2013 Apr Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1,936 ; Volt 1,306

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that it is the latter problem... More telling for the future will be what the sales in the next couple of months bring as supply once more catches up with demand...

edatoakrun said:
If the low (~2,600) current LEAF dealer inventory reported below is correct, it sounds like Nissan either underestimated LEAF demand or has had problems ramping up production at Smyrna to meet it.

TomT said:
I suspect that it is the latter problem... More telling for the future will be what the sales in the next couple of months bring as supply once more catches up with demand...

edatoakrun said:
If the low (~2,600) current LEAF dealer inventory reported below is correct, it sounds like Nissan either underestimated LEAF demand or has had problems ramping up production at Smyrna to meet it.

definitely plausible. there have been issues that needs to be addressed. random recalls, software updates, charging issues all of which will slow it down a bit. it is a new model with a new assembly location so a few bugs are to be expected although integrating the LEAF with an existing line would smooth that out a bit

I've been waiting since late March for my color/package Leaf to come off the line. I don't even have an expected delivery date yet :cry:

TomT said:

edatoakrun said:

LTLFTcomposite said:
smkettner said:
6 weeks is probably a bit low and 7 months seems way high.
Is there a fire sale on Volts in the offing?

I believe ~ 60 days inventory is usually considered ideal.

Read the article linked. Sounds like the fire sale on Volts has started already...

...In an effort to boost April sales, Chevrolet continued an earlier program offering $3,000 cash off the price of a Volt, which could also be used in conjunction with other available incentive programs ($1,000+), and some dealership-level discounting…making purchases of the Volt start as low as $34,000 for the savvy consumer...

http://insideevs.com/april-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's working. An acquaintance who was ready to buy a Leaf decided on a Volt instead because of the incentives.

...In an effort to boost April sales, Chevrolet continued an earlier program offering $3,000 cash off the price of a Volt, which could also be used in conjunction with other available incentive programs ($1,000+), and some dealership-level discounting…making purchases of the Volt start as low as $34,000 for the savvy consumer...

DaveinOlyWA said:
I guess a real question to present to the board is has anyone seen signs of a constrained supply? lack of colors, options, waiting for delivery? etc.
We only have a single one, red SL I think, in Pasco.
DaveinOlyWA said:
your dealer was lazy. they probably could have gotten the right color for you in one day by trading with another dealer. I met someone who had color issues as well but his dealer (Fife) traded with another Seattle area dealer and he drove his home the very next day
Yes, I spoke with a new owner who had one delivered from Portland, so swaps are common.

When you look at the chart at the bottom of this page at
http://insideevs.com/april-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The YTD numbers have Leaf and Volt almost the same and Tesla is out in front of both. Now that Tesla is producing about 500 per week does this trend continue for the rest of the year ?

Does anyone know what the current Tesla back log is ?

It also appears that the west coast is doing really well on LEAF sales. Notice how the states with the highest number of public charge stations have the highest EV sales ?

And there’s Seattle, too. In Seattle, Nissan dealers have been selling LEAFs at such a high rate that several have reportedly asked for additional supply and have contacted Nissan to inquire about running a LEAF-led sales event.

Nissan, however, turned down that request as it says its factory in Smyrna, TN is not yet cranking out enough LEAFs to support such an event, according to Erik Gottfried, newly appointed LEAF sales and marketing director.

http://insideevs.com/nissan-dealers-in-san-francisco-portland-and-seattle-selling-leafs-at-unbelievable-rate-request-additional-supply/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Well, we do know that most of the cars delivered in March still had Japan sourced motors/batteries. Anyone look at the domestic content label of a more recent LEAF or one out on a dealer lot?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Yogi62 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I guess a real question to present to the board is has anyone seen signs of a constrained supply? lack of colors, options, waiting for delivery? etc.

Yes, I was looking for a red SV without QC, and all 4 red SV's in the northeast had QC. I had to settle for blue again. Maybe a red one will be available later in the year.

I don't think these numbers count how many are traded in or come off lease, right?

no, should only be # of new VINs put out in the wild whether sold or leased. returns would be used and completely different list.

your dealer was lazy. they probably could have gotten the right color for you in one day by trading with another dealer. I met someone who had color issues as well but his dealer (Fife) traded with another Seattle area dealer and he drove his home the very next day

Not so sure about lazy. Within 500 miles of boston there are 199 Leafs for sale (on autotrader). 11 are red. 3 are red SV. 1 is a red SV without QC and a black interior (ya I wanted that too). That's a recent listing and it is in North Carolina, 585 miles away. Nothing that matched in the 60 day delivery pipeline in the region. There are very few dealers with more than a couple in the northeast. This dealer had 7 total, and had to swap to get the blue one and ate the cost of an extra option I did not have to pay for (the "protection package").

There are 1,148 Volts for sale in the same area.

My wife and I just put a deposit down on April 20th to order a 2013 SV...looks like it's going to be a long summer waiting for a delivery date! :(

michapok said:
I've been waiting since late March for my color/package Leaf to come off the line. I don't even have an expected delivery date yet :cry:

TomT said:

edatoakrun said:

Only waiting on Focus Electric now:

c-max energi: 411
fusion energi: 365

KJD said:
The YTD numbers have Leaf and Volt almost the same and Tesla is out in front of both. Now that Tesla is producing about 500 per week does this trend continue for the rest of the year ?

Possible, but certainly not set in stone.
Demand will soften as the initial surge is worked through.
Demand will increase as deliveries to the rest of the world start.
Demand will increase as more people get a chance to see the car up close.

I suspect that will balance out to 20-25k per year, but who knows?

KJD said:
Does anyone know what the current Tesla back log is ?

New orders are reporting a 1-2 month wait which would roughly equate to 2000-5000 unit backlog.

KJD said:
It also appears that the west coast is doing really well on LEAF sales. Notice how the states with the highest number of public charge stations have the highest EV sales ?

Yes, but that is a simple correlation. Which is cause and which is effect?

Statik said:
Only waiting on Focus Electric now:

c-max energi: 411
fusion energi: 365

C-Max Energi seems to go down every month. Is Ford happy with that - what is their explanation ? If the sales of Energi & FFE are similar - that would be a blow to their long held belief that PHEVs sell better than EVs.

Sorry forgot to come back to the thread..been siting on this a bit.

147 for the Focus EV

...see you next month, lol

This may be an unpopular view but personally, outside of the Volt, I see little reason to buy a PHEV. Their range is simply too limited and the cost too high... If you are not going to buy a BEV, a HEV makes more sense than the current crop of PHEVs.

evnow said:
If the sales of Energi & FFE are similar - that would be a blow to their long held belief that PHEVs sell better than EVs.

TomT said:
This may be an unpopular view but personally, outside of the Volt, I see little reason to buy a PHEV. Their range is simply too limited and the cost too high...
Agreed. My brother priced a plugin Prius - doesn't make sense compared to a regular Prius, which he already has. We just take my Leaf every weekend to Claremont (50 miles), charge while we are hiking Mt. Baldy, then drive back.

TomT said:
This may be an unpopular view but personally, outside of the Volt, I see little reason to buy a PHEV. Their range is simply too limited and the cost too high... If you are not going to buy a BEV, a HEV makes more sense than the current crop of PHEVs.
I also agree. The Volt hits the sweet spot with decent electric range plus unlimited gasoline range if needed. The other PHEVs? Not so much.

Valdemar said:
In CA, many buy PHEVs just for the HOV lane sticker.
Which is why I'm puzzled at the low/lowering Plug In Prius numbers ... even if you don't plug it in you get great MPGs. (Last Monday I *only* got 42 MPG driving my Volt on gas only for 200+ miles - 42 is from a reset of the odo after ran out of battery.)

scottf200 said:
Valdemar said:
In CA, many buy PHEVs just for the HOV lane sticker.
Which is why I'm puzzled at the low/lowering Plug In Prius numbers ... even if you don't plug it in you get great MPGs. (Last Monday I *only* got 42 MPG driving my Volt on gas only for 200+ miles - 42 is from a reset of the odo after ran out of battery.)

I'm puzzled they are selling at all. My best guess is that the number of people willing to pay a hefty premium just for the HOV sticker is limited.

Back