Are you planning to reserve Tesla Model 3 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to reserve a Tesla Model 3

• 31st in the store - Leaf owner

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • 31st in the store - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 31st online - Leaf owner

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 31st online - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Later - Leaf owner

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Later - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Not Decided - Leaf owner

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Not Decided - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Won't Reserve - Leaf owner

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Won't Reserve - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
mwalsh said:
I did not go at all. I could give a ****.
C'mon mwalsh, it's all good.
I was going to order online but I had a pretty empty calendar and the Tesla forum and Twitter was so buzzed with Model 3 enthusiasm that I thought I'd run by the Burbank store an hour after the opening. I assumed the line was going to be smaller.
Well it was about 300 strong still.
I hung out for a few minutes, saw forum member JasonA and chatted a bit. He had just placed his order and estimated a 3 hour wait for me. So, I bailed out and came back in 2 hours and the line was much better, only 80 people or so. Hung out and chatted with folks and placed a Model 3 order for my wife who will be driving a 7+ year old LEAF when her car is ready. It was a relatively "young" line with a lot of Entertainment Industry folks (camera operator, AD, lighting, etc) at the Burbank store. I was impressed there were no EV owners in my small circle of new friends. Lots of BMW, Prius and VW drivers. Fresh customers, a good sign.
Fun hour in the afternoon sunshine.

Arrived at the Tesla store at 9am and was gone by 11 (they opened at 10)... Placed a deposit for myself and two of my friends... The process was very smooth. I was number 42 in line...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Who holds the deposit $ ? Is it comingled with general Tesla assets?

Dunno. Here's what the Tesla Model 3 Reservation Agreement says about it:

4. Acknowledgements; Non-Transferable
You understand that we will not hold your Reservation Payment separately or in an escrow or trust fund or pay
any interest on your Reservation Payment. Your Reservation is not transferable or assignable to another party
without the prior written approval of Tesla.

2013 Nissan Leaf SL owner since 2015 April (bought it used at an amazing price). I completed the reservation process at 10:31 PM EDT. Took 30 seconds to do so, and I just decided to get 2 for the heck for it. Even if I cancel, I'll probably request a refund by check so I can keep the miles just generated with my credit card. :D

LTLFTcomposite said:
Who holds the deposit $ ? Is it comingled with general Tesla assets?

Under their financials reservations are listed under liabilities.

abasile said:
I won't be reserving a Model 3 because:
1. Our family could use a larger vehicle and an older, used Model S should fit the bit nicely.
2. For local use, and especially on snowy/grimy roads and dirt roads, our 2011 LEAF will work well as our "beater" car for years to come.
3. We prefer to avoid buying brand new cars (our 2011 LEAF was an exception). That said, it would be fun to have Autopilot capabilities, and AWD would be helpful. But not for the price of buying new. After all, cars depreciate, and better models always come along.
Well, it's time to eat my words, at least partly. :mrgreen:

Shortly after last night's "reveal", which my wife and I found impressive, I reserved one. (At least I think I did, as we haven't received an email confirmation from Tesla yet.) Even the base model, with Supercharging capability and a panoramic roof, seems like a great value.

I may be too far back in the queue to qualify for the full $7500 federal tax credit, but who knows. The sunsetting of this tax credit could make it worthwhile to buy new, instead of "gently used".

We'd still like a used Model S. But if it doesn't work out for us to buy one (all cash) within the next 1.5 years, then we may consider buying the Model 3 instead. Or, ideally, if we're in a position to do so, we'll buy both vehicles and become totally ICE-free.

In hindsight I should have put a deposit as likely I will be in the market for a new car in 2-3 years. Too late now so guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the show, after all a certified MS for not much $$$ may be a better option for me anyway. I don't mind being an early adopter, but after my Leaf experience I'm not quite ready for a new adventure just yet :)

I have a Leaf and it should be coming off lease right around when the Model 3 is ready. I've been a fan of Tesla from the start and they are the reason I am in a Leaf now; I drove a P85D and was (rightfully) stunned at what an electric car could be, so checked out the Leaf that they were basically giving away on leases. I love the Leaf (I have more fun driving it around town than I did in my BMW M3), but let's be honest, it is an ugly little mother and less than 100mi range is not ideal for many situations that come up with my family.

I reserved two Model 3 and will certainly have at least one, but depending on options costs may get one for myself and one for my wife. Tesla knows how to make desirable cars and considering that my base model Leaf was $30k sticker I feel that starting at $35k for the Tesla is a pretty tremendous value. As a sports car fan, amateur racer adn tech person the Tesla hits all my buttons.

I voted that I would not be putting down a deposit, but after seeing it last night and thinking about it when I should have been sleeping, I found myself placing a deposit this morning. Surely the fed rebate will be significantly reduced by then, but it keeps my options open.

Why did I change my mind? The car is gorgeous with good performance, access to supercharging and the same price as a current Leaf. I can't see the Leaf 2.0 blowing my mind as much as the Tesla does, but if has something to offer at a lower price than Tesla, I will still consider it.

Saw this on PCmag website -

It appears many of those who pre-ordered the Model 3 yesterday went for upgraded options. Musk said that the average selling price for orders within the first 24 hours was $42,000, so the company made about $7.5 billion in a day.

So who is seeing/ordering these Model 3 options ? Are these the Tesla employees and current owners ?

http://www.pcmag.com/news/343400/tesla-to-rethink-model-3-production-due-to-huge-demand

pksd1 said:

It appears many of those who pre-ordered the Model 3 yesterday went for upgraded options. Musk said that the average selling price for orders within the first 24 hours was $42,000, so the company made about $7.5 billion in a day.

So who is seeing/ordering these Model 3 options ? Are these the Tesla employees and current owners ?

http://www.pcmag.com/news/343400/tesla-to-rethink-model-3-production-due-to-huge-demand

Or, it appears the writer of the article is writing about something she doesn't understand and confusing deposits with pre-orders. A journalist doing such a thing? Shocking.

pksd1 said:

PCMag is confused. There are no options to see or choose when reserving. Musk's tweet about $42k was based on the expected options upgrade Tesla anticipates from Model 3 buyers. You choose your car options when you are asked by Tesla to configure. When you do that, your $1000 is no longer refundable and they proceed to put your car in the production queue. At least that how it works with the Model S and X. Perhaps the 3 will be different.
Some interpreted the $7.5B comment from Musk as immature braggadocio. I can see that to an extent. But I think it's two things:
1) The 200k+ reservations in the first 24 hours was a vindication for Tesla's oft ridiculed "Secret Plan" which essentially terminates when they deliver the Model 3 to the "masses". Many said "no one wants a BEV, so there will be no market". "Put your backing behind Hydrogen, etc". So, it seemed like a "told you so" to everyone in the ICE-based auto industry and I feel he gets a pass considering what he's committed personally to this mission.
2) Others on the TMC forum believe the tweet is directed at Wall Street where Tesla will be returning for another capital raise. He's showing he's got huge consumer demand and can probably get very good terms. That may be exactly the calculation and Musk is a skilled user of social media. We'll see what plays out in the next week. That's when I would expect to hear some murmurs from the bankers.

Darrenf said:
pksd1 said:

Or, it appears the writer of the article is writing about something she doesn't understand and confusing deposits with pre-orders. A journalist doing such a thing? Shocking.

That's what I thought. Stupid journalist !!!

sparky said:
1) The 200k+ reservations in the first 24 hours was a vindication for Tesla's oft ridiculed "Secret Plan" which essentially terminates when they deliver the Model 3 to the "masses". Many said "no one wants a BEV, so there will be no market". "Put your backing behind Hydrogen, etc". So, it seemed like a "told you so" to everyone in the ICE-based auto industry and I feel he gets a pass considering what he's committed personally to this mission.

The 200K reservations hardly indicates that the BEV market has now reached the so-called "masses" with
an ASP for the Model 3 at $42K. It basically indicates that the early adopter market has been potentially
expanded. There're still major issues, as discussed many times on this forum, with a BEV limiting its acceptance
by the typical consumer. Furthermore, those reservations will have no effect on the continued development
of the FCEV.

Elon found the "sweet spot" for the reservation amount to generate a somewhat believable demand, provided
a needed cash infusion, and "set the stage" for another stock sale. A real reservation amount would have been
at least $5K indicating a realistic demand.

Can you imagine Apple announcing an iPhone 12 for introduction in 2017 for $300 and taking deposits like
Tesla (~ 2.5% of the projected sales price ) in the amount of $7.50?

lorenfb said:
A real reservation amount would have been at least $5K indicating a realistic demand.
$1000 is still pretty significant. Consider that in 2010 those of us who reserved the LEAF paid only $99, for a car that cost nearly as much as a Model 3, with a wait ranging from months to years. And a good fraction of those $99 reservations actually did translate to purchases.

lorenfb said:
The 200K reservations hardly indicates that the BEV market has now reached the so-called "masses" with
an ASP for the Model 3 at $42K. It basically indicates that the early adopter market has been potentially
expanded.
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with that statement. We're at over 250k pre-orders at this point. Note that 2015's best selling car was the Toyota Camry, at 360k units. The best selling American car was the Ford Fusion, at 255k units. We're in the same ballpark. At some point, "expanded early adopters" simply get to be big enough numbers that it's indistinguishable from "mainstream".

garsh said:
lorenfb said:
expanded.
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with that statement. We're at over 250k pre-orders at this point. Note that 2015's best selling car was the Toyota Camry, at 360k units. The best selling American car was the Ford Fusion, at 255k units. We're in the same ballpark. At some point, "expanded early adopters" simply get to be big enough numbers that it's indistinguishable from "mainstream".
Your numbers for Camry and Fusion aren't correct. See http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2016/01/usa-vehicle-sales-by-model-2015-calendar-year-december.html. For 2015, Camry was at ~429.3K units in the US alone (also confirmed at http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/tms+december+2015+sales+chart.htm).

Best selling vehicle in the US for that year was the Ford F-Series truck at 780K units.

The over 250K reservations is worldwide. Off the top of my head, I don't know all the countries Model 3 reservations can be made in. It's definitely more than the US, but IIRC, not dozens of countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back