Will Nissan Refund the $700 we Wasted on CHAdeMO sockets?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
DrRocket said:
I remember auditing an LP (that is long playing vinyl record) mastering plant in 1983 or so. The plant manager was convinced LPs were here to stay because anyone could afford to buy a complete system for $79 that would play vinyl records. Very few could afford music CD player at $500 plus $20 CD albums.

That plant was shut down a few years later.....

We'll see.

I definitely have had this conversation a few times. What's different is that the LP's didn't subsequently go up in price.... but petroleum does and will continue to do so.

I suspect that we could guess at what price oil and batteries need to be for the conversion to take place.

I would agree and maybe be bold and say we are already potentially at that point economically and only waiting for the psychology of the market place to catch up. It's worth shifting the comparison of gas to a battery a bit and comparing throughput of the cheap gas tank to hold expensive gasoline with the expensive battery to hold relatively cheap electricity. For the ICE, the fuel tank is cheap but the lifetime of fuel has become exorbitantly expensive. Why the free market hasn't seized on this sooner is very interesting to me as I suspect that tipping point was actually surpassed years back. The throughput of expensive fuel of an ICE over it's lifetime is enormous, something averaging somewhere around $40-50K ish, and that's not taking into account any externalized costs of carbon/acidification to society. Most folks don't want to think about how much of their resources they commit to gasoline, but the number crunchers are starting to turn their heads to realize, the economy is already there for li-ion as more and more people realize that a 70-100 mile range already exceeds most of their needs, especially since it can be refilled conveniently at home at night. No doubt, gas prices will only rise as demand exceeds economical supply, making the equation even more enticing. The fact that large retail chains are committing substantial resources to take the lead in contributing to a charging network, including expensive DC QC stations, says to me that the transition could happen virtually overnight. I've never seen anything so seemingly coordinated over multiple markets come out of the blue like this, not in my lifetime at least.

Even right now, from what I'm seeing, the table is already tilted in favor of batteries/EV's, even in the first generation mass production EV. The cost of the Leaf's battery "gas tank", when compared to the throughput over it's lifetime of cheap electricity could very well make the car pay for itself within 10-ish years, when comparing the savings in electricity over an EV's lifetime vs that of gas in an ICE vehicle's lifetime. Presuming economy of scale and advances in production do what they usually do, and the cost of a 300 mile pack comes within reach for what a 100 mile pack cost's today, the economy of electricity will see converts by the droves in pretty short order. A quick charging network capable of filling that "tank" relatively quickly is essential and I hope CHAdeMO is up to the job because I'm thinking that day is coming much sooner than many realize and it will be a crying shame to have to convert to yet another charging standard in 5 years. The first 300 mile EV Sedan will perhaps be the folly of the wealthy, but soon after I suspect it's going to be within reach of the mass middle class! I just hope that if someone has a better idea than CHAdeMO, that they hurry their buts up and put it out there... but until then, CHAdeMO it is!
g

hbleaf said:
The release specification is 0.9. If you communicate via CAN with your Chademo connector it clearly returns 1.0 as the standard format.
So.. this is still the most interesting quote in this thread. Can you tell more about how you're reading the format from CHAdeMO? I'd be very curious to hear more about your rig, and if you have the 0.9 spec. I can't find it anywhere.

Back