the cheapest way to get one.
Agreed, that and the 6.6 charger. If you live in a mild climate to which the Leaf is most suited, the heat pump is a no-brainer. OTOH, if you live in Frostbite Falls, it's not likely to make a difference in the winter when you really need the efficiency. If Nissan had made the heat pump an option on the S, I expect we would see it taking a much higher % of sales. Here in the Bay Area, I tell anyone who asks me to go for the SV to get the heat pump, if they will be using the car anywhere near its max. range.

Do not forget that the S has no cruise control...either standard or as an option. Was as big as factor as the heat pump and 6.6 charger for me.

LeafinThePark said:
Do not forget that the S has no cruise control...either standard or as an option. Was as big as factor as the heat pump and 6.6 charger for me.
Model S definitely has cruise control - just not the adaptive variety.

update : Apparently Leaf S, and not Model S.

evnow said:
LeafinThePark said:
S definitely has cruise control - just not the adaptive variety.
He's talking about the LEAF S not the Model S you just ordered. ;)

drees said:
evnow said:
LeafinThePark said:
LOL. BTW, I just "reserved", chances of that getting converted to an order are rather slim.

xtremeflyer said:
evnow said:
Rav4 EV : 133. Not bad - this is what Toyota needs for their CARB compliance.

Sounds like $10k off was the magic number. They've kept it for another month.
Ofcourse, we don't know how many of them are actually delivered in CA. Only those that are delivered (and I guess registered) in CA would get ZEV credits.

Toyota can easily move more vehicles by clarifying the service option outside of CA.

TomT said:
But since that would not result in CARB credit, and that is all they really care about, why would they?

evnow said:
Toyota can easily move more vehicles by clarifying the service option outside of CA.

Maybe there is some other benefit to Toyota that eludes us, in selling larger numbers of this BEV, at a loss of $20k to $30k per car?

...at a press roundtable at the New York Auto Show last Wednesday, Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn said that the company expected to deliver around 1,900 Leafs during March.

The actual number turned out to be 2,236--higher than Ghosn's no-doubt lowballed estimate--bringing the Leaf's quarterly total to 3,539. Not at Tesla levels, but by far the Leaf's best-ever monthly total.

Ghosn went on to say that a level of around 2,000 monthly sales was NOT where Nissan expected to settle--implying that higher volumes were in the cards for the rest of the year...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083263_march-plug-in-electric-car-sales-tesla-on-top-leaf-roars-back" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

drees said:
evnow said:
LeafinThePark said:

Yes....sorry for the confusion. The Leaf S has no cruise control.

Back