SF Bay Area BayLeafs meet - 1 down, more to come

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, given that we had only two responses last night, let's stay with Clarke's and start assembling sometime before Noon. We can corral a few of their booths (if we only get 13 people, it will not seriously impact them), and then circulate as things progress.

I'm all for working with restaurant management--and maybe we can get one of the dealers to be an alternate venue. Our geographical diversity suggests that we rotate and have 3 or 4 locations so that everyone can drive their LEAF to some reasonable fraction of the meetings. Good suggestions from Gary. This first meeting is kind of ad-hoc, but hopefully we will organize better going forward.

gascant said:
Ok, given that we had only two responses last night, let's stay with Clarke's and start assembling sometime before Noon. We can corral a few of their booths (if we only get 13 people, it will not seriously impact them), and then circulate as things progress.

I'm all for working with restaurant management--and maybe we can get one of the dealers to be an alternate venue. Our geographical diversity suggests that we rotate and have 3 or 4 locations so that everyone can drive their LEAF to some reasonable fraction of the meetings. Good suggestions from Gary. This first meeting is kind of ad-hoc, but hopefully we will organize better going forward.
-------------------------------
Sounds like a plan. We can brain-storm ideas for a near future venue, based on proximity of the members attended.

One idea: we could have a meeting at Boardwalk, if they have a boardroom, like Garygid suggested. We could self-cater and bring in food from one or a few different restaurants to keep the costs down.

gascant said:
... let's stay with Clarke's and start assembling sometime before Noon.
I will attend some of the Annual EAA (Electric Auto Association) General Members Meeting at HP Palo Alto and then head your way.

rclams

rclams said:
gascant said:
... let's stay with Clarke's and start assembling sometime before Noon.
I will attend some of the Annual EAA (Electric Auto Association) General Members Meeting at HP Palo Alto and then head your way.

rclams
My current plans involve carpooling to the EAA meeting and then following in rclams footsteps to Clarke's. See you all there,

Glenn

I think that's 6 for sure, plus those from page 8 (Gudy, Spies, csriram, etc). It could be more than 10 people!
Did anyone else read that we are the #1 market for the LEAF?

gascant said:
Did anyone else read that we are the #1 market for the LEAF?

Doesn't surprise me, as the Bay Area is the number 1 market for Hybrids in the US as well. I think there are more Prii per capita in Berkeley than anywhere else.

Not tacky, but best to get (at least verbal) permission from anybody that can be identified in the picture.

Perhaps say, "Anybody that wants to be in a group picture for the forum, gather over here.", and use a non-people background, like a wall.

It is usually considered polite to give the Witness Protection Program folks time to move out of the picture. :D

Nobody else has chimed in yet, so I guess I'll be the first to say thanks for organizing this great event. I enjoyed meeting all of you who attended and seeing my first customer-owned Leafs in the wild. The food was passable and overpriced, but filling. Next time we'll pick another spot. That was the first cargo organizer I saw. It looked better than I expected, but I don't think it's necessary, and only rarely desirable. I liked the offset license plate holder attached to the tow bracket.

Thanks to all who showed up for the first of many Bay Area Peninsula/South/East Bay meeting of LEAF Enthusiasts. I especially want to thank planet4ever who started this thread. By my estimate, we had 17 Enthusiasts (including 2 actual owners) show up. Glenn gathered a list so he'll have the official count (more later).

The two gas men (or was that gassed men?), gasmiser1 and gascant, met at Clarke's in Mountain View around 11:40, joined shortly thereafter by planet4ever. Shortly after Noon, the flood gates opened (probably had something to do with the EAA meeting letting out) and most everyone was there by 12:15. Given the constraints of the location, we had 4 different discussion groups going in parallel, each of which covered a wide variety of topics. All were spirited as it got pretty loud in the place. We occupied about 1/3 of the available seats/tables.

Around 1PM, the group adjourned to the parking lot, where Andy's LEAF and a couple of PHEV Priuses were parked along with ev's RAV 4. Many others had a Prius and I was especially taken with miser's Honda Insight. Lots of questions and discussions ensued and we'd probably still be there if it weren't for the cold (but sunny) weather. Spies avoided the major crowd and parked his LEAF on the street in the adjacent neighborhood, but still drew a small group towards the end.

In an informal poll, we decided to have meetings on a monthly basis (at first) and at rotating locations. We definitely want to have the Nissan Dealers involved, with Boardwalk in Redwood City as a prime candidate. We'll also line up guest speakers when appropriate. Ingineer also volunteered to start a list server so we can have communications and announcements that will be sure to reach everyone. Glenn will be sending emails to everyone who volunteered their addresses.

Personal note: I was very happy to see so many enthusiasts attending, including two who just joined the forum within the last 24 hours. Seemed like everyone in the group enjoyed the company and the opportunity to share their experiences. You never know how the first meeting of a bunch of strangers will turn out, but I was quite satisfied and am looking forward to the next one. Given the short notice, which limited the overall attendance, I'd guess that we could have >20 for our next meeting. Apologies to those whose names I didn't mention here (or who I did but preferred anonymity). Everyone's contributions were worthwhile.

I'm proposing that we meet April 5th at a location TBD. Let's try to close on the date quickly so everyone can get it on their calendars.

Thanks, again, to all that attended.

Thanks for pulling this together. I look forward to meeting with all of you again, especially once I get my Leaf.

Here are some iPhone pictures of the group:

leafgroup1.jpg

leafgroup2.jpg

I wonder if there is a National owners club yet (like the Porsche club of America)?

BTW, April 5th 2011 is a Tuesday.

I enjoyed the get together also. Great to see everyone. Going to take a few more meetings to memorize all the secret identities - our real names - and our public crusading superhero names we use on the forums. Hmmm.. Don't think anyone has used GreenHornet, Superman or Aquaman yet...

Soon all our meeting locations will have two DC fast chargers as ECOTotality deploys the chargers, Right? :D :eek: :D

And hopefully next time more of us will show up in LEAFs! Today it was two LEAFs and one RAV4 EV electric vehicle. Then there were a few gas burners, though ones that burn much less gas - couple non-plug in Prii and a non-plug in Honda Insight.

Imagine May when we show up and take over the parking lots with 10 or more LEAFs!

Anyway thanks for the get together, it was nice to get a little LEAF fix to cope with the withdrawals until May.

gascant and company..........

Thanks for organizing the event. I enjoyed meeting everyone at the event. Mike(Rav4 EV car), Steve(blue Leaf w/side mount front plate) and I continued to talk until about 4pm :cool:

Nice pics posted by OrientExpress :mrgreen:

Shoot, I totally forgot about the meet and realized about it only yesterday. Looks like you all had a good time. When is the next meet?

Post pics and recap of what topics and info was gathered please.

csriram45 said:
Shoot, I totally forgot about the meet and realized about it only yesterday. Looks like you all had a good time. When is the next meet?

Post pics and recap of what topics and info was gathered please.
See above--topics covered included just about everything under the sun having to do with the LEAF. I couldn't begin to remember them all :p
We're trying to get a consensus date for the next meeting--I'm proposing April 2nd as the group suggested once a month would work out fine.
Send me a PM and I'll make sure you get info on the list server. That way you'll get a reminder about the next one plus any other announcements.

Back