2013 Apr Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1,936 ; Volt 1,306

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Monthly-Plugins.png

Totals-Plugins.png

April numbers come out on Wednesday & Thursday. Mar numbers are in brackets.

Leaf : 1,936 (2,236)
Model S : 2,200* (2,150*)
FFE : 147 (180)
i : 127 (31)
RAV4 EV : 70 (133)
Fit EV : 22 (23)

Total EVs : 4,503 (4,753)

Volt : 1,306 (1,478)
PIP : 599 (786)
C-Max Energi : 411 (494)
Fusion Energi : 365 (295)
Accord PHEV : 55 (26)

Total PHEVs : 2,736 (3,079)

Wow, big jump in Leaf sales in March (one of which was mine). Also Tesla volume is surprsing given the high price. Wish I could afford one! Thanks for the very interesting data evnow.

Having recently traded one of my Leafs for a Volt, I am here and in the Volt forum. I think based on what i am seeing, the Leaf is gonna have another solid month of sales and the Volt about the same as last month. Either way, since I have one of each, I want both to succeed and get as many butts behind the wheel to keep the movement going.

Ian B

evnow said:
Here is a quick recap for Mar. What is your guess on April ?

pluginmonthlydetails.png

April numbers come out on Wednesday. Mar numbers are in brackets.

Leaf : (2,236)
Model S : (2,150*)
FFE : (180)
i : (31)
RAV4 EV : (133)
Fit EV : (23)

Total EVs : (4,753)

Volt : (1,478)
PIP : (786)
C-Max Energi : (494)
Fusion Energi : (295)
Accord PHEV : (26)

Total PHEVs : (3,079)

posted a poll on FB Seattle LEAF owner group and most seem to think significantly more and guessing its due to just a lot more sightings around town and I have to agree so I predict 2750

Over 1900 Leafs! Very nice solid month.
I would also be pleasantly surprised if there were 4,000/month sold by the end of the year, but not shocked.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083871_april-plug-in-electric-car-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

might add up to LEAFs 2nd best month ever but still disappointing to me. I am really surprised the numbers did not go up especially since all of March was still restocking the dealers which was supposed to have been completed at the end of April.

If the low (~2,600) current LEAF dealer inventory reported below is correct, it sounds like Nissan either underestimated LEAF demand or has had problems ramping up production at Smyrna to meet it.

...Nissan’s factory in Smyrna, TN has now almost completely caught up to order-demand for the 2013 LEAF, but inventory at the dealership level unexpectedly stalled in April, rising only 300 units over the course of the month to 2,600. Given the proper amount of inventory, Nissan quite likely could have sold close to 3,000 LEAFs in either March or April of this year...

http://insideevs.com/april-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:
might add up to LEAFs 2nd best month ever but still disappointing to me. I am really surprised the numbers did not go up especially since all of March was still restocking the dealers which was supposed to have been completed at the end of April.

I was expecting more too.

smkettner said:
Comparison of days inventory between LEAF/Volt (and others) would be interesting.
Looks like ~ 6 weeks for the LEAF, compared with ~ 7 months for the Volt.

...Irregardless, of how sales pan out for the rest of the year, General Motors has way over-stocked dealerships with inventory, and we feel it is almost a certainty that the Volt line will be idled for an extended period in the very near future, with close to 9,000 Chevy Volts on hand...

...Nissan’s factory in Smyrna, TN has now almost completely caught up to order-demand for the 2013 LEAF, but inventory at the dealership level unexpectedly stalled in April, rising only 300 units over the course of the month to 2,600. Given the proper amount of inventory, Nissan quite likely could have sold close to 3,000 LEAFs in either March or April of this year...

http://insideevs.com/april-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6 weeks is probably a bit low and 7 months seems way high.

LEAF might be headed for a steady climb but inventory seems solid for the first time so IMO these sales at about 2000 per month might be close to representing normal demand.

I guess a real question to present to the board is has anyone seen signs of a constrained supply? lack of colors, options, waiting for delivery? etc.

edatoakrun said:
smkettner said:
Comparison of days inventory between LEAF/Volt (and others) would be interesting.
Looks like ~ 6 weeks for the LEAF, compared with ~ 7 months for the Volt.

...Irregardless, of how sales pan out for the rest of the year, General Motors has way over-stocked dealerships with inventory, and we feel it is almost a certainty that the Volt line will be idled for an extended period in the very near future, with close to 9,000 Chevy Volts on hand...

Plus there's a BIG difference between the Chevy Volt production line and the Nissan LEAF production line. The Volt is built on a dedicated line, so the line has to be started and stopped as inventory dictates. The LEAF is built on a line with two big sellers, so Nissan can keep the line running optimally by shifting production in real time between the three vehicles. While GM has large fixed costs associated with the Volt, Nissan's costs are more variable.

OTOH, Nissan has three large battery factories that it needs to pay for. It seems the plethora of hybrids which are coming will help to accomplish this task.

It's clear: Starting up production of an electric vehicle is a very costly and risky endeavor!

DaveinOlyWA said:
I guess a real question to present to the board is has anyone seen signs of a constrained supply? lack of colors, options, waiting for delivery? etc.

Yes, I was looking for a red SV without QC, and all 4 red SV's in the northeast had QC. I had to settle for blue again. Maybe a red one will be available later in the year.

I don't think these numbers count how many are traded in or come off lease, right?

Yogi62 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Yes, I was looking for a red SV without QC, and all 4 red SV's in the northeast had QC. I had to settle for blue again. Maybe a red one will be available later in the year.

I don't think these numbers count how many are traded in or come off lease, right?

no, should only be # of new VINs put out in the wild whether sold or leased. returns would be used and completely different list.

your dealer was lazy. they probably could have gotten the right color for you in one day by trading with another dealer. I met someone who had color issues as well but his dealer (Fife) traded with another Seattle area dealer and he drove his home the very next day

Back