Hx is really low, but car runs great (I'm just paranoid)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carderh

Hey, everyone...
I am the happy owner of a 2016 Leaf model "S", and have been "lurking" on the forum since I bought it 3 years ago. All has been pretty much OK; the car has LeafSpyPro installed, and has 39k miles.
I don't drive much (5K miles in 3 years) and get about 1 mile range for 1% of battery usage. The battery cell screen shows cells all red except for the blue middle one, and has been since I bought it. I guess it is continually balancing.

My local Nissan dealer couldn't care less and hasn't been helpful...

I would like some advice, but I don't know how to display the LSP (LeafSpy Pro) screens for you on this forum. I'll try to describe my concerns:
The LSP Logging history shows that the "Hx" has been 52.71 when bought in 3/2021, to 40.95 now; steadily declining over the period. Apparently, as indicated on the forum, that is really a low -to-fatal reading. The mv reading on the individual battery cell screen hovers between 20 to 35 mv.(which is good, as far as I can devine from the conversations I have read.). So, my observations have been positive so far, except for the Hx.
The date of delivery was January 2017, so I guess my battery with 9 bars could go to 8 before January 2025, but that is another conversation to have soon.

I would appreciate any comments...have I given enough information?
My wife and I really like the car, and would like to keep it for a while, We have had no major issues.

Thank you in advance,
GeorgeInNC

Man, what an OCD bunch we Leaf owners are! Leafspy is a great diagnostic tool, but beyond that, I think it does more to make people paranoid than help.
If you didn't have Leafspy, would anything in the operation of the car give you concern? If no, than forget Leafspy, It will not change anything, all it does is show you the exact same info the BMS and the rest of the cars electronics see.
Enjoy the car and save the mental anguish for when problems DO crop up!

It's not mental anquish, but a desire not to be stranded somewhere. There have been some recent responses that imply, or state, that low Hx is a battery going bad. That is something I want to be aware of...and to take care to address. Isn't that what this forum is about?

Unless you plan on buying a new battery, there isn't something to do. An ICE car can snap a timing belt, it will leave you on the side of the road, and there will be no warning. Obsessing over something you can't change is only going to make you unhappy.
If you find you can go shorter and shorter distances on a full charge, that is your warning that you may have to address the issue, focusing on some number that really doesn't have an practical meaning doesn't change anything.
You can't prevent battery degradation, and if you follow common sense rules (don't QC hot, etc) it will be what it will be, when it becomes a problem then deal with it, either repair or sell and move on.
I fully expect that I am going to have to face the battery issue before I am done with my Leaf, but I also knew, because I did a ton of research before I bought, that was something that will happen. Worrying about what Leafspy says doesn't change it one little bit.
I'm no knocking Leafspy, it is good thing to use when diagnosing a problem, and when buying a used Leaf can be beneficial when looking at cell balance, but to worry about every little number isn't.

Hey, everyone...
I am the happy owner of a 2016 Leaf model "S", and have been "lurking" on the forum since I bought it 3 years ago. All has been pretty much OK; the car has LeafSpyPro installed, and has 39k miles.
I don't drive much (5K miles in 3 years) and get about 1 mile range for 1% of battery usage. The battery cell screen shows cells all red except for the blue middle one, and has been since I bought it. I guess it is continually balancing.

My local Nissan dealer couldn't care less and hasn't been helpful...

I would like some advice, but I don't know how to display the LSP (LeafSpy Pro) screens for you on this forum. I'll try to describe my concerns:
The LSP Logging history shows that the "Hx" has been 52.71 when bought in 3/2021, to 40.95 now; steadily declining over the period. Apparently, as indicated on the forum, that is really a low -to-fatal reading. The mv reading on the individual battery cell screen hovers between 20 to 35 mv.(which is good, as far as I can devine from the conversations I have read.). So, my observations have been positive so far, except for the Hx.
The date of delivery was January 2017, so I guess my battery with 9 bars could go to 8 before January 2025, but that is another conversation to have soon.

I would appreciate any comments...have I given enough information?
My wife and I really like the car, and would like to keep it for a while, We have had no major issues.

Thank you in advance,
GeorgeInNC

Drive the SNOT out of it and get to 8 bars would be my advice. But generally, what people in the forums say is true. If the car drives well, there's nothing you can do other than enjoy it, sell it, or worry. 30 kWh versions do have a tendency to occasionally have cell failures when they degrade, so it's a possibility. 24 kWh batteries tend to work even with really low SOH or Hx--the range just goes down.

Range anxiety, battery degradation, and chargers down, busy, blocked by an ICE Vehicle, or expensive rates is why we sold our 2020 Leaf 40 kWh. We made money on that Car. Never bought an EV to so-called "Save the Planet". We just love Technology and being an Electronic Engineer helps. Previous EV was a 2013 Leaf purchased new. All chargers were free back then and few EV's around to use them. It was Heaven as a commuter. Now we have 4 ICE Vehicles, zero EV's. Our newest addition is a very cool 1998 Olds Aurora with the Autobahn package. What a Driver's Car. Hopefully the fire breathing Northstar V8 Engine doesn't blow a head gasket. They are known for that, unfortunately. People ask us all the time "What kind of Car is that?". The only Oldsmobile emblem is located on the Radio. We did attempt to buy a 2016 Tesla "S" 75D for $25K with 44K miles. Mint, local Owner, and free lifetime charging. The Dealer lets us take it Home for a weekend and we experimented with a 90% charge, driving it on level freeway at 75mph, "Chill mode on", 58 degrees outside, at 120 miles the low battery alert came on. It was rated for 259 miles maximum. We thought 120 miles was bad range even though we were driving at 75 MPH. Maybe normal, maybe bad Batteries? Tesla Service wouldn't comment and the Dealer wouldn't let us talk to the original Owner so we didn't buy it. Still looking.

Back