2013 Feb Plugin Sales Discussion : Volt 1626 ; Leaf 653

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

pluginmonthlydetails.png

Feb numbers are below. Jan numbers are in brackets.

Model S : 1,400* (1,200*)
Leaf : 653 (650)
FFE : 158 (81)
i : 337 (257)
RAV4 EV : 52 (25)
Fit EV : 15 (8)

Total EVs : 2,615

Volt : 1,626 (1,140)
PIP : 693 (874)
C-Max Energi : 334 (338)
Fusion Energi : 119 (0)
Accord PHEV : 17 (2)

Total PHEVs : 2,789

Even though Tesla does not report monthly sales, I'm pretty sure they report quarterly. So why not take quarterly sales and divide them by 3 and fill 3 months in at a time? I know it isn't super accurate, but should be close enough.

Can you please break up the Leaf numbers between 2012 models and 2013 models if available? Just want to see how the available 2013 models moved.

Tia,

Ian B

If reported accurately, looks like GM may not be expecting huge improvement in year-over-year PHEV/BEV sales, considering their total may now reflect an additional model, the Spark BEV.

Although executives at General Motors are not putting their names to any future Volt/plug-in sales forecasts, two sources familiar with GM’s internal targets (who did not wish to be revealed) have told Bloomberg that GM hopes to sell “36,000 Chevrolet Volts and other plug-ins” worldwide for 2013. An approximate gain of 20%...

The 36,000 plug-in sales will come primarily from these vehicles, with some additional sales on the side from their all-electric EV:
Chevrolet/Holden Volt
Opel/Vauxhall Ampera
Chevrolet Spark EV

In 2012, GM sold approximately 30,200 extended range plug-in vehicles, so 36,000 in 2013 would not be a huge jump. And although GM has already handicapped itself in January, the improvement still does not seem unreasonable.

...GM is now seven months into the 2013 MY production cycle, and GM has built only 2,141 cars. In the past four months GM has built only 69 Amperas in total (Jan-42,Dec-6, Nov-19, Oct-2)....

The Spark EV May Assist GM In Sell A Lot More Plug-In Vehicles, But Not In 2013...

While its hard to predict the reception for the Spark EV long-term, we do know its 2013 rollout will be minimal, or as GM says, “limited”.

The Spark EV will first go on sale in South Korea this summer, with the deliveries in the US beginning “late” in the year. GM has already stated it will be a limited rollout out at first in the US (California/Oregon), and Canadian deliveries will be fleet only starting in the fall of 2014, with Europe not adding to the sales numbers themselves until sometime in 2014.

For 2013, we expect about 1,000 Spark EVs to be sold...

http://insideevs.com/gm-plans-for-36000-volt-based-sales-this-year-after-frustrating-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
If reported accurately, looks like GM may not be expecting huge improvement in year-over-year PHEV/BEV sales, considering their total may now reflect an additional model, the Spark BEV.
Jay corrected that in comments.

Overall we are seeing increases in inventory being moved to CA which is where most USA plug-ins across the board are sold. With gas prices high and inventory high it should be a great year for Volt sales as well as other plug-ins.

scottf200 said:
edatoakrun said:
Jay corrected that in comments...

And back on-topic, re Feb monthly Volt sales, he also added:

Jay Cole

February 28, 2013 at 11:47 am

Just as a random thing, GM currently has just under 6,000 Volts in US inventory, which is fairly close to an all-time high if I am not mistaken. They have really made an effort to “stock the shelves” in February, it will be interesting to see the corresponding sales result.

scottf200 said:
edatoakrun said:
Jay corrected that in comments.

Overall we are seeing increases in inventory being moved to CA which is where most USA plug-ins across the board are sold. With gas prices high and inventory high it should be a great year for Volt sales as well as other plug-ins.

Yeah I get a D- for the wording on that one.

...moving on.

I talked to a Ford exec about, uh, something or other (can't remember), and he mentioned that Fusion Energi sales for February will be zero. UPDATE: Apparently an exec who knew nothing, 119 Fusion Energis were sold, lol.

Ford is also doing a media event on the Fusion in March (in San Francisco, Los Angeles and D.C.)

Sidenote: I'd like to mention that "plug-in reporting day" is the most suck-tastic day of the month for me, (=

RegGuheert said:
My local Nissan dealer sold one (1) 2013 LEAF this month, so that's a start!

My local anecdotes:

Crown Nissan Redding has not received any 2013s yet.

As of yesterday, "first three expected in late March, all pre-sold"

Petaluma Nissan told me first one in and sold as of last Monday, several more due in by tomorrow.

Both of those reports sound like the 2013s were slower coming to N Cal, than had been expected last month.

So, if these reports are typical, 2013 MY sales could be low for February.

Statik said:
Sidenote: I'd like to mention that "plug-in reporting day" is the most suck-tastic day of the month for me, (=
Half the results are out by the time I get up :lol:

evnow said:
Statik said:
Half the results are out by the time I get up :lol:

...or before you go to bed if you are lucky, (=

UPDATE: 653 LEAFs sold in February, Nissan's preliminary numbers turned out to be off by about 150.

Here is the new quote Travis Parman just emailed me:
"With some help from distribution, LEAF February sales reached 653 leaving about 30 ‘12s in inventory. That put the sales mix at about 60 percent ’13 LEAFs to 40 percent ‘12s as the production ramp-up of LEAF continues at Nissan’s Smyrna, Tenn. facility."

-------
February LEAF sales 500, so some 2013 LEAFs snuck in under the wire to stop the month from being really low (still officially 'preliminary' numbers mind you according to a Nissan rep...but its usually pretty bang on when the numbers get released in the AM).

Also of interest: Nissan says all but 75 2012s are sold, with February sales being about "50/50" 2012s against 2013s. Given they started the month with about 350 2012s, that means Nissan managed to ship and sell about 225 by February's end. Nissan also says the bulk of the current production is headed to the West Coast right now. Dealer inventories to fill up in April, etc. etc.

http://insideevs.com/leaf-sales-start-to-rebound-in-late-february-as-some-2013-inventory-hits-dealers-normality-in-april/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Statik said:
Also of interest: Nissan says all but 75 2012s are sold, with February sales being about "50/50" 2012s against 2013s. Given they started the month with about 350 2012s, that means Nissan managed to ship and sell about 225 by February's end. Nissan also says the bulk of the current production is headed to the West Coast right now. Dealer inventories to fill up in April, etc. etc.
Thanks! Good information! So it seems it is 2013s from here on out.

It will be interesting to see if Nissan and Chevy are able to gradually reduce their discounting going forward or if they will need to continue to subsidize plug-ins until they can bring the manufacturing costs way down. I'm thinking both will happen, but slowly. Tesla claims to be per-unit profitable (with a big price tag), Nissan may be getting close, but I wonder if Chevy is still a long way from that point. We may never know.

Statik said:

http://insideevs.com/leaf-sales-start-to-rebound-in-late-february-as-some-2013-inventory-hits-dealers-normality-in-april/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting math, Jay. 350 - 75 = 225? ;)

GetOffYourGas said:
Statik said:

I guess I should have add the part about the 225 being the amount of 2013s they shipped, it certainly reads like I was talking about 2012s, lol

"...that means Nissan managed to ship and sell about 225 2013 LEAFs by February's end"

...hey I got in right in the original article, heeh
...it was late?
...the headlights were in my eyes?

/fixed

Statik said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Statik said:

I guess I should have add the part about the 225 being the amount of 2013s they shipped, it certainly reads like I was talking about 2012s, lol

"...that means Nissan managed to ship and sell about 225 2013 LEAFs by February's end"

...hey I got in right in the original article, heeh
...it was late?
...the headlights were in my eyes?

/fixed

Yeah, I guess that's kind of implied. Reading comprehension fail.

Jay's "fantastic day" of the month link: http://insideevs.com/february-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chevrolet Volt: Sales for February rebounded to 1,626 units, a 40% improvement over Janauary, and almost 60% up from a year ago’s result. (full recap http://insideevs.com/strong-inventory-levels-help-chevrolet-volt-sales-rebound-in-february/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

GM official site with PDFs to download: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Mar/gmsales.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan LEAF: Although February sales dropped to 500 LEAFs from 650 sold in January, this was a win of sorts for Nissan. (Read the full February Nissan LEAF sales report http://insideevs.com/leaf-sales-start-to-rebound-in-late-february-as-some-2013-inventory-hits-dealers-normality-in-april/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Nissan "preliminary numbers off", Travis Parmen from Nissan just emailed me:

Officially 653, should be up on Nissan's site soon-ish:

Here is the quote:
"With some help from distribution, LEAF February sales reached 653 leaving about 30 ‘12s in inventory. That put the sales mix at about 60 percent ’13 LEAFs to 40 percent ‘12s as the production ramp-up of LEAF continues at Nissan’s Smyrna, Tenn. facility"

...math is now meaningless, (=

The rest:

Honda Fit EV: 15
i-MiEV: 337 (amazingly)
Honda Accord PHEV: 17 (850% increase over January's 2, lol)
Fusion Energi: 0

still waiting on Toyota to split their Priuis/RAV4 numbers...Ford usually breaks out numbers on Monday

Back