Will Nissan Refund the $700 we Wasted on CHAdeMO sockets?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abasile said:
As more QC stations come online, and your battery pack gradually loses capacity over time, I think it'll prove to be more and more useful.

In full disclosure, I have some level of self interest here. The more EVs that are sold with QC ports, the more incentive there will be for companies to install DC Fast Chargers, some of which I might end up being able to use. :D

I couldn't agree more. I wish Nissan had educated their initial customers better in this regard, and I wish that the QC port was either standard or that Nissan wouldn't force you to purchase the SL trim to get it. Additionally, given the current situation, they should offer QC as a dealer installable or at least as an aftermarket kit. There shouldn't be much more to it than two cables to the battery, the port itself and a control module.

Some IEEE Standards activity on Electric Vehicles.

http://standards.ieee.org/news/2011/sae.html

Bill Sweet's opinions make it difficult for me to be a member. However, maybe it's time for the IEEE members involved with real EV's to take action.

edit : Adding a link to SAE International publication on Nissan LEAF (Feb 2011)

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/sae/11EVSD0223/index.php#/0

Level 3 charging along I5 in Washington State is coming! :D

WSDOT announced that there will be 9 L3 chargers along I5 by November 30th.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2011/07/13_ElectricHighways.htm

Within six months, drivers will be recharging their electric vehicles, like the Nissan LEAF and Chevrolet Volt, along Washington’s Electric Highways.

The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) selected Monrovia, Calif.-based AeroVironment (NASDAQ: AVAV) to transform Interstate 5 and US 2 into the premier interstates of the 21st century, serving the latest generation of electric cars.

AeroVironment rose to the top during a competitive contract award process in which six companies submitted proposals to electrify I-5 and US 2 on a budget of $1 million.
The fast-charging stations will be operational by Nov. 30, and will power an electric vehicle from zero to fully charged in less than 30 minutes. Each station also will include a Level 2 “medium-speed” charging station, which will cost less for users and take up to four to six hours for a full charge. The stations will be located at private retail locations such as shopping malls, fueling stations and travel centers with easy access to the highway.

Its also possible you may be able to buy a "semi quick" charger for your garage that uses the L3 port, and gets a full charge in under 2 hours.. and if its portable perhaps you would be able to use in RV campgrounds with 240V 50A services.

Herm said:
Its also possible you may be able to buy a "semi quick" charger for your garage that uses the L3 port, and gets a full charge in under 2 hours.. and if its portable perhaps you would be able to use in RV campgrounds with 240V 50A services.

Very true, taking full advantage of 7.6kW (e.g. public ChargePoint stations) or 10kW charging (RV camps?) would go a long way. Along with other EAA members, I took the Leaf to the 4th of July parade in San Jose and the number one question people asked was "How long does it take to charge it?".

surfingslovak said:
Very true, taking full advantage of 7.6kW (e.g. public ChargePoint stations) or 10kW charging (RV camps?) would go a long way. Along with other EAA members, I took the Leaf to the 4th of July parade in San Jose and the number one question people asked was "How long does it take to charge it?".

Tell me about it.. I get asked it so often, I actually made a video explaining it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GJh2pBEOFQ[/youtube]

My usual response is "it takes me about 5 seconds to charge."
"I open the door, plug in the cable and then walk away."
"When I come back to my car the next morning it is always full again."

Try that at a gasoline station!

FWIW: I did not buy the QC option. My commute situation does not generally require it. I live in the SF Bay area, which is alleged to get a lot of QCs, but as long as I can trickle when I'm somewhere far away for a while, I'll always have enough charge to get back.

That being said: I now regret not getting the QC. Not because I'll need it, and not even because of resale value, but because of options. Options are good. If you already have it on the order, don't change it. The only reason to change an order would be if you want to go with the 2012 model year. I hear it'll get a 7 kW charger that will actually take advantage of the full wall charger in your garage. That would be more useful to me than a QC port, even. (Here's hoping for an upgrade, which has allegedly been vaguely hinted about)

jwatte said:
That being said: I now regret not getting the QC. Not because I'll need it, and not even because of resale value, but because of options. Options are good. If you already have it on the order, don't change it.

I'm in the same boat and I would reverse my decision not to get the QC if I could. It's too bad that it wasn't offered on the base model, I felt that being forced to get the SL trim was asking a bit too much. I was concerned that the car might be delayed if I ordered lots of options, and I wanted it to arrive before the CVRP rebate funds were exhausted.

A refund? Nope! But I was beginning to get worried till I read this post. This makes me so happy I think I have to go for a joy ride!!!! I can't wait for my first trips to Portland and Leavenworth! This is an amazing moment in history... it's happening folks, it's really happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

g

DaveL said:
Level 3 charging along I5 in Washington State is coming! :D

WSDOT announced that there will be 9 L3 chargers alone I5 by November 30th.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2011/07/13_ElectricHighways.htm

Within six months, drivers will be recharging their electric vehicles, like the Nissan LEAF and Chevrolet Volt, along Washington’s Electric Highways.

The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) selected Monrovia, Calif.-based AeroVironment (NASDAQ: AVAV) to transform Interstate 5 and US 2 into the premier interstates of the 21st century, serving the latest generation of electric cars.

AeroVironment rose to the top during a competitive contract award process in which six companies submitted proposals to electrify I-5 and US 2 on a budget of $1 million.
The fast-charging stations will be operational by Nov. 30, and will power an electric vehicle from zero to fully charged in less than 30 minutes. Each station also will include a Level 2 “medium-speed” charging station, which will cost less for users and take up to four to six hours for a full charge. The stations will be located at private retail locations such as shopping malls, fueling stations and travel centers with easy access to the highway.

Aldric; your "employee post" made my day!! sadly, it appears we work with the same people.

i work in an industry that services other companies. database management, customer education, technical support, etc. so we constantly have to keep up with the client's changing policies and back end processes. its amazing to me how teeny tiny changes in a certain process just completely throws everyone into a panic

right now we are about the start the 2nd phase of a major software upgrade that changes the client software interface we use to make changes to the client database. its really not rocket science and is designed to allow us to be more efficient but the amount of crying and whining i see is unreal.

ok so this was completely off topic, but could not resist. so to stay off - topic but at least this is somewhat related.

have been contacted by a company for information regarding charging/monitoring/Carwings information. will be talking to them today. i am not completely sure of what they do other than they are doing something for the EV industry that will affect customers. i am hoping they are developing or gathering information for another EVSE. if so, what should i suggest other than the obvious

*better user scheduling (like wake up!! should i send you my programmable thermostat if you need some ideas!)

* settable charge levels. like 5% increments from say 40-100%

*android app to monitor or set from phone (everyone else can go fly a kite. the droid market is by far the biggest and that distinction is growing DAILY!)

* current settings (then again, this might be a car limitation but if it had the QC compatible socket then we are looking at maybe up to 50 amps? or so)

*histograms downloadable by web/email/droid that includes txt msg/email updates on status including user settable alert levels for updates to SOC, charge status, on/off options and climate controls

anyway that should be good for a start. what else should i mention?

GaslessInSeattle said:
A refund? Nope! But I was beginning to get worried till I read this post. This makes me so happy I think I have to go for a joy ride!!!! I can't wait for my first trips to Portland and Leavenworth! This is an amazing moment in history... it's happening folks, it's really happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

g

plus 1. for first time in 24 weeks and 4 days of ownership, the Leaf sat at home while we took the Prius to Snoqualmie for the Thomas Train ride. sad part...it was 66 miles. with the hills it was definitely a full charge on the Leaf, but QC at Snoqualmie would have allowed us to Leaf it.

cant wait for that day to come!

abasile said:
I would definitely recommend sticking with the QC option. Multiple dealers in our region ...snip... hope or plan to install DC Fast Chargers in the future. ...snip... and others installed by private companies. Yes, there is always a chance this will not work out. On the other hand, if it does work out, I don't think you'll want to be without a QC port. It will probably help your LEAF's resale value as well.

[Planning to keep the car well beyond 3 years is] all the more reason to have the QC port. As more QC stations come online, and your battery pack gradually loses capacity over time, I think it'll prove to be more and more useful.

In full disclosure, I have some level of self interest here. The more EVs that are sold with QC ports, the more incentive there will be for companies to install DC Fast Chargers, some of which I might end up being able to use. :D
surfingslovak said:
jwatte said:
That being said: I now regret not getting the QC. Not because I'll need it, and not even because of resale value, but because of options. Options are good. If you already have it on the order, don't change it.

I'm in the same boat and I would reverse my decision not to get the QC if I could.
Thanks to the many people who quickly responded with their insights, regrets, and hopes. I will keep the QC option.

For the benefit of readers who may not want to drill back through the thread, I quoted a few responses (above) that seemed to sum up the community reply for me -- (1) keeping options open to future charging opportunities, (2) hedging against battery capacity loss to maintain vehicle usefulness, and (3) resale value.

Time will tell on how all these unknowns will play out, but isn't that is the part of the excitement of being in any game early?

Lastly, Davewill suggested that I expand the data in my profile so that responses could be more focused. That is a good suggestion and I will do it now. Being new to the forum, I have kept mostly to reading and soaking up data, making elementary posts, and learning some of the "personalities" who live here.

TEG said:
My usual response is "it takes me about 5 seconds to charge."
"I open the door, plug in the cable and then walk away."
"When I come back to my car the next morning it is always full again."

Try that at a gasoline station!
Um . . . that kinda misses the point. Yea . . . we all can plug our rides into a socket in 5 seconds ... and unplug in 5 seconds . . . but if you'e on the road? Now THAT's where gassers kill us. It's the 4+ hour wait that we'd like to improve on.

Back before I posted the OP, I didn't know that AV was getting ready to release their OWN version of CAHdeMO. Back before I posted the OP, I didn't know that Mitsubishi was about to announce the opening of their own quick charge station in the center of Orange County (woo hoo!!!).
btw .... it's very very very gracious of Mitsubishi, to open their arms to us ... the competition ... to THEIR CHAdeMO. Anyone stopping by there - please please please make your appreciation well known ... that we all HOPE their gesture of EV-oneness will become a bilateral situation, once AV/Nissan CHAdeMO stations start populating the landscape! That said ... things MAY (operative word) be looking up. There are still serious issues and hurdles ... some of which boomer23 discussed at the last Cerritos meet and greet. It was a real eye-opener ... not ready for public disclosure ... but an eye opener just the same.

hill said:
There are still serious issues and hurdles ... some of which boomer23 discussed at the last Cerritos meet and greet. It was a real eye-opener ... not ready for public disclosure ... but an eye opener just the same.

Huh? No teasing!

its easy to see why Mitsubishi is helping Leafers. Nissan is paving the way to widespread EV acceptance which will benefit every EV manufacturer out there. they are providing an EV that is in a different category so not really direct competition and the better Nissan makes EVs look, the more Mitsubishi benefits

hill said:
...There are still serious issues and hurdles ... some of which boomer23 discussed at the last Cerritos meet and greet. It was a real eye-opener ... not ready for public disclosure ... but an eye opener just the same.

As has been pointed out and bears repeating, for the northwest, it appears a major milestone has been reached with WA state announcing the signing of the contract to have CHAdeMO chargers installed along I-5 from border to border every 30 miles by November 30th of this year. I think once there is a major track of L3 CHAdeMO's out there, it's going to spread quickly in the other Tier 1 states.

Seeing that the majority driving is done in remarkably short distances, well within the overnight charging range of the current LEAF, combined with QC for the occasional long distance trip, it seems like the remaining obstacles are remarkably within reach! Again, I'm very happy I got my vehicle with the CHAdeMO port and singed up with the EV project, getting the QC port for free, but even if I paid full price, I believe it's well worth the investment and really not much of a gamble. Between that, the federal tax rebate of $7,500 and the waived sales tax here, I've found the car purchase to have been remarkably affordable!
g

DaveinOlyWA said:
its easy to see why Mitsubishi is helping Leafers. Nissan is paving the way to widespread EV acceptance which will benefit every EV manufacturer out there. they are providing an EV that is in a different category so not really direct competition and the better Nissan makes EVs look, the more Mitsubishi benefits

They were first on the market with an affordable BEV.. and competition is good, they are offering a much lower cost product and only 11 miles of range less.. for people that dont need the longer range of the Leaf its an ideal car, with a quirky distinctive look.

Herm said:
they are offering a much lower cost product and only 11 miles of range less.
IMHO, less range is the wrong way at this point. When QC infrastructure is built out, it will be less of a problem. But for the next few years, more range is definitely a plus. As more QC stations are added, the CHAdeMO socket on the LEAF will look like less of a waste and more of a necessity.

hill said:
Um . . . that kinda misses the point. Yea . . . we all can plug our rides into a socket in 5 seconds ... and unplug in 5 seconds . . . but if you'e on the road? Now THAT's where gassers kill us. It's the 4+ hour wait that we'd like to improve on.
Yes, but we aren't using our EVs to go on long road trips.

We have best of both worlds. Clean & convinient driving 90% of the days. Convinient ICE driving the rest.

Back