Northern LA County EV Gathering every month - Northridge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was fun to see everybody and the cupcakes were a bonus. Plus I bought something at Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80099163/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, it was a very nice and well-attended meeting, with about 10 people in attendance. And we bought a few things at Ikea too (a corner DVD/CD cabinet and a couple of LED lights)!

It was decided at tonight's meeting that the next meeting (number 7) will be at 9am on Saturday February 18 and will be in the same general area (because of the plethora of chargers) and for breakfast. Perhaps at The Corner Bakery or Panera Bread?...

SharonaLA said:
Was fun to see everybody and the cupcakes were a bonus. Plus I bought something at Ikea.

TomT said:
Yes, it was a very nice and well-attended meeting, with about 10 people in attendance. And we bought a few things at Ikea too (a corner DVD/CD cabinet and a couple of LED lights)!

It was decided at tonight's meeting that the next meeting (number 7) will be at 9am on Saturday February 18 and will be in the same general area (because of the plethora of chargers) and for breakfast. Perhaps at The Corner Bakery or Panera Bread?...

SharonaLA said:
Was fun to see everybody and the cupcakes were a bonus. Plus I bought something at Ikea.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=10150517445772334&set=a.59694032333.73789.674637333&type=1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To make it easier for people to find chargers, I circled where they are located in black. The three on Orange Grove are inside the parking structures. I suggest we all meet behind the Islands burger joint, which will not be open at that hour. With two chargers right there and two more across the street. I encourage everyone to plug in, even if you don't need the charge. You can bet the city and business owners are watching to see if they are being used. Those that get there early can scout out the coffee shops nearby and we can all pick a place to go from there.

For those interested the chargers on Pass avenue are now installed as well, and while I haven't checked them, likely they are on. These two are just north of the 101 freeway, in the grocery stores parking lot. They are located near the large sign for the shopping complex, right next to the sidewalk that is on Pass Avenue. If you hit Oak street you went past them.

There is also an event this Saturday 1-28-12 from 9 AM till Noon on Lake street to celebrate the solar array the BWP has installed at the power plant. Lake and Magnolia Blvd, but no chargers? Plug in America will be there so stop by and say hi if you are nearby.

I am watching to see where your Feb 18th Gathering will be held.

Remember, those of us from "far away" do not know where
the "Cookie Shop" or "Burger Joint" are located.

A city name, Zip code, and address would help,
as well as a nearby major street crossing.

See you there.
Does anybody need me to bring anything?

Cheers, Gary

garygid said:
I am watching to see where your Feb 18th Gathering will be held.

Remember, those of us from "far away" do not know where
the "Cookie Shop" or "Burger Joint" are located.

A city name, Zip code, and address would help,
as well as a nearby major street crossing.

See you there.
Does anybody need me to bring anything?

Cheers, Gary
Good points Gary.

The adress of Islands is:
101 E. Orange Grove Ave
Burbank, CA 91502
Cross street would be 1st. Take the Olive ave. exit off 5N and make the first left, which is 1st. Make a right on Orange Grove, (second street after crossing Olive) and then a quick left into the parking structure. If you choose to go into the right parking structure, drive up around one hairpin and you will see two chargers on the left side. If those are taken by attendees, try going further up Orange Grove and hang a left into the parking garage that spans the street, just past San Fernando Blvd. That is where I will likely park, and if you need the charge, feel free to unplug me. I am a sliver Leaf with wildcatzoo.org license plate frames.

If you choose surface streets, San Fernando is pretty good until you get to Downtown Burbank, then the lights will be constant, but you will only be blocks away from us.
Chargers are located right behind it in the parking structure which should be empty at that hour.

Olive exit off 5N?

We have an I-5 which is about 1300 miles long, but no 5N ... :lol:

Maybe Burbank is a clue!
Google the address and it shows one block North of I-5 ... in Burbank. :D

Farther away but...

Burbank Public Works - Community Development.
333 E. Olive Ave.
Burbank, CA 91502

Could you be more specific about the new charge stations on Pass Avenue? Also, please post that info on your favorite apps and at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope to stop by the BWP event around 11am Saturday. Thanks for the heads up.

"I encourage everyone to plug in, even if you don't need the charge. "

Isn't this encouraging selfish hogging of resources? The purpose of the chargers is for charging - not to unnecessarily prevent someone from using a charger that they may actually need. Again... seems kind of selfish/selfcentered to me.

skobay said:
"I encourage everyone to plug in, even if you don't need the charge. "

Isn't this encouraging selfish hogging of resources? The purpose of the chargers is for charging - not to unnecessarily prevent someone from using a charger that they may actually need. Again... seems kind of selfish/selfcentered to me.
No, this is encouraging people to let the merchants/city know that the chargers brought people into the city from many locations. If you don't need the charge and feel selfsh about it, plug in for 10 seconds, and call it good. With a total of 16 ways to charge in a six block area, I doubt that we will prevent anyone from getting a charge that needs it, at least at that time, on that day. I wasn't talking about anywhere at any time.

Oh, and there is nothing in the world any human does that is not selfish, so get used to it, you do it too.

91040 said:
Farther away but...

333 E. Olive Ave.
Burbank, CA 91502

Could you be more specific about the new charge stations on Pass Avenue? Also, please post that info on your favorite apps and at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope to stop by the BWP event around 11am Saturday. Thanks for the heads up.
I am not sure about this location. It is an old EV charging spot, and may not work. I will try to get by there, but the last time I was there I think all I saw was a socket for L1, and the space was hard to find/access.

Here is a google shot of where the Pass Ave chargers are. Note in my original post I said north of the 101 freeway, it is actually the 134 in this area.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150526643677334&set=a.59694032333.73789.674637333&type=1&ref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid said:
Olive exit off 5N?

We have an I-5 which is about 1300 miles long, but no 5N ... :lol:

Maybe Burbank is a clue!
Google the address and it shows one block North of I-5 ... in Burbank. :D
Google earth is the screen shot I posted to begin with, not sure if you saw it.

If you are coming from the north, on the I-5 S you will need to get off at the Burbank Blvd. Exit, or the Verdugo street exit. Tom now wants to meet at the Corner Bakery, which is a pretty good walk from Islands, so if you are early and need a charge I am willing to shuttle people from the Islands location.

We will miss you Sharon!

Sorry, I didn't even see Islands discussed. Is it an area or a restaurant? I'm happy to change it if that is the consensus...

Caracalover said:
Tom now wants to meet at the Corner Bakery, which is a pretty good walk from Islands, so if you are early and need a charge I am willing to shuttle people from the Islands location.

TomT said:
Sorry, I didn't even see Islands discussed. Is it an area or a restaurant? I'm happy to change it if that is the consensus...

Caracalover said:
Tom now wants to meet at the Corner Bakery, which is a pretty good walk from Islands, so if you are early and need a charge I am willing to shuttle people from the Islands location.
I had suggested we meet at the chargers behind Islands, and then go eat somewhere. Islands is a burger chain that isn't open for breakfast, so we should have that parking area to ourselves and those that need or wish to plug in can grab rides from those of us that don't.

I am all for Corner Bakery, but I have not been in the parking lot there so I don't know how much space there is.

I don't specifically know either but it looks like there is some judging from the satellite photo. It is also just across the corner and down the street from the big parking lot across from Ikea... I just thought it would be nice to have a specific location in mind and something that looked like it had a good breakfast assortment.

Caracalover said:
I am all for Corner Bakery, but I have not been in the parking lot there so I don't know how much space there is.

Caracalover said:
91040 said:
Farther away but...

333 E. Olive Ave.
Burbank, CA 91502

I am not sure about this location. It is an old EV charging spot, and may not work. I will try to get by there, but the last time I was there I think all I saw was a socket for L1, and the space was hard to find/access.

Here is a google shot of where the Pass Ave chargers are. Note in my original post I said north of the 101 freeway, it is actually the 134 in this area.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150526643677334&set=a.59694032333.73789.674637333&type=1&ref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As of 1/27/12:
There is only one Chargepoint at 333 E Olive and the signage is problematic. Both a Handicap and EV sign are on the post without any special marking on the pavement. The spot directly in front of the EVSE is reserved for city vehicles. It is functional.

Stopped by the Pass Ave units as well. They were not powered yet but seemed to be ready.

Sorry that I won't be able to make this meeting either. Work calls!

It may have been me who is, of course, getting it from you tomorrow...

garygid said:
Who was wanting me to bring an SOC-Meter (Kit or Built)
to the Gathering on Feb 18th for them?
Did you decide to delay ordering?

How many people are planning to attend? I may have to bow out myself. Perhaps it is still too far away for most to commit?

Back