Are you planning to reserve Tesla Model 3 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to reserve a Tesla Model 3

• 31st in the store - Leaf owner

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • 31st in the store - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 31st online - Leaf owner

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 31st online - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Later - Leaf owner

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Later - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Not Decided - Leaf owner

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Not Decided - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Won't Reserve - Leaf owner

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Won't Reserve - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
EVDRIVER said:
You are passing because you take one trip a year? Why not rent a car?
That's what we have been doing for the past 2 years. Actually the first year we used a complimentary loaner that Nissan provided (which unfortunately they do not offer that program any more); the second year we used a loaner provided because her LEAF was in the shop trying to diagnose the problem we had with the car and waiting on a replacement part--they gave us a brand new (40 miles on the clock) car and we brought it back with 2039!

Now I never said we only take one trip a year. That's just the longest one. Ideally we would like to take several 150 mile trips (ideally without ANY stops, but we would have considered a 30kWh LEAF had it been available when we needed it) and a few 250-350 mile trips.

Ultimately though, the issue I have with renting is that ultimately it ends up using gas, and I really don't like buying gas.

EVDRIVER said:
With the supercharger network 200 miles in most markets works and likely will in far more places by the time people actually get cars.

I'm fairly confident the SC network will be adequate by 2018, although today there are NO SC's along I-81 in PA, requiring a leg from Hagerstown, MD to Binghamton, NY (261 miles). The coming Harrisburg SC will alleviate that concern, but as I said, to make the full 750 mile trip in a 200 mile class car would require 4 stops (my math was wrong before--you just can't do it in 3), but with a 250 mile car, you can make the trip in 3 stops at miles 241, 185 (this would be Harrisburg, PA, assuming that SC exists), 183 and then ~150 miles to the destination. The return trip is actually worse because that final 241 mile leg is not along the interstate, where I would expect SCs to appear. In fact, that whole section of route (from Staunton, VA into NC mostly along US-29 is a giant black hole of fast charging in general. I'm not really sure at this point how to make the return trip in less than 4 stops and relying on CHAdeMO (which would be slower) for 3 of the stops.

Currently driving my second Leaf (leased) and not loving it anymore.

I will reserve mine at the store on 31st if the lines are less than 3-4 hours long. Otherwise I'll reserve one online in the evening. If the "full" federal tax credit is gone by the time my Model 3 arrives, I will most likely buy 2018 Audi A4 instead. You can get nicely equipped Audi A4 (Premium Plus + technology package) for about $37k. A $35k Model 3 might not even come with heated seats.

allegedly leaked info:

http://electrek.co/2016/03/30/tesla-model-3-specs/

...source who has provided reliable information in the past has given us some real news on the Model 3.

The biggest news: According to a source who has seen the design that will be shown off tomorrow, it looks like a smaller hybrid of the Model X and S. It is a bit taller sedan with a unique front that looks more like a Model X than a Model S. The car is shorter and narrower than either the model X or S but is described as “sexy and sporty”. The person who saw it said that they didn’t like the look of the X initially and only came around to liking it when the Falcon Wing doors were exhibited. This person instantly fell in love with the design of the Model 3, however, saying “It seems so right”.

One of the standout specs Tesla will tout is that it will be able to travel from 0-60 in under 4 seconds. We weren’t told if this is for the base model or a more premium edition with bigger battery and AWD.

Speaking of higher end, the price tag on the high end version of the Model 3 grows significantly to almost base Model S territory with estimates in the $50-$60K range. What do you get for that money? Besides autonomous driving on the level of the Model S and X, Tesla will also offer the aforementioned AWD option. In addition, a battery pack that were estimating in the ~80kWh range will take the Model 3 to over 300 miles in range.

We are retired and like to take longer trips. Charging about doubles the time these trips take. Finding open DCQC's in areas like Seattle or Eastern Oregon is problematic. I would rather have access to Tesla's system of multiple chargers at each station plus the availability to use standard systems like AV. Right now we don't know when the CCS/Chademo standards will be worked out. Buying another Leaf or Bolt is therefore a crap shoot even if they have higher range. I expect this situation is also affecting the charger providers as they seem to be taking more time to get around to maintenance; perhaps due to these uncertainties.

I won't be reserving a Model 3 because:
1. Our family could use a larger vehicle and an older, used Model S should fit the bit nicely.
2. For local use, and especially on snowy/grimy roads and dirt roads, our 2011 LEAF will work well as our "beater" car for years to come.
3. We prefer to avoid buying brand new cars (our 2011 LEAF was an exception). That said, it would be fun to have Autopilot capabilities, and AWD would be helpful. But not for the price of buying new. After all, cars depreciate, and better models always come along.

Reserved a Model 3 at their Highland Park, IL 'store' well after the early morning hoopla at lunch; took all of 5 minutes and it gives you a (minor) advantage to waiting for the online resv to open; the guy who took my reservation says he thinks they had about 200 or so today, perhaps more ... Tesla's own forum mentions about 120 lining up at that location before they opened. The person I talked to had mentioned that current owners could avoid the lines but about 25% or so who showed up were current Tesla owners anyway. The deposit is totally refundable so really not a high risk ... plan to test drive an S when I have some more time but as I was pretty much the only one there, he walked me through an P90D red S sedan they had in the showroom; its been awhile since I've sat in one, this one had the alcantara (suede) accents which actually looked good but not sure on the long term wear aspect. Came across this YouTube on the queue in Japan ... interesting that those in the store weren't just Japanese but Tokyo is like NYC with many cultures ... should get a 'queue' number in less than 24 hours according to them but then again the Midwest will follow West coast deliveries anyway so best guest is some time in 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqb9tONDzI0

Showed up at Fashion Valley Mall in San Diego around 5:00am, there were about 20 people ahead of me. I heard UTC mall had a lot more than that the last night. Once the doors opened, it really did not take very long. I was done by 10:15 am.

Tesla store @ 5am

I did not get an email receipt for the order I placed. They have charged my credit cards so I know reservation was processed, just no confirmation email.

Got in line at Brea Mall Store at around 8 AM (PST) . About 150 people ahead of me already. Reserved 2 at around 11:50 AM. Line was still 200 strong behind me.

The reservations were done old style. 3 counters taking orders on their custom tablet or something.

Got in line at about 9:00 in Minneapolis (about 250 with another 50 behind me). Out by about noon with the line still 150 strong. Heard it was down to about 50-75 at about 3:00.
People just kept showing up :D

tesla-model-3-line-Minneapolis-via-Jukka-Kukkonen-pluginconnect.jpg

Hit the line in Portland at 10 with about 400 in front of me. Took two hours, but for that many people it was pretty quick. The employees in the store we just using the website, likely the exact same process that people will go through at home tonight.

I went to the Rocklin, CA store and got there at 9:30 expecting to see about 100 or so people. Turns out I was somewhere around #500 in line at this one store. It took 3 hours get through the line and give them my $1000. The end of the line never moved for the first hour as people showed up as fast as they took deposits. I think there were probably over 700 deposits at this store today. Fun chatting in line with the other folks. Two Guys from Hewlett Packard one from Intel and a retired rocket scientist and a school teacher. Quite a variety of interesting stories.

img_6734.jpg

pksd1 said:
I did not get an email receipt for the order I placed.

I placed my order at 11AM EDT, and still haven't gotten an email. I wouldn't worry about it yet. There server has to be jammed up. Exciting times! :D

keydiver said:
pksd1 said:
I did not get an email receipt for the order I placed.

I placed my order at 11AM EDT, and still haven't gotten an email. I wouldn't worry about it yet. There server has to be jammed up. Exciting times! :D

Yes I noticed on teslamotors forum, only small percentage of people are getting an email.

I showed up at the Pittsburgh store (just a Kiosk at the mall) at 8am. There were only 8 people in front of me. Got my reservation done at 10:09am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back