Are you planning to reserve Tesla Model 3 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to reserve a Tesla Model 3

• 31st in the store - Leaf owner

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • 31st in the store - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 31st online - Leaf owner

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 31st online - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Later - Leaf owner

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Later - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Not Decided - Leaf owner

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Not Decided - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Won't Reserve - Leaf owner

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Won't Reserve - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
mihird said:
Will Tesla allow an early Model 3 booking for a lease...does anyone know?
At the time of booking you are just saying you want to "get" a car. How you will finance/lease it or what configuration you want will come later.

For X (which I can configure now, if I wanted), Tesla says I should give them a month's time if I want to lease or finance through them.

I am reserving at store on 31st.

My Leaf 2015 lease is ending in August 2017. By extending that by a year, I think I can get model 3 by August 2018. Timings probably will work out for me.

I own a 2015 LEAF and am a very soon to be Model X owner (confirmed in 12/2015 so will be considered an owner for Model 3 priority). I originally wasn't going to put a deposit on a Model 3 because I expect my LEAF to last until 2020-2022. However I realized that is with my current home location and current work location. Many things could change and in 2ish years I could end up with a commute that a 2-3 year old LEAF is not capable of handling. Plus I have family interested in Model 3 so my new plan is to put 2 reservations down in store on 3/31. I think the chance of me cancelling mine are fairly high and then buying a Model 3 once my 2015 can no longer make my work commute in the winter. I think my family member is fairly likely to move forward with an order though.

It should have an option for former Leaf owner but, yes, I plan to put down a deposit at the store on the 31st... The timing should work out just about right for me, considering when they will likely actually deliver...

Nope..
I plan on waiting for the 2nd year of the 2nd gen cars (if I can wait that long). Just so they can shake out anything that needs it...
Then I can compare all the options from automakers at the time..

desiv

Update:

rules, regarding reservations might be changing - but i would wait for official info

Cesar Deschamps told Teslarati late on Tuesday, “I was told they will open here in Miami [Dania] Beach Store at 10 am to take reservations. They thought they would be opening at 1pm [ET] to coincide with California, but they confirmed that they heard this morning from Corporate that they will be processing reservations immediately upon opening.”

Not only that, but the priority Tesla thought it was going to give existing owners seems to have gone out the window. “I spoke to two people at the store together, at the same time. They said the info came from their briefing. One said that Elon got a lot of emails complaining about the owners getting preference. This was their way of placating owners whilst pushing loaded cars.”

What’s all the kerfuffle about? Basically, it comes down to this: The Model 3 is expected to blow away the competition in its price class. An electric car with 200 miles of range that costs just $35,000 and is a Tesla? Who wouldn’t want one of those? Production won’t even begin for 18 months — if it starts on time — and no one even knows what the car will look like yet. But that hasn’t prevented interest in being one of the first to own a Model 3 from rising to a fever pitch.

Then there is the money. Many observers think Tesla will be bumping up against the 200,000 car limit in total sales by the time the Model 3 hits the streets. That’s the point at which a manufacturer’s electric cars begin to lose their federal tax credit. If you want a Model 3 and the full $7,500 tax credit, you may need to get one of the first cars built. Since $7,500 is a fair chunk of change, that’s a powerful motivation for people interested in buying a Model 3 to shove their way to the front of the line if they possibly can.

http://cleantechnica.com/2016/03/23/tesla-model-3-reservation-rules-seem-to-be-shifting/

speculation is here:

https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/7500-tax-credit-might-be-expired-model-3-delivery

from the forum : "And it doesn't simply disappear. Like "old soldiers" it will fade away following the IRS formula: beginning in the second quarter after the quarter in which 200,000 US sales have been achieved. For the following two quarters the credit will be $3750 and for the subsequent two quarters it will be $1875. If Tesla delivered 50,000 cars total in the US through 2015 and continues to grow at 50%/year (a tall order), cumulative deliveries in the US will be 88,000 by the end of 2016, 145,000 by the end of 2017 and 230,000 by the end of 2018. At this rate the phase out would begin at the end of 1Q2019, if 200K is reached in 3Q2018. It would be completely phased out at the end of 2019."

SOME of the fed cred WILL be available for the Model 3. And SOME early shipments MAY get the full amount.

And it all could collapse or it could be extended! No one really knows.

I believe this will be the beginning (really a continuation, if you are already a Tesla owner!) of the REAL EV revolution.

And it is exiting to see in person come March 31st!

LeftieBiker said:
You need an option for "Leaf owner - will reserve if I become unexpectedly wealthy."

I'm pretty confused, there's such a tiny difference in price between a Leaf with QC and a Model 3. It seems pretty hard to find a Leaf without QC on a lot.

The biggest difference of course being still having to use a secondary vehicle, car rentals, or an inefficient non-EV secondary vehicle for car #2 :)

Leaf owner, reserving as soon as the stores open. I'll love to have an EV for all my uses, not just something that's awesome for running around town. Leaf will never provide that in the near term because they don't support a viable charging network. Leaf 2.0 will still be a local-only vehicle, the "local" area will just be a good bit larger.

I'm probably strange in that I'm a single car owner and only own a Leaf (making me "stuck" for trips outside my home city), but the extra cost of the Model 3 will be fully worth it for me.

My lease expires in 14 months. I plan to put a deposit down on the 31st, but I'm in Massachusetts and I don't think I'll see a car here before 2018. My choice will be either to extend my lease until then, but I'm not even sure how long "then" will be. Lately I've been thinking about the Bolt too much. There are a dozen very happy Volt drivers here at work, which gives me a better feeling about the car. My primary reason for valuing the Model 3 more is the SuperCharger network -- that's a game changer, but I'm not sure how much it will cost (a $2K option like the on the Model S initially? a charge per use?).

I am expecting the Model 3 to push $50K by the time super charging, autopilot (and possibly 250+ mile range upgrade) is put in place...

mihird said:
I am expecting the Model 3 to push $50K by the time super charging, autopilot (and possibly 250+ mile range upgrade) is put in place...
IMO, to get to $50K, we will need to add some extra options

$35K base price
+1k for "winter package"
+2K for supercharger access
+3K for autopilot
+4K for AWD
+ 5K (my guess) for larger battery

Rebel44 said:
mihird said:

$35K base price
+1k for "winter package"
+3K for autopilot
+4K for AWD

Your battery figure may be a little on the low side. To go from 70D to 90D on a Model S costs $13k right now. I can't imagine they would only charge $5k for an upgrade of 20 kWh or so.

jonnyg said:
Rebel44 said:
mihird said:

$35K base price
+1k for "winter package"
+3K for autopilot
+4K for AWD

Your battery figure may be a little on the low side. To go from 70D to 90D on a Model S costs $13k right now. I can't imagine they would only charge $5k for an upgrade of 20 kWh or so.
I expect upgraded capacity to be in 10-15KWh region.

Also Teslas battery option pricing is from time when their price per KWh was much higher than now and there will be further decrease in their price over next 18+ months (before release of Model 3).

IMO, pricing of battery packs will also depend on available supply - if they have good supply, Tesla might be motivated to provide capacity upgrade at a reasonable price (while making extra profit) - for example: if 15KWh extra batteries cost Tesla (at the tme of Model 3 production start) $3K, selling it as $+-5K option makes sense, if battery production is good enough to supply such demand.

But for now that is just my opinion.

This weekend I finally saw a Model X in the wild. Deliveries are taking too long, IMHO.

If they don't improve their launch speeds, Model 3 could be too little, too late. The rest of the industry is making progress.

In the meantime, I will work a trip into my local Tesla shop to take a look at the Model 3 and consider it. The others don't have one with the range I need quite yet either.

Will be reserving at the store on the 31st without any hesitation at all. My local store is only about 10 minutes from work, so not that big a deal to attend. Was originally going to just order online on the 1st, but figure I'll try to move up in a line a bit, and experience the "event" in person (I don't expect THOUSANDS like some are, although I am sure maybe 100 or so may show up locally).

I'm not normally an early adopter myself, but when it comes to EVs I think we are about 30 years too late transitioning to electric, so yeah, I'm VERY eager to get the next EV technology, not because I want the latest technology, but because I want to get off the old technology ASAP!

My main desire for the Model 3 is range. Currently have a Volt for long trips, but just having taken my first trip in it, I must say it's not really a comfortable drive, and besides it's basically a gas vehicle when on the road. A 200 mile car (i.e. Bolt) and a minimally configured Model 3 won't cut it in my opinion, so if bigger battery options are not available for the Model 3, I won't go through with the purchase. 250 would work, but really hoping for something in the high 200's, low 300's, and will be willing to pay for it. Beyond that, I don't really care about any other "luxury" type items (although autopilot would be nice). Basically we need to make a 750 mile trip once a year, and would like to do it in no more than 3 stops. Could TECHNICALLY do it in a 200 mile car (assuming 80% or 160 mile recharges on the road), but that assumes brand new battery, ideal conditions, and most critically, perfectly spaced charging stations, which don't exist!)

Mid to late 2018 timing would work out well. That would be long enough to get a sense that I got enough use out of my LEAF (at that point 7 years--was really hoping for 8-10, but by then I expect my range to be very poor). Also our Volt lease will be up early 2019, so could also work out as a replacement for that.

As an early adopter of the LEAF (2012 SL), I've had no regrets whatsoever. Yes, I had to wait over 2 years for the first quick charger to show up in my area; I've lost 3 bars and probably will not lose the 4th (lost the 3rd at about 54K miles--I think it will take more than 6K miles, even in the upcoming hot summer, to lose the 4th); I have experienced firsthand the relative "slowness" of 3.3kW vs 6.6kW (my wife had a 2013 LEAF before we got the Volt); I've pretty much lost all regen when it's 40 degrees out. But when I ordered the LEAF in early 2011, I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into. I did not expect to be able to upgrade the battery and take that car on long trips; the heater and 3.3kW charger were what it was at the time, and before the 6.6kW and hybrid heater came along, it was all we knew. I'm not going to hold it against Nissan or anyone because they came out with better technology later on, nor am I going to always wait for the next leap in technology, because at the rate the industry is changing, you could wait 20-30 years before the pace of innovation and improvements stabilizes. Sure, it sucks that there is a 30kWh battery that apparently fits in the same form factor as my 24kWh battery, I never expected Nissan to offer that upgrade. At the time I expected a third party upgrade would eventually be available, although at this point, I suspect the total market for such an upgrade is probably not of adequate size for a third party to invest in creating one...oh well. The car does the job I bought it for and still does it, so I've got nothing to complain about.

And as for adopting the first model year of a given vehicle, I'll say two things:

First: I think there is a difference between the first model year of a given vehicle, and the first MODEL of a given technology. Both Tesla and Nissan (and GM, and BMW, etc.) have no doubt learned TONS about EVs (and in the case of Tesla, auto manufacturing in general) from the Model S, LEAF 1.0, Volt, i3). While I certainly would expect there to be issues, I believe that the very early growing pains of Model S and LEAF 1.0 are probably due to the fact that it was their first foray into EVs or making cars in general.

Second: We actually had far more problems with my wife's 2013 LEAF than my 2012. So much in fact that we eventually got rid of it (unfortunately I suspect that this may be due to the fact that it was US made).

You are passing because you take one trip a year? Why not rent a car? With the supercharger network 200 miles in most markets works and likely will in far more places by the time people actually get cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back