Nissan's Lack of Communication on Delivery Delay

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
sjfotos said:
As for our most recent vociferous forum visitor, I would assert that the most likely origin of these fevered observations is China.
Actually, his IP is in the US - though I can't tell if his English betrays any German hint. It is difficult to say what drives anyone, but hatred of a group of people is a powerful motivator.

His last name is a German last name "double nn", and "tt" - also his accent - out of using the wrong words due to lacking translation skills also goes along with being a German native as he stated.

Ralph

So I think we all know the reason for the very limit supply of Leafs to the US is because Nissan was trying to get as many Leafs in the hands of their Japaneses customers before the subsidies end. Well If this following information is correct, Japan has re-instated the $12,000 rebate. I wonder what affect his will have on the number of Leafs that make it across.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...y-incentive-for-EVs-in-Japan-is-back!?p=60547

If it increases domestic demand for the Leaf, we will likely see some shift back to domestic production, but I have to think that Nissan won't be risking any more bad PR by delaying deliveries to US customers who reserved their Leaf nearly a year ago and ordered over 4 months ago.

I suspect that once the backlog is cleared a typical wait between order and delivery will be appx 3 months until they open up the 2nd wave of reservations.

Well - that's how I'd do it anyway! :p

I think they already met the initial demand in Japan or at least will by the end of this month so I doubt the rebate will have the same effect that it did the last two months.

muus said:
So I think we all know the reason for the very limit supply of Leafs to the US is because Nissan was trying to get as many Leafs in the hands of their Japaneses customers before the subsidies end. Well If this following information is correct, Japan has re-instated the $12,000 rebate. I wonder what affect his will have on the number of Leafs that make it across.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...y-incentive-for-EVs-in-Japan-is-back!?p=60547
Interesting info.

No, I don't think it will have much effect on US deliveries. Now Nissan will go back to their regular program of sending 50% of the production to US and the rest to Japan, EU. The problem earlier was that they had to rush deliveries to Japan since the rebates were ending.

I asked Nissan today when they would deliver my reserved car. They said summer 2012. I asked them to return my deposit.

It appears that they are having supply chain problems and their manufacturing schedule has been disrupted.

I hope Ford can deliver a Focus EV sometime this year.

reinhardschumann said:
I asked Nissan today when they would deliver my reserved car. They said summer 2012. I asked them to return my deposit.

It appears that they are having supply chain problems and their manufacturing schedule has been disrupted.

What state is your reservation in?

LEAFfan said:
reinhardschumann said:

It will probably be sometime in 2012 and only if you are in one of their roll out states.

I agree. I'm in Minnesota and I won't even consider dropping my reservation..even though I am prepared to ship a Focus EV up from Chicago if they are available before the Leaf. The fact we don't have a price yet on the Focus tells me either they are going to be more expensive than expected or they are further off than we are being told. The only other alternative right now is to reserve an MiEV....and with that the wait is going to be end of 2012 anyway.

Nope...I'll just keep sitting on my Leaf reservation.

LeafinThePark said:
I agree. I'm in Minnesota and I won't even consider dropping my reservation..even though I am prepared to ship a Focus EV up from Chicago if they are available before the Leaf. The fact we don't have a price yet on the Focus tells me either they are going to be more expensive than expected or they are further off than we are being told. The only other alternative right now is to reserve an MiEV....and with that the wait is going to be end of 2012 anyway.

Nope...I'll just keep sitting on my Leaf reservation.

Feeling the same here in the Chicago suburbs. It'll be interesting to see where Ford prices the Focus EV. Frankly, Ford is handling the Focus EV with an extreme lack of enthusiasm (for lack of a better word) after its announcement several months ago - almost like its just a side project that a group in the company is doing and Ford proper doesn't really care much. I'm definitely not getting many good vibes from Ford there - even though I'd love to have one of those cars.

I've reset my expectations to late 2012 for an initial Tier 3 Leaf (presumably from Smyrna, TN), sitting on my reservation and will be seeing how the Volt, the Focus EV and the Prius Plug-In (you'll be able to order the PIP out of state but have to take delivery in a launch state) rollout over the next year and a half for our areas.

LeafinThePark said:
The only other alternative right now is to reserve an MiEV....and with that the wait is going to be end of 2012 anyway.
What's your basis for claiming that? Mitsubishi has set the price of the "i" and has started taking reservations. They claim it will arrive "early 2012". It sounds like they are running about a year behind the LEAF schedule.

Ray

planet4ever said:
LeafinThePark said:
The only other alternative right now is to reserve an MiEV....and with that the wait is going to be end of 2012 anyway.
What's your basis for claiming that? Mitsubishi has set the price of the "i" and has started taking reservations. They claim it will arrive "early 2012". It sounds like they are running about a year behind the LEAF schedule.

Ray

This information is straight from Mitsubishi...

Yanquetino said:
Unlike some, I really like the funky look of the "i". It might not have all the bells-and-whistles of the LEAF, but you're not paying for those features either. I am tempted to also put down a deposit on one, but unfortunately... it looks like I couldn't take delivery any sooner than a LEAF: my state is --once again-- on the tail end of the rollout. :(

Here is the schedule for the "i", if forum members want to check their state:
The Mitsubishi i delivery schedule.
See when our remarkable EV will be available in your state.

Dates listed below are estimated and subject to change.

California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington.
Finalize your Mitsubishi i order by: 10/1/11
Receive it by: 1/31/12

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virginia.
Finalize your Mitsubishi i order by: 1/1/12
Receive it by: 4/30/12

Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.
Finalize your Mitsubishi i order by: 8/1/12
Receive it by: 11/30/12

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Finalize your Mitsubishi i order by: 10/1/12
Receive it by: 1/31/13

I also am concerned about having enough space in the i-MiEV for my hockey gear....

Wow, we're (IL) actually in an early rollout area for a EV? Wow.

I wish the iMiev wasn't rear wheel drive and had more battery capacity and I'd be signed up for it (I could stand the look if it didn't have the other issues). It would be a great big city vehicle though, IMHO of course.

Sasparilla said:
I wish the iMiev wasn't rear wheel drive and had more battery capacity and I'd be signed up for it (I could stand the look if it didn't have the other issues). It would be a great big city vehicle though, IMHO of course.
I did sign up for it and just might get mad enough at Nissan to jump ship. We are suburban - 23 miles from downtown San Jose, 10 miles from the next town down the road. Even if I discount their advertised 80 miles to 50 it will satisfy most of our needs. Lack of storage space is my biggest concern.

Ray

Well you guys should love this chat with Nissan - I actually got an honest answer as to why my Leaf has been delayed:

Electricfuture: I originally signed up in Jan. 2010 and paid my $99 in April. In August I completed all paperwork. But I was told I could not order until Nov. after I received an e-mail. I ordered in Nov. and was told 4-6 month delivery. Then I had an "April" delivery. This was moved to June, but was told that this could move up. I can see on the Forum that people ordering later than myself have already received their vehicles. Why have I not received mine?

Jasmin: Yes there was an issue with some orders being filled out of order and I apologize for any frustrations this caused. Currently we are striving to fill orders from the people that were skipped over in order. Due to this mix up in order filling there have been some delays and confusion while we try to rectify the situation as best as possible.

Electricfuture: Look - I was one of the first to originally get on board. I cannot believe that I am being treated like this. You realize I have been in a que for 18 months? What can be done to get my vehicle moved up?

Jasmin: We are doing everything in our power to move up all the vehicles that were inadvertently skipped over including yours. I do apologize for the frustration, however we are doing the best we can to get your vehicle to you safely and properly.

Electricfuture: Well I can tell you that "excess" vehicles were being sold in L.A. by a dealership. Also, I have been checking this site for a month to see if there has been a "correction" and you can see - nothing yet.

Jasmin: Those 'excess' vehicles are vehicles that were produced for a consumer that was for one reason or another unable to take delivery. At that point the vehicle belongs to the dealership to dispose of as they see fit. The correction we have in place provides you with a LEAF of your own made for you in June. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Electricfuture: Then you also know that there is on for sale on Auto trader!

Jasmin: Once we produce a LEAF for a customer we cannot control what happens to the car if the customer becomes unable to take delivery. At that point the LEAF belongs to the dealership. I apologize they are selling LEAFs in this manner. The only way we here are CS can rectify this situation is if we are notified of the cancellation before the car is sent to the dealership. Once the vehicle gets to the dealer it is in the dealerships hands not ours. Again I apologize for any inconveniences.

electricfuture said:
Well you guys should love this chat with Nissan - I actually got an honest answer as to why my Leaf has been delayed:

Jasmin: Yes there was an issue with some orders being filled out of order and I apologize for any frustrations this caused. Currently we are striving to fill orders from the people that were skipped over in order. Due to this mix up in order filling there have been some delays and confusion while we try to rectify the situation as best as possible.

If only this were true. Look at orders on or around September 29 -- specifically those of wamsbary and Rat. (Or poor Randmac who complained on this board roughly a week ago and now appears to have cancelled out of frustration). Both ordered Blue SL+QC cars and have 6/2011 delivery estimates. People who ordered Blue SL+QC cars (or Blue SL-e -- same thing) after them have April and May delivery dates.

Why? How is this "fill[ing] orders from the people that were skipped over in order?"

FYI: Randmac's last post about delivery delays in the "April Deliveries" thread"

Randmac said:
Yesterday I email my PD a link to the spreadsheet and asked if there was something I did or didn't do that was delaying my order. The dealer replied:

"Number one is you have done nothing wrong. All orders are in order of date received. That said cars get built in groups. When they build cars it is done based on colors and options. My own car is being built after some of the orders I received after mine was placed. It is not an exact science. Nissan is doing what they can to be fair it's just a real difficult project when you have consumers waiting. The problems in Japan will make this even more difficult in the future. Lets hope we can get your car quickly."

I got a call yesterday from a Nissan Leaf rep who tells me that my car along with about 200 others is being delayed because of a "Pollen problem" and that the cars needed to be handwashed and they are doing that before rail shipping them...Really? Or is it that they found radioactive matter on it? They have now for this reason changed the delivery date from the week of May 6th until Week of June 3rd... VIN# 1857

Anyone have the real story on the "Pollen" problem?

Sat Apr 17 05:32:02 CDT 2010 Ordered Mon Nov 15 15:26:01 CST 2010

jteeny said:
I got a call yesterday from a Nissan Leaf rep who tells me that my car along with about 200 others is being delayed because of a "Pollen problem" and that the cars needed to be handwashed and they are doing that before rail shipping them...Really? Or is it that they found radioactive matter on it? They have now for this reason changed the delivery date from the week of May 6th until Week of June 3rd... VIN# 1857
Anyone have the real story on the "Pollen" problem?
Sat Apr 17 05:32:02 CDT 2010 Ordered Mon Nov 15 15:26:01 CST 2010

I was told the pollen was from Japan and the last ship left one day before the earthquake/tsunami. I was also told by sup Brian that mine wasn't one of the cars affected.

Back