SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Please pass on my observation, that the air quality of the Bay Area would be improved, if California, had ONE DC CHARGE STATION near Vacaville, as well as one located on I-5 North, I-5 South, And 80/50 East, from 50 to 75 miles further out, to allow bay area BEV drivers to take their zero-emission cars on longer trips, and allow BEV drivers from outside the Bay area, to drive their zero-emission cars, when they travel there.
It's so sad that we here in the supposedly environmentally progressive Bay Area have such a low amount public charge infrastructure. Not to mention the fact that's there's a perfectly good QC sitting right in Vacaville in a good location that's unable to be used because of silly politics.

It would probably take under $20k to get one of the new Nissan QC's put in there, since everything is already in place.

-Phil

edatoakrun said:
Please pass on my observation, that the air quality of the Bay Area would be improved, if California, had ONE DC CHARGE STATION near Vacaville, as well as one located on I-5 North, I-5 South, And 80/50 East, from 50 to 75 miles further out, to allow bay area BEV drivers to take their zero-emission cars on longer trips, and allow BEV drivers from outside the Bay area, to drive their zero-emission cars, when they travel there.
For people living around San Jose (or the South Bay generally), as well as the Central Coast and the San Joaquin Valley, I would think another key route to cover would be CA-152, with the most logical points being near the intersections of CA-1, US-101, I-5, and CA-99. There really are only three routes of significance between the coast and the 450 mile long Central Valley: I-80, I-580, and CA-152. (Well, OK, I-5 from the southern tip of the Valley eventually takes you to the coast -- i.e. LA -- over the Grapevine, but I'm talking about significant routes over the Coast Range.)

Ray

Ingineer said:
I hope to attend the Saturday meeting and will have EVSE's and Climate Control upgrades on hand for those needing them.

I will also be happy to demonstrate developments in the parking lot,
including the LEAFSCAN prototype.

-Phil

If I come to your office on late afternoon Fiday, June 15 or the afternoon Sat, June 16, could I do a short video promo with you demonstrating your products?

planet4ever said:
For people living around San Jose (or the South Bay generally), as well as the Central Coast and the San Joaquin Valley, I would think another key route to cover would be CA-152, with the most logical points being near the intersections of CA-1, US-101, I-5, and CA-99. There really are only three routes of significance between the coast and the 450 mile long Central Valley: I-80, I-580, and CA-152. (Well, OK, I-5 from the southern tip of the Valley eventually takes you to the coast -- i.e. LA -- over the Grapevine, but I'm talking about significant routes over the Coast Range.)

Ray

I'd love to help with that, and I plan to talk about that very idea at the Electric Auto Association meeting on June 16.

TonyWilliams said:
If I come to your office on late afternoon Fiday, June 15 or the afternoon Sat, June 16, could I do a short video promo with you demonstrating your products?
Possibly, Contact me directly offlist.

-Phil

We’ve confirmed the location–the Oak Room in Building 48 on the Hewlett Packard Campus in Cupertino. The agenda will be fairly brief this time, and a sizable portion of the meeting will be devoted to LEAF clinics–accessories, upgrades and maintenance. If you have something you would like to share, send us an email at [email protected].

8:00 AM: Coffee/Bagels in parking lot

9:00-11:00 AM: Meeting

11:00 AM: Further informal discussions, horn upgrade.

The HP campus is adjacent to Interstate 280 at Wolfe Road. Very limited charging is available on site. Sunnyvale Nissan is nearby and the DCQC at Stanford Shopping Center is on the way for Peninsula/SF members. Look for further details in the next weeks.

I am planning on going to this, however, I will need on site charging or at the Sunnyvale dealer. It's about 145 miles from Folsom to Cupertino. My first EV adventure! :twisted:

The current plan is to charge in Sacramento, Vacaville, San Ramon QC (Dublin library alternate), and then onsite in Cupertino. Reverse will be somewhat similar. I'm going to have to leave very early in the morning to be there by 8am. I probably won't be home till late evening.

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
I am planning on going to this, however, I will need on site charging or at the Sunnyvale dealer. It's about 145 miles from Folsom to Cupertino. My first EV adventure! :twisted:

Quite a trip! You might check the Blink network before you set out. There are two NEMA 14-50 Outlets on site. If you have the modified Nissan EVSE and the adapter, you can pick up a good 4 hours of L2. If not, you can likely borrow one from any one of us. Most of us carry them around in the car religiously.

I am a new Leaf owner in Santa Clara, and will try to attend this meeting. I just ordered the PIAA 400/500 Hz horns from Amazon, so if i haven't got them installed by then, it would be a good time to do the mod.

I am very tempted to upgrade my Nissan trickle charger to 240V so I can use the dryer outlet in my own garage, as well as the hookups available in RV parks. I've been waiting a few weeks for Blink to get back to me about a free EVSE. Today I ran the battery down to 1 bar, and it will take more than half a day to charge it to 100%. I'd really like to have L2 charging at home.

I am planning to put a 50 watt 144/440 MHz dual band transceiver in the car, with antenna on the trunk lip. Does anyone know if this is likely to cause issues with the automobile electronics?

Best regards,
John

MaxPower said:
I am a new Leaf owner in Santa Clara, and will try to attend this meeting. I just ordered the PIAA 400/500 Hz horns from Amazon, so if i haven't got them installed by then, it would be a good time to do the mod.

I am very tempted to upgrade my Nissan trickle charger to 240V so I can use the dryer outlet in my own garage, as well as the hookups available in RV parks. I've been waiting a few weeks for Blink to get back to me about a free EVSE. Today I ran the battery down to 1 bar, and it will take more than half a day to charge it to 100%. I'd really like to have L2 charging at home.

I am planning to put a 50 watt 144/440 MHz dual band transceiver in the car, with antenna on the trunk lip. Does anyone know if this is likely to cause issues with the automobile electronics?

Best regards,
John

John, Get Phil's mod on the EVSE. If you send him an e-mail, he usually brings modified EVSEs to the meetings, and you hand him money and your EVSE. Here is his links http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and evseupgrade.com. I do not think 50 watts will affect the electronics in the car. Most cars now a days, are loaded with electronics and I have not heard of any problems. I got my air horns for my Leaf at Harbor Freight down near you at 5241 STEVENS CREEK BLVD.
SANTA CLARA,CA, and they have a verity of horns . Ted McNamara W6GMY

gascant said:
There are two NEMA 14-50 Outlets on site. If you have the modified Nissan EVSE and the adapter, you can pick up a good 4 hours of L2. If not, you can likely borrow one from any one of us. Most of us carry them around in the car religiously.

I'd like to reserve one of those 14-50's, and probably someone's adapter. I plan on getting the EVSE upgrade done while my car is being trucked up north.

I'm excited to see the group! I think you'll recognize me by the slogan on my shirt... ;)

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
I'd like to reserve one of those 14-50's, and probably someone's adapter. I plan on getting the EVSE upgrade done while my car is being trucked up north.

I'm excited to see the group! I think you'll recognize me by the slogan on my shirt... ;)
Jeremy, there are couple of Avcon stations as well and several of us own adapters. I believe that you would have one of the highest charging priorities, and I'm pretty sure that we'll get you situated. Congrats on your Leaf, and thank you for coming out to see us!

Reminder: This Saturday, July 14th is our next SF BayLEAFs monthly membership meeting. We have a pretty full agenda, including guest speaker Paul Goldman of juicedhybrid.com, who will talk about aftermarket accessories for the LEAF, and solicit ideas for future accessories and mods (trailer hitch is fair game!). He's counting on a two-way dialog to make this happen. We'll also do a recap of Refuel 2012 as several who attended will be present. Finally, there will be a crew from Tokyo TV, who will be filming the meeting and some one-on-one interviews. They are producing a one hour show on EV's in America and chose to attend our meeting to learn about EV adoption. Also, for anyone that wants to do a horn upgrade, we can do that following the meeting, in the parking lot (in the shade, hopefully).

Location: HP Cupertino Campus, 19483 Pruneridge Ave, Cupertino. Bldg 48 Oak Room (see below for map)
Times: Refreshments 8:00 AM
Meeting: 9:00 AM
Discussion/Horn Clinic: 11:00 AM (or so).
Charging: On site charging for LEAFs is limited to two NEMA 14-50 outlets, one of which is already reserved for JeremyW, who is making the trip from Folsom. Stevens Creek Nissan is nearby.
Special note: This will be our last meeting at the HP Cupertino site since it's being torn down to make way for the new owner. Many thanks to HP for being a fervent supporter of SF BayLEAFs.

We'd really like to have a big crowd for both our speaker and the TV crew. See you there!
cupcampus.gif

planet4ever said:
edatoakrun said:

Ray

CA-152 would be the CASA de Quick Charge!

surfingslovak said:
JeremyW said:

Jeremy, there are couple of Avcon stations as well and several of us own adapters. I believe that you would have one of the highest charging priorities, and I'm pretty sure that we'll get you situated. Congrats on your Leaf, and thank you for coming out to see us!
Bring your EVSEUpgrades (Phil's upgrade to the Nissan charger). I should be there with a couple splitters to charge two LEAFs from one NEMA 14-50. If others have 14-50 splitters, go ahead and being them in case we need them. A 14-50 to 4 120V circuits could be useful if we have four cars that need 12 miles or less additional range, and we don't feel like moving them mid-meeting.

I'd say all should let the meeting organizers organize the charging to avoid any charger entitlement or charger rage issues like we almost saw at a meeting, long, long ago.

Nekota said:
planet4ever said:
edatoakrun said:

Ray

CA-152 would be the CASA de Quick Charge!
We'll get our chance to provide input around the end of Summer. BAAQMD planning kicks into high gear then.

I got my car from the shippers yesterday safe and sound, but I haven't had the time to send off my EVSE just yet. Anyone got one I can borrow during the meeting?

Also, if any of you are near the San Ramon QC tonight or tomorrow, I'd love a status update. I'm planning on stopping by just in case, but I'm planning on using L2 around there instead (it's going to be a long wait :|).

Thanks guys!

Jeremy

JeremyW said:
I got my car from the shippers yesterday safe and sound, but I haven't had the time to send off my EVSE just yet. Anyone got one I can borrow during the meeting?

Also, if any of you are near the San Ramon QC tonight or tomorrow, I'd love a status update. I'm planning on stopping by just in case, but I'm planning on using L2 around there instead (it's going to be a long wait :|).

Thanks guys!

Jeremy
I'll have a modified EVSE with NEMA 14-50 Adapter as I'm sure others will, too. You should be good for at least 4 hours charge at the meeting site. When you arrive, we can show you where the charging site is located (not where all the LEAFs will be parked).

Any one know if Phil is going to make it? Ii want to pick up a charger if he has them, but I don't know if I have the range to come if he isn't going to be there. I have 78 miles to drive Saturday all bEfore 1:15pm.

I sent an email on his site but didn't hear back.

Back