Are you planning to reserve Tesla Model 3 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you plan to reserve a Tesla Model 3

• 31st in the store - Leaf owner

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • 31st in the store - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • 31st online - Leaf owner

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • 31st online - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Later - Leaf owner

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Later - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Not Decided - Leaf owner

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • Not Decided - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Won't Reserve - Leaf owner

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • Won't Reserve - non-Leaf plugin owner

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say I would commit as we really don't know anything about the Model 3 yet. Yes, I'm interested in learning more and might be a buyer. I like the S, but not the X, so Tesla has potential but isn't a guaranteed win. I'm a bit worried that going lower price they will cut too many corners. If people think they will get an S, but smaller for half the price, I think there will be a lot of disappointment. But if Tesla delivers same level in a smaller package for that price point, it would be a huge hit.

I will have to wait until the 31st to learn more. But I doubt I will sign up that day. There is only so much you can tell quality wise from looking at carefully selected marketing photos and carefully shot videos. Until I can physically examine one and read detail drive reviews, I'm not game.

DarthPuppy said:
Hard to say I would commit as we really don't know anything about the Model 3 yet. Yes, I'm interested in learning more and might be a buyer. I like the S, but not the X, so Tesla has potential but isn't a guaranteed win. I'm a bit worried that going lower price they will cut too many corners. If people think they will get an S, but smaller for half the price, I think there will be a lot of disappointment. But if Tesla delivers same level in a smaller package for that price point, it would be a huge hit.

I will have to wait until the 31st to learn more. But I doubt I will sign up that day. There is only so much you can tell quality wise from looking at carefully selected marketing photos and carefully shot videos. Until I can physically examine one and read detail drive reviews, I'm not game.

Prototype will be there on 31st.

cwerdna said:
I answered "Won't Reserve - Leaf owner" as I'm 100% certain I'm NOT going to do it March 31st. Heck, if the car is worth considering, I probably wouldn't want to place an order or whatever until the car's been on the road at least 6 months to a year, given what I've seen of the continuing reliability and teething issues w/the Model S and X.

Should I answer "Later - Leaf owner" or "Not Decided - Leaf owner" instead? Does ordering later (possibly in 2018 or 2019) count for these 2 buckets?

First of all, IMO, even if you reserve on 31st you won't probably get the car for about a year after the launch. Second, you can always delay confirming which will delay the car for you.

But if you don't plan on reserving anytime soon - makes sense to choose "Won't Reserve - Leaf owner".

evnow said:
First of all, IMO, even if you reserve on 31st you won't probably get the car for about a year after the launch. Second, you can always delay confirming which will delay the car for you.

But if you don't plan on reserving anytime soon - makes sense to choose "Won't Reserve - Leaf owner".
Is your belief based upon the set of folks (e.g. employees, existing Model X/S owners, etc.) who get to be ahead of the general public on the 31st + Tesla's track record of delays/slow ramp up? And, thus they'll be such a production backlog/so many in the queue that those in general public won't have a Model 3 until near the end of 2018? I haven't followed closely about who's in front/who gets to "cut" in line.

AFAIK, we still don't know anything about battery capacities, trim levels, options, etc. other than the most expensive cars will be produced first.

If I were to order or whatever, I probably wouldn't get the most expensive nor well-equipped vehicle.

cwerdna said:
evnow said:

If I were to order or whatever, I probably wouldn't get the most expensive nor well-equipped vehicle.

Then like many you can get the car in 2019 :eek: Chevy should do well with the Bolt in this regard :roll:

cwerdna said:
Is your belief based upon the set of folks (e.g. employees, existing Model X/S owners, etc.) who get to be ahead of the general public on the 31st + Tesla's track record of delays/slow ramp up? And, thus they'll be such a production backlog/so many in the queue that those in general public won't have a Model 3 until near the end of 2018? I haven't followed closely about who's in front/who gets to "cut" in line.
We don't know for how many days/months /years previous owners get priority. If they get priority irrespective of when they book, they can easily eat up 1 year of production as Tesla struggles to increase production.

The known priorities are in the first post.

Answered this back on page 46 of this thread; going on the 31st and am a LEAF owner; I've been traveling last few days so just saw this poll

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18016&start=450

Although I'm not a early adopter ALL the time (waited on the Miata for a few years before buying one as the first year dealer's were gouging big time and it really turned me off to them, car was just too good to ignore; I did get a first-year '98 New Beetle TDI and first year '08 smart fortwo coupe (for the wife) and my '12 LEAF was probably among the first dozen or so in Chicago) this time is a bit different ... yes, I agree it will be at the very least a year and probably much more before I see one; my LEAF was about 18 months from reserving online and I seem to recall about the same time for the smart; on the New Beetle, I actually got lucky because a diesel was ordered, customer cancelled and then no one wanted to take a chance on it --- owned it for 8 years; fantastic heated (cloth) seats, close to mid 40's MPG; unique style (at the time) but back seats were just too small for my 'kids' anymore after the 8 years so upsized a bit ... anyway, back to this poll ...

... I'm very interested as others may be on how Tesla will pull this off; I've seen recent articles about them adding more machinery in the former GM/Toyota NUMMI plant to handle much more volume and have always been impressed by the S sedan's (also, actually saw my second Tesla X in the wild just yesterday in Northern FL close to JAX) so although it may be a waste of time, yes, I'd like to see first hand how they keep us informed, etc. as they indeed are not typical for a car company. And also, to be honest; and S or X or even the roadster was still a bit too much to spend on a single car (we have 3 though, perhaps combining 2 would be feasible); of course, to get it the way I'd like it could easily add a few thousand or more but we'll see how this breaks out.

Going to reserve online ASAP. If something goes wrong I will change my mind. I would also consider BMW's but they are not planning
pure EV (not i3 and not SUV) in this decade. I'm not considering any Nissan vehicles (even though 5% degradation after 2 years).

I'm not interesting in getting Model 3 before summer 2018 but it will be too late to get it in 2020 (I will buy something else then).
I'm not interested in getting the first 10 000 batch.
I'm sure Europe has to wait longer than US.

I'm not opting for air suspension and no leather seats (synthetic stuff is much better, something like Leaf SV/Acenta).
I want LVL3 autonomy and winter package. I don't want big wheels (even if they are free) and no dual charger (3phase x 3kW max).
I want the best seats. I'm not sure about AWD and bigger battery option (300km is as much as I need).
I'm not interested in buying lifetime access to Supercharging network. I'm looking for pay-on-demand or 5x per month limit (or similar).

One thing that scares me is that the cheapest version might be FWD. That would be lame with 100-150 kW :?

EDIT: 16 000 Model 3's already reserved for "the chosen ones" :D :eek: :lol: :cry:

Current Leaf should keep me going for another 5-6 years easily. At that point I'll keep an eye out for a used Model 3 or similar. The wife's 2004 Focus is the wild card, it might be toast in a year, maybe 5 at most. She needs more than the Leaf range often enough that a used Prius or similar is a likelihood for her.

I'll just stick with my Leaf until I can't take it anymore. All I need from my second car is ~20 miles of range (conveniently enough, my CMax provides that). But it kills me that I have to burn gas whenever I leave town. I'll probably be looking to compare used Bolts/Model IIIs and even Leaf 2.0s. As poor as Nissan's battery has held up in hot climates, I don't live in one (I wouldn't hold up much better than their batteries if I did ;) ). In our cooler climate, my Leaf's battery has held up just fine so far.

I voted "Not decided - LEAF owner." I opted for the all-electric (radical in 2011) LEAF and registered with my deposit at the earliest chance expecting a 2011 LEAF. Ten months later I finally received my 2012 LEAF in Central Ohio. Using that as an example, I doubt that any Tesla Model 3 order placed March 31, 2016 would actually be filled until early 2017. For me, the novelty of all-electric has worn off and I now use the vehicle as I would any vehicle, except for, obviously, distance driving. Still love the 2012, and it is simply perfect for me for all use cases up to a certain range.

There is no longer any novelty in all-electric so this time my needs are range, range, and range. To replace an ICE vehicle for me would mean an absolute ability to hit 130 or so miles, highway speeds, with climate control with no anxiety. This represents round-trips to two large airports roughly equidistant from my home. Longer travel is a bonus, and I'm ok with L3 stops to accomplish this but the vehicle range has to get me to those L3's. Not many are handy from Charlotte, NC to either Detroit, MI or Orlando, FL, my two long distance trip needs, but this is getting better all the time.

Back to the Model 3. In 2017 when the 3 would likely be delivered, there will be several options (Bolt, maybe LEAF, Tesla 3, etc.) to meet my desires. Given the actual delivered range, I think Tesla and LEAF have the advantage for me. To date, there is nothing I dislike about Tesla and unless the 3 is going to be a really cheapened econobox, which I doubt, Tesla offers a lot of things others don't (over-the-air software/functionality updates is a biggie for example, avoidance of the antiquated dealer "experience", far easier-to-use telematics than almost any other vehicle, and so on). A 200-mile LEAF also has plusses in that it would be evolutionary and not a whole new vehicle. My only hesitation is the telematics. If Tesla has, for me, the best in the biz, I feel my LEAF has some of the worst (5-year old map data, cumbersome and unworthy expensive SD card update, horrible voice control, crappy navigation user interface, the continuous issues with CARWINGS since inception, and the total loss of CARWINGS replacement for security breaches, etc., etc.). Fortunately, most of the LEAF telematics functions can be replaced with apps on my iPhone or iPad, except for preheating/precooling the vehicle, which I miss.

Maybe a wrinkle in this whole discussion for me is whether I want a MY2017 Tesla 3, LEAF, or used Tesla S. I've seen eBay prices on 2-year old Model S's that are about 1/2 the new price. Perhaps in a year or so there will be a used P85D avail for, say $50K or so that will blow these other options out of the water, at least for me.

Hence, "Not decided - LEAF owner."

As I did several years ago when the LEAF first started the reservation process, I will be at the store on March 31 to vote with my pocketbook. The initial LEAFs were not perfect, but much has been learned along the way. I view this as doing my part to move the technology forward.

Ideally, there will be significant demand on the 31st/1st and it could wake up other auto manufactures much like the Roadster did to GM. The migration to BEV's is inevitable, it is all about how quickly we get there.

dbassett said:
Ideally, there will be significant demand on the 31st/1st and it could wake up other auto manufactures much like the Roadster did to GM. The migration to BEV's is inevitable, it is all about how quickly we get there.

This is the best reason I've seen so far to just put down some money even if you are undecided. After all, it's fully refundable. I will have to think about this, and just may change my answer from "no" to "maybe" or even "yes".

SalisburySam said:
I doubt that any Tesla Model 3 order placed March 31, 2016 would actually be filled until early 2017.
I think you meant "early 2018" - or maybe even 2019. The first deliveries aren't projected until late 2017, and Tesla is famously very optimistic on their projections.

billg said:
SalisburySam said:
I doubt that any Tesla Model 3 order placed March 31, 2016 would actually be filled until early 2017.
I think you meant "early 2018" - or maybe even 2019. The first deliveries aren't projected until late 2017, and Tesla is famously very optimistic on their projections.

No doubt. One thing is certain. If you think you will want one and are not an employee or an existing Tesla owner, placing a deposit in store on the 31st will get you the car sooner than if you wait to do it online or at a later date.

I plan on an online deposit on the 31st. I'm on the east coast and maybe wont order the top of the line car so I figure 3 plus years maybe til I get a 3. Lots of choices between now and that time , my BMW i3 lease ends in December ( I had a Leaf prev for 3 years ) .

Bolt, Outlander PHEV, Huyndai ioniq, BMW 330e?, Volt, used model S , 2017 I3 with the 33kwh pack ?

Firetruck41 said:
"Never - Leaf owner" Out of 20 vehicles I have bought/owned, I have only bought one new (first year Honda Element), don't intend to do that again. I let "you guys" pay for the depreciation, then I pick it up for a song, a couple years down the road... ;)
dxybmd.gif
That seems like a viable strategy to me: wait a couple of years, see how things shake out, buy one used.

I have purchased only 1 new car in my lifetime (apart from leasing 2 new Leafs back to back, of course)..but when it comes to purchasing, it will probably be my first and last....

Fortunately, the car I purchase new, 15 years ago was well thought out...and it is still in service with me after 200K+ miles...
I got my money's worth out of it...when I crossed the 200K mile mark...

Subsequently, I purchased a pre-owned car for my wife at half the cost, and it has worked out extremely well so far.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back