2013 Jan Plugin Sales Discussion : Volt 1,140 ; Leaf 650

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This bargain hunter wagered that the local dealer would give me a break on trade in value and a deal on a 2012, something that in any sort of normal world reality shouldn't have worked, but in the land of Leaf it worked! I have now joined the community of Leaf Lease's, I essentially converted a purchased Leaf to a Lease with no money down, it was essentially a straight swap but for a slightly higher monthly payment. From what I was told, they were hot to sell to boost end of month sales numbers and were in a bargaining mood. Three Leafs were sold while I hemmed and hawed. I got the last one on the lot. They told me they won't even bother with the SV's, no one will take them up here. I suspect that the 2013 S is really there as a gateway to the higher end models the way the 40kW base Tesla S is... an approach that does seem to get people who would otherwise be put off by the higher price in the door and looking and often gradually expanding their comfort zone.

DaveinOlyWA said:
sounds like the 2013 announcements is causing bargain hunters to hold off for the S

Statik said:
yupe my bad, its 257. So high it threw me off, lol
Yes - 257 is high, as high as $69 is low ;)

With reports of $99 MY13 S lease, even the $69 may not be enough !

evnow said:
Statik said:

For sure. Hard to say what Mitsu's long-term plans are now...other than moving really old inventory off their dealer's lots. We know there isn't going to be a i-MiEV gen 2, and this is it, but when will they actually stop selling them? Who knows.

Statik said:
evnow said:
Statik said:

For sure. Hard to say what Mitsu's long-term plans are now...other than moving really old inventory off their dealer's lots. We know there isn't going to be a i-MiEV gen 2, and this is it, but when will they actually stop selling them? Who knows.

Mitsubishi needs to take that poor attempt at an ev back to Europe or Asia, sell what they can and be done. Don't come back here until you have a real ev car for the American market.

Ian B

Toyota data out from conference call now:

Prius PIP - 874
RAV4 EV - 25

Statik said:
Toyota data out from conference call now:

Prius PIP - 874
RAV4 EV - 25
Not incredibly surprised the PiP beat the Leaf but the Rav4 EV sales are shockingly bad.

It seems like Toyota's going to need to do something to entice more people to buy it, otherwise they'll fall well short of their goal. I wonder when they'll start advertising it somewhere. I've seen no TV and no online ads for it.

cwerdna said:
Not incredibly surprised the PiP beat the Leaf but the Rav4 EV sales are shockingly bad.

It seems like Toyota's going to need to do something to entice more people to buy it, otherwise they'll fall well short of their goal. I wonder when they'll start advertising it somewhere. I've seen no TV and no online ads for it.
I said the price is "steep" elsewhere - apparently that's what everyone thinks.

evnow said:
cwerdna said:

I said the price is "steep" elsewhere - apparently that's what everyone thinks.
Yeah... I think I saw that. It's about ~$34 - $35K (not including tax, title, license, etc.) after Toyota incentives, Fed tax incentives and CVRP.

If it had a CHAdeMO port (seems like the chance of that is near 0, for this iteration), was a little less $ and Toyota handled the Fed tax credit lease $ better, that might boost sales a bit.

I think the biggest turnoff is the price delta from it vs. the ICE version, which is of a new generation, to boot.

cwerdna said:
... and Toyota handled the Fed tax credit lease $ better, that might boost sales a bit.
How do they handle that now ? The lease quote I saw was just too high (>$600). It might have worked when there were no other EVs around ...

evnow said:
cwerdna said:
... and Toyota handled the Fed tax credit lease $ better, that might boost sales a bit.
How do they handle that now ? The lease quote I saw was just too high (>$600). It might have worked when there were no other EVs around ...
From http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the 95136, it says:
Lease a 2012 RAV4 EV for $489 a mo. + tax after $6000 Bonus Cash

$489 per month for 36 months
$4,999 due at signing
After $6,000 Bonus Cash is applied.

Offer Ends 2/4/2013
But, from what Tony's posted before, they "give" you $6K bonus cash but they don't also pass along the $7,500 Federal tax credit. They only pass along $6K of it, via the above.

I'm not sure about the residual and all. Leases are weird to me since I've never leased before. (And yes, I've read your posts and some others about them long ago.)

cwerdna said:
From http://www.buyatoyota.com/Specials/SpecialOffers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the 95136, it says:
Lease a 2012 RAV4 EV for $489 a mo. + tax after $6000 Bonus Cash

$489 per month for 36 months
$4,999 due at signing
After $6,000 Bonus Cash is applied.

Offer Ends 2/4/2013
But, from what Tony's posted before, they "give" you $6K bonus cash but they don't also pass along the $7,500 Federal tax credit. They only pass along $6K of it, via the above.

That is weird. If they used the rates Nissan is using for MY13, we would get $399 per month (after 4,999 down payment). Or with
a more reasonable 2k payment, $529.

evnow said:
That is weird. If they used the rates Nissan is using for MY13, we would get $399 per month (after 4,999 down payment). Or with
a more reasonable 2k payment, $529.

My guess is Toyota isn't giving any good lease deals because at the end of the day, they don't want them back in 3 years to have to try and sell them again. They want to sell them once and be done with them. That may change as they start to really need them off the lots, but for now, my guess is they don't really have any interest in leasing them.

Just got data from Ford:

...not so good

Focus Electric: 81
C-Max Energi: 338

Ford is being there usual difficult self and still waiting on hearing about the Fusion Energi

Statik said:
Just got data from Ford:

...not so good

Ford is being there usual difficult self and still waiting on hearing about the Fusion Energi
Looks like the numbers went down significantly from December.

evnow said:
Statik said:
Just got data from Ford:

...not so good

Looks like the numbers went down significantly from December.

I'm never one to shamelessly miss an opportunity to do some plugging:

http://insideevs.com/tesla-takes-the-ev-sales-lead-for-2013-as-ford-gets-a-plug-in-letdown-in-january/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...C-Max sales overall (standard/hybrid and plug-in) took a pounding in January, as the model lineup fell 63% to 2,725 units (from 4,310 in December, and almost 5,000 in November). The C-Max Energi, was hit even harder, as only 338 were sold in January, down from a high of 1,259 in November, and about a 1,000 last month. Of note: inventory for the C-Max Energi at month's end stood very low at an estimated 450 units.

Still, it seems unlikely that even with a full complement of C-Max Energis, Ford could have taken the sales title away from Tesla this month.

EDIT: fixed quote (thanks Dave)

whoop, looks like I posted the clip pre-editor review, lol...should have been a '/' in there, (=

...C-Max sales overall (standard/hybrid and plug-in) took a pounding in January, as the model lineup fell 63% to 2,725 units (from 4,310 in December, and almost 5,000 in November). The C-Max Energi, was hit even harder, as only 338 were sold in January, down from a high of 1,259 in November, and about a 1,000 last month. Of note: inventory for the C-Max Energi at month's end stood very low at an estimated 450 units.

Still, it seems unlikely that even with a full complement of C-Max Energis, Ford could have taken the sales title away from Tesla this month.

Did the fall come quickly to Energi (unlike Leaf) or is there something else to this ?

I still can't find Energi near me. Nearest dealer says, mid-Feb.

Back