Are LEAF owners going to get shafted?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luft said:
I just read that our quick charge port may not get adopted as a standard in the US. If so how will it be possible to retrofit the leaf with the single plug that the US automakers are pushing? :x

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/05/16/report-carb-says-u-s-is-leaning-towards-non-chademo-quick-char/

Hard to say right now. But I'd say the worst case is probably a third-party coming up with an adapter. And I personally see a possibility Nissan pushing ahead with CHAdeMO on it's own installed units L3, so any non-Nissan driver wanting to charge at a Nissan dealer better have an adapter for the other way! :lol:

I recently read that a Level 3 charger using the chademo standard has received UL approval, so that should mean that manufacturers will start turning these things out in some quantity.

Also, it is my understanding is that the only difference between the proposed SAE standard and the chademo standard is the plug. SAE combines a quick charge connector plug with the J1772 so that there is just one plug. The J1772 connector plugs into the center of the receptacle while the quick charger's larger plug utilizes the entire connector. Sounds like a kludge to me, but it means that an adapter from one plug to the other should be simple.

However, as in HD vs bluray, VHS vs Betamax, or even cassette vs 8 track, a winner will emerge and chademo as used by Nissan, Mitsubishi, and, I believe, Smart, is getting a huge head start.

Dave

Luft said:
I just read that our quick charge port may not get adopted as a standard in the US. If so how will it be possible to retrofit the leaf with the single plug that the US automakers are pushing?
This issue has come up a few times. It is frustrating and right now the answer is pretty much "we don't know". One thread of discussion on this was here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4042

Ya, been down this road before. I always vote in favor of the people actually delivering products that people are using, like the LEAF (vs. the committee that just talks about things that don't even exist).

By the end of this year, the electric highway will be in place with CHAdeMO DC QC's virtually every 40 miles from the Canadian border of Washington to the California border with Oregon. Washignton's plan is just one part of the $230-million EV Project, which will install 15,000 charge stations in Washington, California, Arizona, Tennessee, and Washington, D.C.

my money is on the CHAdeMO horse, it's out on the track running and the alternative hasn't even gotten out of the stable, or shall I say is still in the mares belly.

g

Back