Nissan's Lack of Communication on Delivery Delay

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
charlie1300 said:
Just an observation -
In this and other threads there seems to be some confusion between # of Leafs produced vs # of Leafs delivered to customers. Based on information in various threads (Including my all time favorite - tracking ships :lol: ) It appears that there is at least 4-6 weeks between a Leaf being produced, and it being delivered to a west coast customer. Will be longer for Europe, shorter for Japan. So the simplest explanation is that there are a whole lot of Leafs currently in transit to various dealers in various countries. A couple months will tell if there is a more complicated explanation. For now, I'll go by Occam's razor.

If 4-4 weeks is true why was I unable to change my color on Dec 10 but I have a March delivery date? That's more like 11-12 weeks if it was in production.

I haven't seen any information on Nissan's rules about when they lock out changes in anticipation of a order getting scheduled for production. Add to that the quirkiness of the web site, who knows if the time frame you experienced may or may not be reasonable.
I don't doubt, and would have expected, that production into December would have hitches, and that relatively few cars were produced, fewer than Nissan hoped for. But my point is not exactly how many days it takes between production and delivery, but that it takes quite a while, which allows for there to be a lot of product in transit. In the absence of hard news that there is some production problem, it seems overly complicated to suppose some mysterious major production problem is holding things up. But time will tell.

sjfotos said:
As for our most recent vociferous forum visitor, I would assert that the most likely origin of these fevered observations is China.

Meh....I offered to answer any questions as a Leaf owner with 1100+ miles on my car. Tom apparently declined.

So in the face of true, factual USER information, he chooses to believe one or two interent 'news' articles as the only facts available......you can't argue with someone who refuses to open their eyes. ;)

Just as a "piece of information" about one model of production and delivery. I also ordered a Chevy Volt at about the same time as my order for the LEAF.

My Volt went into actual production:

11/30/2010

Finished production and went to QC and shipping prep:

12/21/2010

Actually moved to a railcar for transit from Detroit to California on:

12/29/2010

And arrived at my dealer for delivery to me on:

1/12/2011

All of those dates were available as the process of setting up production, etc. rolled along via a NON-GM website that tracked every stage of GM's record keeping on special order cars.

I post this just to give others a realistic idea of the timing process for vehicle production, when things go smoothly in a modern plant.

GeorgeParrott said:
All of those dates were available as the process of setting up production, etc. rolled along via a NON-GM website that tracked every stage of GM's record keeping on special order cars.

I post this just to give others a realistic idea of the timing process for vehicle production, when things go smoothly in a modern plant.

Is there an echo in here?

GeorgeParrott said:
Just as a "piece of information" about one model of production and delivery. I also ordered a Chevy Volt at about the same time as my order for the LEAF.
So appx 5 weeks from start of manufacture to delivery for the Volt from Michigan to California.

I wonder how ship vs rail transport times compare...

It appears that GM does the shipping prep at the railyard before loading the car while Japanese cars seem to have a decent amount of work done in port after the ship arrives which mixes things up a bit.

As of this morning (Feb. 27, 2011), my LEAF dashboard finally updated to include the VIN number of my car and to now "assure me" (rather than promise or anything stronger) that delivery of my car would take place "in the week of February 18, 2011." I am still a bit confused as to what IS the "week of February 18, 2011," since on my calendar Feb. 18 seems to be a Friday and thus which week is that delivery actually "in?" The week that starts on our/my calendar with Feb. 13, or the one that follows?

Just another smooth bit of communications from Nissan in this whole delivery process.

And this seems to suggest that the delivery rate will be staying at around 1 car/day at least between now and the end of February, so consumer ready vehicles are still arriving at a trickle, at best here in the US (despite production of "2000 cars a day" at the factory.

But it does now appear that my shiny red Volt has to only wait another 3 weeks for it's garage companion pearl LEAF.

GeorgeParrott said:
As of this morning (Feb. 27, 2011), my LEAF dashboard finally updated to include the VIN number of my car and to now "assure me" (rather than promise or anything stronger) that delivery of my car would take place "in the week of February 18, 2011." I am still a bit confused as to what IS the "week of February 18, 2011," since on my calendar Feb. 18 seems to be a Friday and thus which week is that delivery actually "in?" The week that starts on our/my calendar with Feb. 13, or the one that follows?

Just another smooth bit of communications from Nissan in this whole delivery process.

And this seems to suggest that the delivery rate will be staying at around 1 car/day at least between now and the end of February, so consumer ready vehicles are still arriving at a trickle, at best here in the US (despite production of "2000 cars a day" at the factory.

But it does now appear that my shiny red Volt has to only wait another 3 weeks for it's garage companion pearl LEAF.

GeorgeParrot,
I agree the week of... is strange! My Estimated delivery went from the week of February 14th to the week of February 15th!
From a Monday to a Tuesday! Nonesense and useless! Happy we have a close ETA- don't get me wrong!

GeorgeParrott said:
I am still a bit confused as to what IS the "week of February 18, 2011," since on my calendar Feb. 18 seems to be a Friday and thus which week is that delivery actually "in?"

That aspect of the display has been confusing in this way since the first deliveries - those of us in the first batch had our "week of" date bouncing all over the place almost daily, landing on arbitrary days of the week. I spoke with someone from Nissan at the SD rollout event about it back in December and he acknowledged that the language was at a minimum odd and confusing if not outright frustrating. The consensus was that data was being fed/filled in by a system that was estimating an actual date (based on progress of the ship etc), and the 'week of' syntax is basically a hard coded boilerplate artifact of the portal site. Which is to say, the two systems were not designed in perfect coordination. Of course it should be fixed, but in the real world the nimbleness to fix even seemingly dead simple things like that is often lacking...for example the coder of the portal page is probably on to something else (if he even works for Nissan - or the third party development contract is finished and the code is for practical purposes frozen). Yes, any number of people, including a bunch of us, could "just go in" and change 'week of' to 'within a week on either side of' or something like that, but to do that you've got to get someone to decide to spend the money. To put it another way...Dilbert is funny because it's true. My portal still says "Week of Jan 6" (a Thursday).... we got our car on Jan 4th. Hang in there.

GeorgeParrott said:
As of this morning (Feb. 27, 2011), my LEAF dashboard finally updated to include the VIN number of my car and to now "assure me" (rather than promise or anything stronger) that delivery of my car would take place "in the week of February 18, 2011."

Same here. Don't worry the end is near.

And now that my Carwings has opened up, it won't allow me to log in as there is some kind of glitch so that it doesn't like either my password and/or my email address.

Clearly, this is not a problem really, as I have now called the wonderful (yes sarcasm) Nissan LEAF "customer service" and they have "escalated the problem action," so probably by next Monday or Tuesday it will get fixed.

But, I am getting the idea, I am not sure for what reason, that Nissan REALLY doesn't like me.

8 - (

And my mother thought I was really loveable.

But soon, it WILL be actual "LEAF DRIVE" time.

Yet, my compassion still goes out to all those behind us on the ordering list, Chevy delivered more Volts in the first week of action than Nissan has been able to achieve in now two months of their roll out.

GeorgeParrott said:
But, I am getting the idea, I am not sure for what reason, that Nissan REALLY doesn't like me.
..... Chevy delivered more Volts in the first week of action than Nissan has been able to achieve in now two months of their roll out.

(A true paranoid would point out the correlation between the abuse Nissan is apparently heaping on you and your predilection for Volt accolades. Just sayin'.)

Is it Carwings you can't get into (which doesn't really open up until the car is logged in at delivery), or 'just' the Nissan Owners Portal itself, from which you will ultimately launch Carwings?

It is the portal that doesn't let me finish my registration. :(

I am looking forward to heaping accolades on the/my LEAF; I really am, as I think, even the current EV technology and battery range, fully meet around 95% of ALL our dual career driving needs. I totally support Nissan making this significant move to produce in volume a customer affordable EV and one that is as five passenger functional as the LEAF.

I just wish Nissan Corporate were actually as attentive to us as individual customers as they have been to the "idea" of producing an EV. :mrgreen:

Without any communication from Nissan, except "four to seven months from order", and "Pending", I'm really hoping they stick to that.

"4 to 7 months' means my car could come as early as next week (October 1 order)! Yay!
So far, they've assured me that it won't come before Feb 1.

But more importantly, Nissan will certainly deliver it no later than May 1, 2011.

They wouldn't go back on their word (again), right?

They take some aspect that Nissan do their work into a best time. But it has a situation that they can deal with the delaying delivery. However, it’s good to see that Nissan had a progress in the part of delivery.

It has now been a full week since anyone on the forum actually reported a LEAF delivered. And the humor of this situation is that our spreadsheet projection (another thread) gives as the anticipated delivery time for those of us waiting as "never," since the spreadsheet makes projections of delivery based a the "most recent 7 day report."

Even I know it is not that bad....... :mrgreen:

Back