2013 Feb Plugin Sales Discussion : Volt 1626 ; Leaf 653

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
693 for the plug-in prius

...with no handy excuses as to why they put up almost their worst result to date, the plug-in competition might be eroding the PIPs base

GetOffYourGas said:
Amazingly indeed! Mitsubishi sold 588 in all of 2012. How did they pull off 337 in February alone?
Go read Jay's article on why.

Statik said:
693 for the plug-in prius
...with no handy excuses as to why they put up almost their worst result to date, the plug-in competition might be eroding the PIPs base
Not sure what you mean unless you mean future competition and those folks are waiting on Ford's 2 Energi's (plug-ins) to be more available or the Accord to be available. Otherwise the plug-in PHEV/ERVE competition is only the Volt.

The other reasoning could be the Prius fan base does not see the value in a PIP - but I would have thought the CA HOV would have made them a LOT of sales. Some are not even plugging in as I've read - just use the HOVs.

I also guess Ford's non-Energi hybrids are being sold to former Prius fans. (high mileage and more "fun" driving)

GetOffYourGas said:
Statik said:
i-MiEV: 337 (amazingly)

Amazingly indeed! Mitsubishi sold 588 in all of 2012. How did they pull off 337 in February alone?
I(MiEV) is now being sold for as low as $69/month. At that kind of price, it is an amazing car to buy for your teenage daughter (or even for run around the college campus).

The Plug in Prius inventory is really low. The 2012s are dried up and the 2013 were just starting to arrive. I looked at them before buying a leaf and the inventory was a disappointment, not that my choice of 3 leafs in my state was a plethora of leaves.

Thanks, it is 2k down, hmm, still attractive. Not sure if you can lease out of state though. Dealer web-site says you can buy one for $11k considering tax incentives and with "VIP sponsor" , whatever that is.

Monday it is...

Rounding out the list:

Ford Fusion Energi: 119
Ford C-Max Energi: 334
Ford Focus Electric: 158

Statik said:
Monday it is...

Rounding out the list:

So, Energi continues to disappoint.

Total for EVs 2,615 and total for PHEVs 2,789 ! Much closer than 1:2 some people were predicting.

evnow said:
Statik said:
Monday it is...

Rounding out the list:

Total for EVs 2,615 and total for PHEVs 2,789 ! Much closer than 1:2 some people were predicting.

Outside shot EVs can pass PHEVs next month...who would have thought that possible a year ago? lol

I do expect the C-Max Energi to rebound in March as it seems like some inventory is actually getting out now. Volt should be stronger too....Accord PHEV and Fusion Energi can't be worse

For BEVs, Tesla really has to max deliveries in March to get quasi-close to their 4,500 estimate (thatll be a bigger number for sure), and we know the LEAF will be much improved. Other side of the coin, Mitsu is all tapped out now, no '13 inventory and only a couple hundred 12s left.

If this help, I have a 2013 Nissan LEAF SL model and my mother in law purchase a 2013 Leaf SV model. I can support pics later on in my garage here in Orlando area in FL. Black SV , and White SL model.

FGARCIA25 said:
If this help, I have a 2013 Nissan LEAF SL model and my mother in law purchase a 2013 Leaf SV model. I can support pics later on in my garage here in Orlando area in FL. Black SV , and White SL model.
Wrong thread.

evnow said:
So, Energi continues to disappoint. Total for EVs 2,615 and total for PHEVs 2,789 ! Much closer than 1:2 some people were predicting.
It is more interesting and telling if you break this point out to:
1) BEVs < 100 miles using normal climate controls
2) BEVs >= 100 miles using normal climate controls
3) PHEVs < 25 miles using normal climate controls (or just combine with 4)
4) PHEVs >= 25 miles using normal climate controls (or just combine with 3)

scottf200 said:
It is more interesting and telling if you break this point out to:...
More interesting ? Not to me ;)

Model S selling more than Leaf just tells me how the American middle class has fared compared to the rich.

evnow said:
scottf200 said:
It is more interesting and telling if you break this point out to:...
More interesting ? Not to me ;)
Model S selling more than Leaf just tells me how the American middle class has fared compared to the rich.
It'll certainly be interesting this year to see the transition to some of the "masses" (vs early adopters) now that the new base-level 2013 Leaf S starts at $28,800 (and dips to sub-$20 with fed and state rebates. That is a different group of people with different expectations and EV knowledge, IMO. It will be full of pluses and minus.

The model S/X folks are still my more informed I think. Plus there is a lot more room for (range/climate) error.

evnow said:
Statik said:
Monday it is...

Rounding out the list:

The question I have is why? Is it because of inventory? Awareness of the options? Bad press (on the MPG front)? Or are people just recognizing that the Volt is superior to the CMax if it's large enough for you? There are other possibilities of course, and it may not be possible to know at this point. We'll just have to see if Ford can figure it out.

Back