2013 July Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1864 ; Volt 1788

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Number 3 gets my vote.

smkettner said:
Maybe a new battery or battery system will be out in a couple years and Nissan does not want to flood the market with warranty liabilities.
Maybe a short supply prevents the batteries from degrading on the lot while they sit.
Maybe there are more TN production issues than expected.
Along with a hundred other possibilities.

I am sure its a combination of 2 and 3

Rounding it out with Ford (who is a huge pain in the butt to get numbers for)

Focus Electric - 150
Fusion Energi - 407
C-Max Energi - 453

http://insideevs.com/july-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fiat is actually still out there, but Fiatsler is being really difficult, it might take be a bit longer to figure it out.

Statik said:
Rounding it out with Ford (who is a huge pain in the butt to get numbers for)

Focus Electric - 150
Fusion Energi - 407
C-Max Energi - 453

http://insideevs.com/july-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fiat is actually still out there, but Fiatsler is being really difficult, it might take be a bit longer to figure it out.
Thanks for chasing the numbers.

Fiascoler ... hmmm isn't it interesting their market valuation is now less than that of Tsla (which, BTW, ended the week at another all time high) ?!

Has anyone seen the production sticker on a recently assembled Leaf? if so, are they still using drive trains from Japan? I think most of the reduced cost to Nissan, and lower MSRP, is due to a better exchange rate. Any savings from US production will only come when the US content increases to include motors and batteries.

In April and before I never saw a Leaf near me in NJ. In July I saw 4!

Oh I never saw a Tesla either but in July I saw 2 and my wife saw 2 as well. All Tesla S's

Do you guys think that maybe they are slowing down because they are getting ready to start making the 2014's ?

I found these pictures which look different than my 2013, the trunk looks like there is a lip or little bump in the metal above the "LEAF" emblem and there's a RED light under the back bumper. Also the plastic bumper around the rear red lights seems like it's different.

2014_Leaf.jpg

2014_Leaf1.jpg

Here's another picture, this LEAF has color matching wheels!!!! http://www.netcarshow.com/nissan/2014-leaf/800x600/wallpaper_2e.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smkettner said:
Maybe a new battery or battery system will be out in a couple years and Nissan does not want to flood the market with warranty liabilities.
Maybe a short supply prevents the batteries from degrading on the lot while they sit.
Maybe there are more TN production issues than expected.
Along with a hundred other possibilities.

On pic 71 of 96 at the link by Lasareath above the Guess-o-meter reads 142 miles. Is that marketing BS (possible if you drive 17mph?), or a hint of what is to come?

If accurate, they have actually found a way to make the rear of the Leaf LESS attractive... They lip on the hatch does nothing but break up what had been a smooth and attractive contour... :roll:

Lasareath said:
I found these pictures which look different than my 2013, the trunk looks like there is a lip or little bump in the metal above the "LEAF" emblem and there's a RED light under the back bumper. Also the plastic bumper around the rear red lights seems like it's different.

Lasareath said:

2014_Leaf.jpg

2014_Leaf1.jpg

The red light beneath the bumper is a rear fog light which is a requirement in some countries, particularly in Europe. It looks the same as that of any other Leaf sold in such regions. As it's not required in either the US or Canada, we're unlikely to get it, just like in previous years.

The bumper looks the same to me. The only difference is a more pronounced horizontal crease in the lower part of the hatch, and that could be a lighting issue.

RonDawg said:
The only difference is a more pronounced horizontal crease in the lower part of the hatch, and that could be a lighting issue.
I'm wondering if that could be a new aerodynamic feature designed to help keep the mist off the rear camera lens when driving in the rain.

Based on the picture (and it could just be a weird lighting effect), it is in the wrong place for it to have any effect on the camera...

RegGuheert said:
RonDawg said:
The only difference is a more pronounced horizontal crease in the lower part of the hatch, and that could be a lighting issue.
I'm wondering if that could be a new aerodynamic feature designed to help keep the mist off the rear camera lens when driving in the rain.

Make of it what you will...
Nissan poised to boost Leaf output

Lindsay Chappell RSS feed
Automotive News
August 7, 2013 - 7:53 am ET

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- Nissan is making plans to begin building more electric Leafs as dealers clamor for more of the once slow-selling car.

The automaker's North American factory chief -- who has been visiting with retailers in recent days -- cautions that production will move ahead in small and careful steps.

But Nissan is already taking measures to increase its output of electric motors from its engine factory in Decherd, Tenn., says Bill Krueger, Nissan Americas vice chairman and senior vice president for manufacturing, purchasing production engineering and supply chain management.

Decherd is now staffing up to launch a third work shift that will give Nissan a third more electric motors starting this fall. That will ease up a critical pinch-point for Leaf output in the United States.

Krueger, speaking today on the sidelines of the 2013 CAR Management Briefing Seminars here, said the company also will decide next month whether to add a second shift to its production of lithium-ion battery modules for the car in Smyrna, Tenn.

Retailers have been selling about 2,000 Leafs a month lately -- three to four times its volume of a year ago, before the car was moved into U.S. production.

Through July, Nissan sold 11,703 Leafs in the United States -- a 230 percent increase over the 3,543 units sold during the seven months last year. The company sold 1,864 of the cars in July, compared with 395 during July 2012.

But Nissan decision-makers are waiting to see if August retail sales for the car are holding firm before moving ahead and signaling to suppliers that it is time to ramp up.

Green light from sales

"Sales needs to give us the green light, and we'll decide in September," Krueger says. "We want to know is this a spurt, or is this long-term?

He said the equipment is already installed to produce significantly more batteries and Leafs.

"But we don't want to ramp up and then ramp back down," he said. "We want to see that it's sustainable. You don't want to end up with a bunch of cars out there that you can't sell."

Nissan is the only North American automaker that produces an all-electric car, its battery module and the electric motor that powers it.

The battery is an unusual piece of automotive hardware, with each battery taking a full month to "bake" from chemicals into a module that can absorb and store energy.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130807/OEM05/130809898/nissan-poised-to-boost-leaf-output#axzz2bIcdMdsF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the article very much implies (to me anyway) that the shortage could very well be preventable and they waited until now to start doing something about it. looks like it was not likely to be technical or supply problems after all. but then again, its just a press release. the real story could be anything

DaveinOlyWA said:
the article very much implies (to me anyway) that the shortage could very well be preventable and they waited until now to start doing something about it. looks like it was not likely to be technical or supply problems after all. but then again, its just a press release. the real story could be anything

THey sure seem gunshy about committing to its future. I wonder if they feel they;ve overextended themselves with the Leaf; if they've slashed the price too much for profitability's sake, looking instead for stirring up demand at a time when panic was setting in over months of low demand. Now that demand has shown up, Nissan's found themselves at a 'sh!t or get off the pot' crossroad - do they up the ante on something they are not making money on at a time when other EVs with better batteries, better range, better performance (BMW i3, Spark EV) are appearing making it increasingly difficult to predict just what direction the market will be headed, or do what?

My guess is they will continue to take a conservative wait and see approach for the next good part of a year - and see where things go with the i3 when it comes to market, and how California sales of the Spark EV might affect Leaf sales.

blackmamba said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

THey sure seem gunshy about committing to its future. I wonder if they feel they;ve overextended themselves with the Leaf; if they've slashed the price too much for profitability's sake, looking instead for stirring up demand. Now that demand has shown up, Nissan's found themselves at a 'sh!t or get off the pot' crossroad - do they up the ante on something they are not making money on at a time when other EVs with better batteries, better range, better performance (BMW i3, Spark EV) are appearing making it increasingly difficult to predict just what direction the market will be headed, or do what?

My guess is they will continue to take a conservative wait and see approach for the next good part of a year - and see where things go with the i3 when it comes to market, and how California sales of the Spark EV might affect Leaf sales.

i think they are being cautious about not wanting to build more LEAFs than they can sell. its a valid stance since there is a real possibility of rapidly advancing improvements in battery tech that could make existing LEAFs sitting on the lot obsolete.

who would want a 75 mile LEAF with old battery tech knowing that a LEAF with improved battery tech is a few months away?

of course, Nissan could just keep that info on the down low until inventory was exhausted

but the LEAF has had increased sales figures for several months. seems strange they are just now starting to think about increasing production and that is where they are at; still thinking about it...

DaveinOlyWA said:

Yeah, if there were any major glitches in the supply chain, I don't see why Nissan would try to deny it.

Total speculation on my part, but what I read between the lines is:

The gen 1 LEAF is now priced at the minimum level that can be produced at Nissan's planned level of unit profit (or loss) over the entire production run, if and when the Smyrna factory is operating at the maximum production rate.

Therefore, Nissan will try to match future production to sales rates ~ the current prices, rather than reduce prices further, to stimulate sales at higher rates, which of course would only result in higher losses on each LEAF sale.

Just a guess, of course.

And I obviously did not guess right last year, when I thought Nissan would have US production up to ~5k a month by now, and use whatever pricing strategy would be necessary to move the LEAFs off the dealer lots.

Random update on Fiat 500e number.

Fiat has sold 270 units through August 9th, and the car went on sale July 15th. So we are estimating 150 units sold in July for the cars first month on the market.

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also for evnow --- now that we have numbers for Q2 on Tesla we had to gross up May and June sales by 100 units, so that our prior estimate of 4,950 units matched the actual 5,150 that Tesla came in with last week (...which I think was pretty close estimate considering the company was saying they would only do 4,500 for the quarter)

...would be so much easier if they would just put the number out, lol

Back