SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weylan said:
Any one know if Phil is going to make it? Ii want to pick up a charger if he has them, but I don't know if I have the range to come if he isn't going to be there. I have 78 miles to drive Saturday all bEfore 1:15pm.

I sent an email on his site but didn't hear back.
If you charge to 100% tonight, you should be fine. You can pick up a few extra miles range at the meeting.

Attached are minutes of the July SF BayLEAFs meeting. Many thanks to linkim for doing his usual, excellent job. The next meeting will be held at Luscious Garage in San Francisco on August 5th (Sunday).

Thanks to Hewlett Packard (HP) for hosting the SF BayLEAFs; we had a very enjoyable meeting on July 14, 2012 at their facilities in Cupertino. Unfortunately, this will be the last time HP will be able to host the SF BayLEAFs meeting at this site. There were 55 BayLEAFs including 10 new members in attendance, along with about 36 LEAFs , one RAV4 EV, 2 Ford Focus EVs, 2 Volts, a Corbin Sparrow and a Honda Civic converted from ICE to EV in the parking lot.

New members from the Bay Area and beyond attended the meeting, with JeremyW making the trip in his LEAF from Folsom, about 150 miles one way. With an early morning start and a QC in San Ramon, he was able to arrive for coffee and bagels before the meeting started. Other driver came from Santa Rosa, Aptos and Gilroy, as well as further north along the peninsula towards San Francisco.

We also had special guests from TV Tokyo (tv-tokyo.co.jp))/DUO Creative Communications (Duocc.com), who videotaped the meeting for viewing in Japan. The crew is from TV Tokyo's “FUTURE CENTURY ZIPANGU“ (Zinpangu/Jipangu is another name for Japan, which is used in a myth or adventure story. Its metaphor is a rich and prospering country.). FUTURE CENTURY ZIPANGU is one of the most popular Science, Environment, and Technology programs in Japan. It is the Japanese equivalent of "NOVA", and the segment will air in September in Japan titled "Electric Cars in America" which focuses on the EV sales growth in the U.S. market, and will feature the SF BayLEAFs. As soon as we get a copy we will post it on the SF BayLEAFs website.

Gascant reported on the SF BayLEAF members efforts that resulted in Nissan’s implementation of an upgrade to CARWINGs that improved forecast of electricity consumption by the traction battery and prediction of vehicle range. Felix Kramer of Calcars and Rachel Schapira are leading an effort to improve EV driving experience in the Driving Electric Initiative. The aim is to post reports on the internet that describe EV driving experiences that others can read, and help them to enhance their own EV experience. The details are on their website (http://beta.drivingelectric.org/get-involved" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

To further promote EVs and the LEAF, gascant requested that anyone involved in EV events of interest should forward the information to [email protected] so it can be included on the SF BayLEAF website (http://sfbayleafs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). To improve the type of information presented on the website, lemketron volunteered to provide information useful to new LEAF owners, and ElectricVehicle will provide updated charger status reports.

ElectricVehicle updated the audience on the status of Quick Charger installations in the Bay Area. He reported Nissan has developed two QCs – basic (about $10K, and advanced (starting at $15.5K). The advanced units are now being shipped. Besides the QCs sites at Stanford, Belmont and San Ramon, the Nissan dealer in Santa Rosa has installed a QC. In addition, Ecotality is under contract to install 8 more QCs in the Bay Area, which should come online in Sept. 2012.

Plug in America (PIA) has designed laminated cards where a cell phone contact is provided that can be placed on the dashboard that reads “CHARGE NEEDED” on one side and “OK TO UNPLUG” on the other side. The goal is to provide more information to reduce “charge anxiety” at public chargers. The information on the cards will be available for download from the PIA website (http://www.pluginamerica.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Gascant led a recap discussion on Refuel 2012 held at Laguna Seca on July 1 where 5 LEAF owners raced their vehicles on the track with other EVs from Tesla, BMW and Volt, for example. psps’ daughter showed an interesting video clip so the rest of us could enjoy the activities. Nissan provide a portable QC that was powered by a diesel generator. There was some discussion whether it met the environmental standards set by CARB. JeremyW mentioned the LEAF did not suffer any technical issues such as were experienced with other EVs that experienced thermal problems. The fastest time for a LEAF on the 2.24 mile track was clocked by nader at 2:02.885 minutes, with a top speed of 83 mph. His time was better than some Tesla Roadsters, ActiveE and Coda vehicles. Nader had better tires for this event, and was able to shave nearly 12 secs from his time from last year. However, the downside is there is about a 30% hit to the range. Some of the rookie LEAF drivers, as well as the veterans, are looking forward to next year’s event.

The guest speaker was Paul Goldman, CEO, of juicedhybrid.com, which was launched in 2008 to supply HeV/EV accessories, primarily for HEVs (mainly Prius). Details of the company and available accessories are described on their website at
http://www.juicedhybrid.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. More recently, the company started stocking accessories for the LEAF such as floor mats, body side molding, car cover, heat shield – windshield visor, seat extensions, shark fin antenna and steering wheel cover. Paul asked for suggestions on other accessories that would be popular with LEAF owners, and he got an earful of suggestions, many of which are discussed on MNL forum and at the Dec. 3, 2011 meeting with Nissan at Google (for example, a few are sun visor extension, headrests in rear that allow better visibility, suspension mod, tires, wheels, seat covers, horn, inside air filter).

Turbo3 demonstrated the features of his new SOC meter (WattsLeft Monitor) which in not quite ready for commercial prime time but getting there. The instrument offers various options such as 4 energy usage screens, real-time display screens (% battery capacity, gids, discharge/regen power, charge/discharge time, battery voltage and current, motor rpm). The monitor is contained in an ABS box (95 x 48 x 38 mm) and utilizes a 2 x 16 character LCD display and uses a 8-pin header to connect to OBDII. A rotary selector is used to monitor the various display screens, and Bluetooth capability will be available.

The crew from TV Tokyo was quietly taking videos of the proceeding in the parking lot and during the meeting. In addition, they interviewed several LEAF owners, as well as drivers of other EVs (Ford, RAV4 and modified Honda). They were interested in a survey of questions relating to the environment, such as “How many LEAF owners purchased or leased the car for environmental reasons?”, “How many members have done non-solar eco-friendly improvements to their homes?”, “How many members have solar power?”, and “How many members think the LEAF is fun to drive?”, as well several other interesting questions. The final stop of their trip was a visit to Waidy’s home, which has over 40 kW of solar power and multiple L2 chargers in her garage. More interviews and discussion with many LEAF owners who drove from Cupertino took place.

The meeting ended with further discussion in the parking lot and a horn clinic with OrientExpress where one LEAF had a new horn installed.

Future meetings of interest:

July 21, 9 AM: EAASV Meeting, HP, Cupertino (demonstration vehicles will be on display)
July 31 Workshop: Mountain View Google, “Workplace Charging” sponsored by Cal START and Google), registration required
Aug. 5: Luscious Garage, San Francisco, Joint SF BayLEAFs/GGEVA meeting.
Aug. 23-4: SAP Palo Alto, “Charged 2012 EV Symposium”, registration required
Aug. 25-6: Sunnyvale Centennial Celebration, parade and LEAF booth volunteers needed
Sept. 23: San Francisco, National Plug-in Day

garygid said:
Splendid work!
Your seeds are growing.
Glad Jeremy got "out of" Folsom
to attend your meeting.

Unfortunately for us, Jeremy has to go "back into" Folsom. Perhaps he will be good and get out of Folsom for the Aug. 5 mtg. in SF.

Thanks guys for hosing a great meeting. :D I had a lot of fun talking to some familiar and not so familiar faces. Waidy has an awesome house that I am incredibly jealous of! I had a great lunch with some of the guys too. I was interviewed by the TV crew and hope to see myself in the program. They were quite impressed by my dedication to be there, as well as my passion for electric cars and renewable energy.

My total mileage for the day was 335 miles. I went Folsom--> Vacaville (L2 for 2h 20 min) --> San Romon (QC for 30 min) --> Cupertino (L2 for 4h) --> Waidy's house (L2 for 2h) --> San Romon (QC for 30 min) --> Dixie (L2 for 1h 30 min) --> Sac (SMUD HQ) (L2 for 30 min) --> Folsom

The trip took from 2 AM Saturday morning till midnight. The trip really highlighted for me that there actually is a surprising amount of level 2 around these parts, and it is useful if you're willing to wait. However, I did this trip going mostly 50 mph to stretch my range. This worked fine early in the morning (I even was going 45-48 mph for some of it during heavy winds), but I was worried a bit for my safety getting back. Saturday night on the freeway being such a slowpoke even in the right lane was nerve racking! For this reason, I won't be making further trips in one day unless there's a quick charger that's working in Vacaville.

The trip has inspired me to try to see what I can do, if anything, to help get that Vacaville quick charger unwrapped from the legal tape it's in so we can start using it again.

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
Thanks guys for hosing a great meeting. :D I had a lot of fun talking to some familiar and not so familiar faces.

The trip has inspired me to try to see what I can do, if anything, to help get that Vacaville quick charger unwrapped from the legal tape it's in so we can start using it again.

Jeremy
Glad you made the trip! We definitely need more QC in the SF-SAC corridor and all over the Bay Area (not to mention California in general). I used the Belmont QC today and spent more time waiting than charging because I only needed 10 minutes of QC to make it home.

The August SF BayLEAFs meeting will take place on Sunday, the 5th, at Luscious Garage in San Francisco. The program is yet to be determined, but we are in discussions PG&E to have someone talk about the proposal for revised E-9 rate structure for EV owners. Members are invited to submit items for the agenda–a good chance to demonstrate the latest mods, spreadsheets, or activities that are of interest to the group. Will post more details as they are available.

As per the usual custom, this meeting will be held jointly with the Golden Gate Electric Vehicle Association. This promises to be an exciting 2nd half, with presentations from 1) Tesla, on the Model S sedan currently being released, and 2) Alan Soule, President of the North Bay EAA chapter who will be describing his journey along Route 66 (from Chicago to LA) in his Tesla Roadster.

Bring a folding or lawn chair to be guaranteed a seat since the garage has only 40 chairs available.

NOTE: Charging at the meeting site is extremely limited. Two of the six spaces are already reserved. There are lots of stations within 1 mile of Luscious Garage.

JeremyW said:
I'm interested in coming, but I think I'll have to leaf-frog for it. :) Anyone coming from the Davis area?

Jeremy
If there is no LEAFfrog available, isn't there an AMTRAK train from Sac to SF?

gascant said:
JeremyW said:
I'm interested in coming, but I think I'll have to leaf-frog for it. :) Anyone coming from the Davis area?

Jeremy
If there is no LEAFfrog available, isn't there an AMTRAK train from Sac to SF?
There is an AMTRAK train between Sac and Emeryville. You get off the train and take a bus across the Bay Bridge to SF. There is a drop off at the Embarcadero and several other locations in the city. Don't know the Amtrak schedule on Sunday, but you may need to take an overnight train to make the Sunday meeting.

JeremyW said:
Could you make it to Walnut Creek? Perhaps Warren and Patty were planning to attend the meeting.

Well, Amtrak is $50 and doesn't save me too much time. Walnut creek is still thin the 100 mile range from here. I think I may just tough it out and make it another all day event for me. It's that route 66 guy: if he can go that distance, I think I can push myself to make it out on my own.

What time does the meeting start? Oh, and save me a charger, will ya? ;)

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
Well, Amtrak is $50 and doesn't save me too much time. Walnut creek is still thin the 100 mile range from here. I think I may just tough it out and make it another all day event for me. It's that route 66 guy: if he can go that distance, I think I can push myself to make it out on my own.

Jeremy
All the more reason to keep working on Vacaville! The meeting officially starts at 9 but I will get Carolyn to open the shop well before then so we can do the usual drive in, park, and refreshments. Will save an outlet for you--have you gotten the EVSE upgrade yet? Luscious Garage has L6-20 outlets so the best way to take advantage is to use the upgrade. If you don't have it yet, you can probably talk Phil into bringing one for you to swap/purchase.

gascant said:
JeremyW said:

Jeremy
All the more reason to keep working on Vacaville! The meeting officially starts at 9 but I will get Carolyn to open the shop well before then so we can do the usual drive in, park, and refreshments. Will save an outlet for you--have you gotten the EVSE upgrade yet? Luscious Garage has L6-20 outlets so the best way to take advantage is to use the upgrade. If you don't have it yet, you can probably talk Phil into bringing one for you to swap/purchase.

I did get my upgrade, so I'm set with a L6-20. Will plan out my trip, but it looks like it will be slightly easier this time around since it's just a straight shot into the bay. I'm going to make some noise today to see if I can use the Vacaville QC. Not too hopeful though. :|

Jeremy

Minutes of the August SF BayLEAFs meeting, courtesy of (and thanks to) linkim:

The Aug. 5, 2012 SF BayLEAFs meeting was held at Luscious Garage in San Francisco; thanks to Carolyn for graciously hosting us again in tandem with GGEVA.
There were about 45 members in attendance, along with 5 LEAFs charging in the garage during the meeting and many more LEAfs parked outside on the street. In addition a Lotus EV and Mitsubishi iMEV were present. Later a Tesla Roadster and a Model S Sedan drove in for the GGEVA meeting that took place after the BayLEAF meeting. Ten new people attended the meeting, with JeremyW making the trip again in his LEAF from Folsom, about 150 miles one way, with a quick charge on the way.

Carolyn announced that Luscious Garage was hosting their 5th anniversary celebration on Sept. 15th at the garage from 4 – 8 PM. There is a full slate of EV activities in the coming months:

EAA SV meeting, Aug. 18 (Cupertino)
East Bay EAA meeting, Aug. 25 (Alameda)
GGVA, Sept. 9 (Luscious Garage, SF)
Charged 2012, Aug. 23-4 (SAP, Palo Alto, registration required)
Sunnyvale Centennial, August 25-6 (Sunnyvale, organizers are looking for LEAFs to participate in the parade on Aug. 25)
National Plug in Day, Sept. 23 (Crissy Field, SF)

The activities at Crissy Field (10 AM – 4 PM) are being coordinated with Plug in America, Sierra Club and SF BayLEAFs, along with strong support from Nissan USA. Nissan plans to have EVs available as well a portable QC unit for use.

The California Plug in Electric Vehicle (PEV) collaborative (http://www.pevcollaborative.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), a public-private partnership, is holding their next membership meeting on Aug. 15th in Palo Alto, and is seeking input from EV owners and managers of multi-dwelling units. Their mission statement is “Under the guidance of a multi-stakeholder executive membership, the Collaborative will facilitate the deployment of PEVs in California to meet economic, energy and environmental goals. Using the broad and diverse expertise of each member, the Collaborative will augment, broaden and communicate existing PEV stakeholder activities and gaps to enable PEV market growth.”

Waidy requested assistance with the Aug. 9th event involving Tokyo TV, who attended the last SF BayLEAF meeting on July 14, 2012 at HP in Cupertino. Tokyo TV wants to film EV charging activities at Crissy Field (9 AM), Blink QC charging station at Belmont at 11 AM [need volunteer(s)], and at 3. 12:30PM at Stanford shopping mall [need volunteer(s)].

Gascant mentioned that the first Honda Fit EV was purchased by Keijidosha, who passed through the Bay Area as part of the team driving TonyWilliams’ LEAF on its return journey on the BC2BC trip. On a more sensitive topic, it appears that many LEAF owners have not received their federal tax credit. There is discussion underway with Nissan to determine what the issues are that are hampering the tax credits. Gascant also mentioned that the SFBayLEAFs is seeking an at-large member for its Board of Directors (currently 4 directors). Also other volunteers are needed for helping with social activities and website input.

ElectricVehicle provide an update on the status of QCs, particularly in the Bay Area. There are QCs operational at San Ramon, Santa Rosa, Belmont and Stanford Shopping center. Plans are underway by 350 Green to have 5 more QCs by the end of 2012 at Santa Clara, Pal Alto, San Leandro and San Francisco (2 units). JeremyW has been leading the effort to have the QC installed at Vacaville made publicly available. It appears that Eaton will have an UL-listed unit in place in 3 months. psps recapped the CALSTART workshop held at Google on July 31. Details are presented at http://www.CALSTART.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The featured speaker was Ms. Genevieve Dufau from PGE. She provided some background information on time-of-use (TOU) rates and the various options that are available for EV owners (E1, E6, E7, E9). Presently there are less than 1% of total customers in the PGE area that are EV owners (about 5000 out of about 5M). PGE presented a new EV revised rate plan on May 9, 2012 that led to 75 protests, and a re-evaluation by the utility. The off-peak rate is now going to be less than $0.10/kWh to end of 2014, and the utility is giving customers an opportunity to support PGE’s effort (“Green Option”) to increase their renewable energy footprint to much more than their current 20%. In addition, PGE is exploring V2G, on-line rate calculator and next-generation rate structure. More details relevant to electric vehicle owners are available at http://www.pge.com/en/search/index.page?query=electric+vehicle&qp=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The next SF BayLEAFs meeting will be held on Sept. 8 in Redwood City.

I'd be interested in more details of the PGE discussion. Was there any discussion on why TOU adoption is so low? To me, the stick-to-carrot ratio is too high. Also, was the issue of QC Demand-charges discussed?

Thanks,

gascant said:
...Gascant mentioned that the first Honda Fit EV was purchased by Keijidosha, who passed through the Bay Area as part of the team driving TonyWilliams’ LEAF on its return journey on the BC2BC trip...

Purchased or leased? I thought FitEV was lease only right now.

TEG said:
gascant said:
...Gascant mentioned that the first Honda Fit EV was purchased by Keijidosha, who passed through the Bay Area as part of the team driving TonyWilliams’ LEAF on its return journey on the BC2BC trip...

Purchased or leased? I thought FitEV was lease only right now.

They are lease only. That way,mthey get them all back and crush them. No further liability, and no tens years of USA required parts and warranty service.

Back