SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's meeting was fantastic!

BTW: If anyone found a pair of reading glasses with a case in the Union City Library parking lot or in the meeting room, they are mine. Let me know.

OrientExpress said:
Today's meeting was fantastic!
Yes, great meeting, it was good to see everyone again. I've uploaded the battery pack presentation. Thank you for the lively discussion, it was fun!

https://acrobat.com/#d=GSYITUXYDvH4EPENbJ4KjA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

teamveevee said:
When will be the next gathering, and where? Can any one attend it?

The next meeting is scheduled for Oct. 1 in San Francisco. The location is Luscious Garage, but has not been confirmed. Please continue to check this thread for updates by Gascant on the specifics of the meeting time, location and agenda. Gascant will be posting the minutes of today's Leaf meeting (Union City Library, Union City) on this thread.
All are welcome to attend and enjoy the social time and discussion.

Kim

linkim said:
teamveevee said:
When will be the next gathering, and where? Can any one attend it?

The next meeting is scheduled for Oct. 1 in San Francisco. The location is Luscious Garage, but has not been confirmed. Please continue to check this thread for updates by Gascant on the specifics of the meeting time, location and agenda. Gascant will be posting the minutes of today's Leaf meeting (Union City Library, Union City) on this thread.
All are welcome to attend and enjoy the social time and discussion.

Kim
What linkim said! :lol:

Any LEAF owners living in Marin County that wouldn't mind letting me get a quick drive with them? I'm 99 % committed with a late November scheduled delivery date, but I''d really like to get one quick drive in before it arrives.

Thanks!

Minutes of SF BayLEAFs Gathering #7, Union City Library, September 10th, 2011

Many thanks to linkim, who graciously took such detailed notes. This was another successful meeting, with at least 38 LEAFs and their owners (panorama view at http://360.io/fsR287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from Tugrik) present. Several more LEAFs were being used by the significant others of attendees so the numbers could have been higher. Total official attendance was 46 (with 9 new members) though we may not have captured everyone. The tail-gate party before and after the indoor meeting was again well-received, with coffee and bagels and active discussion by attendees. A handout that summarizes upgrade of the some light bulbs with LEDs for the LEAF was distributed, as well as 240 V dryer cords and pigtails for the horn upgrade. Gasmiser1 received a free Nissan LEAF T-shirt for recording the highest number of LEAF miles (about 8100 miles) of the meeting attendees.

Some highlights of the meeting are summarized here:

Future Meetings
The next SF BayLEAFs meeting is scheduled, but not confirmed, for Oct. 1 at Luscious Garage in San Francisco. Other meetings of interest to LEAF owners are the Palo Alto EV Rally (Palo Alto High School) on Sept. 24, National Plug-in Day on Oct. 16, and Green Drive Expo (http://www.greendriveexpo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in Richmond, CA on Sept. 17. This event hosted 4000 attendees last year. This year LEAF owners are encouraged to attend and display their vehicles, along with PHEV Priuses, RAV4s and other EVs. There will be 36 L2 charging docks available for EVs owners who register for the Expo for $15 (registration code: MyNissanLEAF).

Special visit by representative from Nissan Japan
Linkim led a discussion the visit of Nissan Chief Electric Vehicle Engineer. The meeting that was originally scheduled on October 8, 2011 with SF BayLEAFs was changed to December 3, 2011 because of scheduling difficulties. Linkim will coordinate with the local Nissan representative based in Mountain View to follow up with the new meeting date. There were several attendees at the LEAF meeting who have contacts with Nissan representatives in the US and Japan. Gascant and linkim will assemble a list of local LEAF owners who are currently in contact with Nissan. This will facilitate communication with Nissan Japan and the local Nissan office. A committee will be formed to work with Nissan on future interactions.

Charging/Infrastructure
This is a topic that attracts a lot of discussion at the LEAF meetings.

Gascant presented an update on the private charging network that is available for use by SF BayLEAFs members. The total number on the network has increased to 22. So far, no one has requested the use of the private charging facilities.

Phoenix led a discussion on the rollout of public L2 charging docks and L3 quick chargers in the Bay Area and Northern California has been frustrating for LEAF owners who would like to extend their driving experience to Tahoe and north of San Francisco. Even in the Bay area, park-and-ride locations such as at Page Mill Road and Woodside on I-280 should be considered for charging stations. Businesses can apply for grant funds for public charging stations, if they pay for the installation. However, this is occurring very slowly. In San Francisco, public parking garages are starting to convert their existing Avcon units to J1772. The Civic Center garage has already made the conversion. RV parks are good a source for opportunity charging. The website http://www.gocampingamerica.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good reference for locating charging stations at the RV parks. A small committee was formed to investigate the possibility of a first grass-roots-funded L3 charging station in the Bay Area

Organizations such as 350green (http://350green.com/about-us/our_partners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are actively pursuing businesses to identify potential sites for Public charging stations. They are working with Walgreens to install stations in parking lots near their stores.

An idea for extending the driving range for EV drivers was discussed which has been used for car share, as described at http://www.getaround.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. One concept is for LEAF owners to pre-arrange charging at a location (plug share with another member of the private network) near the end of their LEAF driving range, to extend the total driving range. Other websites such as http://www.4evriders.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; provide further data on charging locators and information on EV-relevant topics.

ElectricVehicle described an electrical box and adapter to simultaneously charge 2 LEAFs using the modified EVSEs.

Primer on the LEAF Lithium-Ion Battery
Surfingslovak gave an overview (see presentation at https://acrobat.com/app.html#d=GSYITUXYDvH4EPENbJ4KjA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) of the lithium-ion battery technology used in the LEAF, Much of the specifications of the individual 192 cells and 48 modules in the battery pack are found at the Nissan website, but the presentation brought all the information together to easily understand the battery pack specification and performance. An interesting graph of the voltage-capacity profile for a cell showed the change in voltage as a function of state-of-charge (SOC) was presented. The voltage-capacity profile has a relatively flat discharge profile. The profile showed that when the “turtle” appears on the dashboard, the capacity is on the verge of rapid decrease (“edge of a cliff”). Thus, there is very little available energy in the battery when the rapid drop off occurs. A key point that was discussed is “How will Nissan replace a bad module in a battery pack?” Currently it appears that the whole battery pack will be removed and sent to a central site for repair, rather than replacing the bad module at the Nissan dealer.

SOC Meter
Squirrelmeat presented an update on the SOC meter that is available from garygid. The main component in the SOC meter and firmware features were described. The original meter displays the %SOC (based on 281 points) and the raw data (281 points). The updated firmware version includes a display of the current, voltage and power. Future improvements in the SOC meter include serial output for logging data; a larger display and monitoring of other CAN buses (e.g., audio/visual and EV information). The updates to the firmware are coordinated between garygid and squirrelmeat (Bay Area “flasher”).

Horn Clinic
OrientExpress again organized and led a clinic on the installation of upgraded horns in LEAFs. Two were done on the spot and another 4 pigtails were distributed.

Thanks to all who attended and participated in the discussions. Look for the announcement of Gathering #8 in San Francisco within a week.

Spent some time after the meeting talking to people just walking by going to the library and answering
questions. Most had never seen the car before and here was 38 of them in their library parking lot.
Common conversation: Me: it’s all electric. Them: but it’s got a small gas engine, right?
Hard for people to comprehend a lack of an ICE.

leafygreen said:
...Me: it’s all electric. Them: but it’s got a small gas engine, right?
Hard for people to comprehend a lack of an ICE.

Yes, GM has done much (with Volt advertising) to convince people that 'EVs' come with gas range extenders.

Tell them to look for a tailpipe...

gascant said:
...as well as 240 V dryer cords and pigtails for the horn upgrade...
Just to be clear, that is two different projects.
We aren't talking 240V horns here!!!

gascant said:
A small committee was formed to investigate the possibility of a first grass-roots-funded L3 charging station in the Bay Area...

If a Yahoo group or email list starts up for this, can someone let me know?

TEG said:
gascant said:
A small committee was formed to investigate the possibility of a first grass-roots-funded L3 charging station in the Bay Area...

If a Yahoo group or email list starts up for this, can someone let me know?

Me too (+1). I wasn't able to attend Gathering #7. The BayLEAFs meetings on the Peninsula and EB are really difficult for me to attend and the SB is impossible without L3. I'm motivated to get a L3 somewhere in BA.

Spindoctor said:
Any LEAF owners living in Marin County that wouldn't mind letting me get a quick drive with them? I'm 99 % committed with a late November scheduled delivery date, but I''d really like to get one quick drive in before it arrives.

Thanks!
Hanlees Hilltop Nissan in Richmond has a LEAF available for test drives. I think it even has leather seats if I remember right.
http://www.hanleeshilltopnissan.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Talk to Tell him Eric sent you.

gascant said:

I would be willing to contribute to this effort (with either my time or financial support, although both of these resources are meager).
Even if the charging station is out of my range (likely, being I'm in Gilroy), I think the precedent set by this is valuable enough for me to support such a venture.

earther said:
gascant said:
I would be willing to contribute to this effort (with either my time or financial support, although both of these resources are meager).
Even if the charging station is out of my range (likely, being I'm in Gilroy), I think the precedent set by this is valuable enough for me to support such a venture.

Actually having a QC in Gilroy would be nice. Palo Alto -> Gilroy QC -> Monterrey/Carmel... -> back to Gilroy.
I usually stop off at the factory outlets for half an hour on the way for a bite to eat, and maybe some quick shopping.

TEG said:
Yes, GM has done much (with Volt advertising) to convince people that 'EVs' come with gas range extenders.

Tell them to look for a tailpipe...
Unfortunately, the media commonly cites the Volt as being an example of an EV. :roll:

Nightly Business Report did some segments on electric vehicles for a few days earlier this year. They mentioned the Leaf a few times (but never rode in one) but spoke to and rode along with at least 2 different Volt owners. The way the reporting was done is that it basically stated that the Volt was an EV. They never once referred to it as a plug-in hybrid.

IIRC, the tailpipe on the Volt is pretty hard to see.

Side note: I don't know if the topic of the meeting time came up. (Me not being a Leaf owner, yet) I decided not to come partly because it was so early in the morning. I'm not a morning person at all and wasn't too motivated to drive from south San Jose early enough to be on time. Perhaps it's more convenient for some folks or even preferred by most w/me being the outlier...

Re: the chief engineer's visit, that's awesome! I don't know what sort of q&a will be provided or if there are some logistics as to people being split up into groups to ask questions so that he's not swamped, but we learned some lessons after we got to meet the 3rd gen Prius chief engineer in Detroit at its unveiling.

IIRC, we didn't know he'd be there (the list of Toyota folks present wasn't given to us, possibly for security reasons) but we had a hunch of at least one engineer being present. We were split into thirds to not overwhelm the chief. If we had a central repository of questions that people could submit to (ranked by importance), and then people could check off ones that were answered in their group, that would help... There were ~50 of us Prius fans who attended (and were invited by Toyota) and ummm, I'd guess many of us had plenty of questions that we didn't get to ask. The language barrier was also a problem as only 1 of us fans spoke Japanese (an attendee flown in from Japan) and the chief's native tongue was definitely not English, although he could converse in it.

I can elaborate more about the lessons we learned (and I'd have to check some threads) about other people's thoughts on our brief time we spent w/Otsuka-san, if interested. Not sure if that belongs in another thread.

That said, if the chief engineer's visit will have a good presentation and/or some q&a time, I'll show up even if it's at 7:45 am again. :)

cwerdna said:
Side note: I don't know if the topic of the meeting time came up. (Me not being a Leaf owner, yet) I decided not to come partly because it was so early in the morning. I'm not a morning person at all and wasn't too motivated to drive from south San Jose early enough to be on time. Perhaps it's more convenient for some folks or even preferred by most w/me being the outlier...
I'll second that. It's taken me two days to recover from getting up six hours earlier than usual Saturday morning.

Incidentally, Union City was 43.6 miles from home (Morgan Hill), mostly freeway. I did make it back, but it was a close call -- the last two miles were with flashing bars on the guessometer (i.e., after the Very Low Battery warning). I drove 55 mph both ways, but after getting the first Low Battery warning I dropped off the freeway for the last 8 miles, and took it at 45mph.

Ray

Back