2013 June Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2225 ; Volt 2698

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Highlights :
- After a few months PHEVs overtook BEVs, mainly because of Volt's renewed better performance and Tesla shifting to EU
- BEVs are selling at 5 times the pace of last year because of Model S & a big jump in Leaf sales
- Leaf sales are still supply constrained as there is only a 35 day inventory with dealers
- Pligin Prius continues to perform poorly compared to last year and Toyota shows no signs of trying to improve things
- Compliance EVs continue to sell small numbers
- Ford C-Max Energi is also performing poorly compared to initial sales last year, with both Fusion & C-Max Energis selling about 400 a month
- It is not clear why Honda is even selling Accord PHEV with sales of just 50 a month.

Monthly-Plugins.png

Just from the number of new Ford Focus Electrics I have seen this month I think they are going to see a bump in June. On Friday I saw a brand new one in my building, one on the way home and parked next to one at a Safeway in Woodinville, WA all on the same day.

I have been seeing A LOT of new Leafs too. Dealers are still struggling to maintain inventory levels here in the Seattle area as well. Some of the less reputable but high volume dealers have 100+ in stock while the better dealers are getting squeezed and have only a couple dozen. The more reputable dealers have 50-80 on order and have many S models pre-sold before they even get here.

One EV to surely show a big jump is Fit EV !

I think Leaf is still supply limited, so we may see around 2k again.

FFE has shown some signs of life, so would be interesting to watch.

I'm guessing:

Leaf ~2100. Roughly the same as last month. Should keep being a good month, but nothing particularly positive has happened to the Leaf as far as I can tell. Only news has been negative with Nissan disconcertingly refusing to give a battery price.

Volt: 2000. They had tons of press about supposed bigger price cuts at dealers. Inventory levels have dropped 1000. Can't tell if they're still making them or if they've shut down for the summer (they should).

Everyone else: Noise. There are no other serious competitors. All the compliance vehicles will sell in small number of hundreds. Don't particularly care about low EV range PHEVs such as the PiP, Ford Energi.

Tesla won't report. They'd easily outsell Leaf and Volt if they route them all to the US. Not sure when they're going to start diverting for European sales.

dm33 said:
Tesla won't report. They'd easily outsell Leaf and Volt if they route them all to the US. Not sure when they're going to start diverting for European sales.
Tesla is making about 2k a month. I think they are getting orders of about 15k a year from the US now - that is just over 1k a month. So they will continue to sell less than Leaf.

What does everybody make of the article a few days ago from some guy at Nissan predicting sales of the Leaf were going to ramp up? Wishful thinking? Or are they hinting at higher sales numbers for June? I suspect the Leaf will ride the coattails of all the positive press around Tesla, so I'm predicting 2300 for June or by July, possibly hitting 2500 by the end of summer

Volt maybe 1900 due to increase in cash back offered. Not much else to speak of from Ford or the others (we got flooded with commercials for the C-max a couple of months ago, but I haven't seen a single one in weeks), but I'm very interested to see what the Fit EV did, and how much "sold out for the year" means.

gigglehertz said:
What does everybody make of the article a few days ago from some guy at Nissan predicting sales of the Leaf were going to ramp up?
I thought they were simply stating that they thought sales of the 2013 have been production limited and that Nissan felt they would have sufficient stock going forward.

I wonder if reliability problems with the 2013s will eventually affect sales or if they will have those ironed out soon.

RegGuheert said:
I wonder if reliability problems with the 2013s will eventually affect sales or if they will have those ironed out soon.
Are there any reported problems other than the PDM? Early reports sound like they've fixed it. Hard to tell how widespread it is. My 2013 hasn't had any issues so far (knock on wood).

2,698 on the Volt...discounts worked

http://insideevs.com/aggressive-pricing-leads-to-best-selling-month-of-the-year-for-the-chevrolet-volt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: you beat me by like 10 seconds evnow, curse you, (=

Wow, cutting prices moves more units. Who would have guessed?

The interesting question is whether the price cut on the Volt just took sales from the Leaf (the pie is the same size and we're arguing over the size of each piece) or whether the collective price cuts from Nissan and GM have expanded the market (bigger pie).

You'd think the collective price cuts would expand the market but we'll see when the Leaf numbers are announced (the compliance cars will nibble at the Leaf numbers but not by a lot).

Argh. If my numbers are right, then the Volt pulls ahead of the Leaf for YTD sales, just by a nose.
Volt: 9855
Leaf: 9839

Volt ahead by 16!

Honda fit ev is 208 if that is of interest

zero mileage leases = big hit

Back