2013 June Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 2225 ; Volt 2698

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we can all speculate but the lack of inventory on the lots pretty much says that the ramp up for either the factory (less likely), parts suppliers, or the battery plant (most likely) is still underway.

Nissan had to have expected sales at least this level and was probably expecting higher so I have to think that one of the above has progressed slower than they had hoped. I have to say the production line would be the least likely since its been there for a long time and only added a new product which they have done several times in the past.

The suppliers could be an issue. they maybe struggling to meet Nissan's QC specs or something. The battery plant seems the most likely. it is new, no previous track record to compare and the process is very complicated and not unlike a IC Fab.

DaveinOlyWA said:
The suppliers could be an issue. they maybe struggling to meet Nissan's QC specs or something. The battery plant seems the most likely. it is new, no previous track record to compare and the process is very complicated and not unlike a IC Fab.

I actually think the battery plant is NOT the problem; we know they started building packs even before they started building cars (I remember seeing a video about how they had to "soak" the packs--much like the ripening of fruit). We've heard about a few QC issues, but then again this forum tends to emphasize negatives (not that there's anything wrong with that). I think there's just too many specialized/single-source parts and the supply chain isn't keeping up. After all, we still hear about Leafs that are "stuck" in repair waiting for parts :eek:

Stanton said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I actually think the battery plant is NOT the problem; we know they started building packs even before they started building cars (I remember seeing a video about how they had to "soak" the packs--much like the ripening of fruit). We've heard about a few QC issues, but then again this forum tends to emphasize negatives (not that there's anything wrong with that). I think there's just too many specialized/single-source parts and the supply chain isn't keeping up. After all, we still hear about Leafs that are "stuck" in repair waiting for parts :eek:

that is very plausible. they simply could be having problems with stateside vendors being able to provide them sufficient quality parts. I saw an article about small vendors in Japan and the cut throat business practices they were subjected to by major manufacturers. its essentially a pyramid like scheme where the smallest companies in the chain have the greatest demand and the smallest pay offs. They essentially would go out of business if they had a single batch of product fail QC testing. There, it was not like Nissan/Toyota/Honda to vendor.

it was several smaller vendors to a major vendor before hitting any product name we would be familiar with

but my thoughts on the batteries being the issue stems from a few different things

** new plant, no previous track record

** a very complicated process with few parallel manufacturers in US

** the fact that auto parts suppliers number in the thousands. its possible that a smaller company took on more than they can chew, but seems like Nissan would have vetted them AND had more than one supplier just in case...

** and the very real possibility (due to Phoenix issues) that maybe they are changing the process up a bit and that new process has more wrinkles than anticipated.

anyone have any idea where the unique parts like charger, inverter, etc are coming from? if its a vendor thing, its gotta be one of those.

hard to say, but betting its more a combination of the first two than anything else

DaveinOlyWA said:
but my thoughts on the batteries being the issue stems from a few different things
All good points, Dave!

I will add one more: I think it takes a long time make a Li-ion battery. If you combine that with the desire to not ramp too quickly and have a bunch of batteries sitting around degrading, I can see Nissan taking their time ramping up battery production.

My overall impression was that a LOT of things had to go right on order to build a good EV battery. Lots can go wrong!

RegGuheert said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
All good points, Dave!

I will add one more: I think it takes a long time make a Li-ion battery. If you combine that with the desire to not ramp too quickly and have a bunch of batteries sitting around degrading, I can see Nissan taking their time ramping up battery production.

My overall impression was that a LOT of things had to go right on order to build a good EV battery. Lots can go wrong!

Agreed. I think a key factor in longevity is a very well balanced pack. This means a much tighter manufacturing tolerance must be maintained thru out to insure the final product is highly uniform. I am guessing that right now, a much higher percentage of cells are falling outside that tolerance and they are trying to figure out which step needs adjustment. Like a IC Fabrication plant, even an identical process can vary based on the smallest changes which can be location of the plant or even location of the machines in relation to each other. all variances, no matter how small must be accounted for and the process adjusted to take that small variance into account.

Just filling out the month, I have reported out the rest now (pretty much)

Focus Electric: 177
C-Max Energi: 455
Cusion Energi: 390

Edit/update: just talked to the smart rep, and they sold 53 (pretty good for 2nd month in limited release until October national)

Entire list and ditties can be found here:
http://insideevs.com/june-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/#comment-107982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Statik said:
Thanks Statik for hunting this down (and posting here !).

That leaves Rav 4 EV as the last holdout ...

evnow said:
Statik said:
Thanks Statik for hunting this down (and posting here !).

That leaves Rav 4 EV as the last holdout ...

Funny, I thought I had uploaded all the numbers, I got back home tonight and had 5 emails talking about the RAV4 EV not on the charts, heeh

...anywhoo its 44

ps) hardest 2 days of the month is plug-in sales days - it's fun to see the numbers, but such a pain...if they the OEMs would all just straight report out the facts and figures on EVs would go so much easier, hehe

Here are the final numbers.

Monthly-Plugins.png

Back