SF Bay Area BayLeafs meet - 1 down, more to come

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaryC said:
Sorry I will have to back out, my work just scheduled me for Saturday. Maybe next time.
Well, if it's still available, I'll claim Mary's seat; looks like I may be able to join you guys (and gals?) after all.

Glenn

Glenn said:
MaryC said:
Sorry I will have to back out, my work just scheduled me for Saturday. Maybe next time.
Well, if it's still available, I'll claim Mary's seat; looks like I may be able to join you guys (and gals?) after all.
:lol: No assigned seats, first come, first served.

Today's Murky News says "rain, snow chance" for Saturday :!: :!:
Maybe we should bring parkas and snow chains. Actually, the last time I remember seeing snow in that part of the valley was about 40 years ago, but a high of 49° is rather chilly for the area. I'm not sure how to parse that forecast. Do they mean "chance of rain and/or snow" or "rain, with a chance of snow"? Yesterday they were saying "chance of rain".

In any event, I plan to be there, weather or no.

Ray

Rain, sleet, snow or shine.........I'll be there :cool:

Side note: If anyone wants to show off the car and it's bad weather, City of Mountain View has an underground garage we could move to for a viewing or a garage next to CVS Pharmacy, off California and Castro Streets.

planet4ever said:

Ray
Any chance anyone from Berkeley/Oakland/nearby is going and would like to carpool? I'm assuming we'd have to take an old fashioned ICEer! :) :)

planet4ever said:

Ray

I meant to call Clarke's today to see how many they could accommodate indoors. I think we could push some tables together and make it a group, but I'll call and find out for sure. If not, maybe we can have an alternate in mind.

Glenn said:
planet4ever said:

Ray
Any chance anyone from Berkeley/Oakland/nearby is going and would like to carpool? I'm assuming we'd have to take an old fashioned ICEer! :) :)

I'm planning on going, but I think I'm going to hit the Annual EAA meeting in Palo Alto first. It starts at 10am and is over at noon, so it fits well.

gascant said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

I meant to call Clarke's today to see how many they could accommodate indoors. I think we could push some tables together and make it a group, but I'll call and find out for sure. If not, maybe we can have an alternate in mind.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternative--Mexican place at 1005 North Shoreline Blvd., 1 block off 101 in Mountain View called: Fiesta Del Mar comes to mind. ph: 1(650)965-9354 (excellent parking situation.)

gasmiser1 said:
gascant said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Alternative--Mexican place at 1005 North Shoreline Blvd., 1 block off 101 in Mountain View called: Fiesta Del Mar comes to mind. ph: 1(650)965-9354 (excellent parking situation.)

I called Clarke's just now. Inside seating is very limited--they said they could accommodate, at most, a group of 10 sitting together at a single table/booth. If we want to split up into groups of 4-6, no problem. Let's get a consensus today/tonight among the active folks about the preference. I think I counted about 13 tentative attendees, so sitting together at Clarke's is dicey. Gasmiser do you think that Fiesta Del Mar can accommodate a group?

gascant said:
I called Clarke's just now. Inside seating is very limited--they said they could accommodate, at most, a group of 10 sitting together at a single table/booth. If we want to split up into groups of 4-6, no problem. Let's get a consensus today/tonight among the active folks about the preference. I think I counted about 13 tentative attendees, so sitting together at Clarke's is dicey. Gasmiser do you think that Fiesta Del Mar can accommodate a group?

Maybe we should set up a google spreadsheet for the list of attendees so we can get a good count?

gascant-

I'll go by Fiesta Del Mar on North Shoreline at lunch today and check it out with the manager. *****Not to be confusing: They have another location on Villa (Fiesta Del Mar II) but it is generally too crowded.******

Alternative #2-- Indian food, Passage to India, www.passagetoindia.net 1991 W. El Camino Real, Mountain View, $11.95 buffet or individual dishes prepared. Plenty of tables and parking.

gasmiser1 said:
gascant-

I'll go by Fiesta Del Mar on North Shoreline at lunch today and check it out with the manager. *****Not to be confusing: They have another location on Villa (Fiesta Del Mar II) but it is generally too crowded.******

Alternative #2-- Indian food, Passage to India, http://www.passagetoindia.net 1991 W. El Camino Real, Mountain View, $11.95 buffet or individual dishes prepared. Plenty of tables and parking.
---------------------------------------------
Alternative #3--Italian food, Frankie, Johnnie and Luigi too, www.fjlmountainview.com 939 W. El Camino Real, Mountain View. Table situation should work for a group.

I'm still planning on coming even in bad weather. I prefer Clarke's and I prefer being at a table with 3 - 5 others. It's easier to converse. I find that when you move tables together to put 15 or 20 people in one group you remove available seating (since you remove two seats when two sides are pushed together) and you can really only converse with the two or three people around you anyway. However, that said, if the consensus in the Mexican place, that's OK with me. (I've eaten Mexican twice this week already, though. A burger sounds better). I've never been a fan of F&J&L, either, but I'll go with the groupthink.

I just left Fiesta Del Mar and table situation and parking are excellent. Manager says the tables could be combined.

However---
Problem: changing venue at this point may lose some people attending whom are planning to go to Clarkes, unless they monitor the forum daily/regularly.

You could leave a lookout at Clarks, at least fo a little while.

Also, ask them nicely to let you post a notice with the new meeting-place info?

Or, park a LEAF out front and leave a notice on it!

It looks like I can make it. I'm coming with my two kids. I had planned on taking my snow tires off of my Subaru tonight (skied yesterday), but with the forecast I'll leave them on!

Bill

I looked up the specific NOAA forecast for Mountain View:
Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 45. North wind between 5 and 10 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
The "mostly sunny" part sounds nice, but 45° and windy could be a mite uncomfortable for us soft Californianos. I expect it would be better to plan on moving inside if we stay at Clarke's. The outdoor seating there does have a northerly exposure.

It appears that Fiesta Del Mar would be more comfortable, though somewhat harder on the wallet. It would be a bit closer for people traveling south on 101 and a bit farther if you are coming up 85. It would also be less convenient for people attending the Electric Auto Association meeting in Palo Alto. For anyone who was thinking of coming early, I note that Fiesta Del Mar doesn't open until 12:00.

I'll be willing to go with either one.

Ray

garygid said:
You could leave a lookout at Clarks, at least fo a little while.

Also, ask them nicely to let you post a notice with the new meeting-place info?

Or, park a LEAF out front and leave a notice on it!

Gary: How have the SD or SoCal meetings gone? Do people generally group in 4-6? Or do they have one or two larger tables?

I see gasmiser and Rat have made comments, both of which contain great points (being late to change the venue and having smaller tables). I like the idea of starting a google docs spreadsheet, too, but that would require having everyone's email address, right?

My suggestion is that, unless we get a rash of "large group/table" votes before noon Friday, we stick with Clarke's and make the best of it (after all, many of us are Engineers, right?). I will check back while at work on Friday.

One should make considerable effort to work WITH the resturant management, and NOT offend them or block their normal customers.

The SoCal Gatherings are now twice a month, and being enjoyed be all. One is at a "better" HTB, and the other is at a Dealer's location, in their nice executive meeting room.

The SD Gathering is tomorrow (26 Feb) from about 8:30 to 11:00 am at a "best" HTB with very good food, with plenty of parking, and plenty of indoor seating and flexible tables. There we start with about 8 at two end-to-end tables, which is about maximum for good conversations.

Later as more arrive, they have arranged 6 tables in a hollow rectangle, which then seats about 16, but you can only talk easily to those nearby. Talking across the center "hole" only works well if there is just one person talking.

Maybe I can get them to try a solid rectangle tomorrow, still seating 16, if there is sufficient space, and I can get permission.

Personally, I think groups of 6 or 8 work better for chatting, with folks migrating round a bit (or a lot) after most of the eating is done.

Back