Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafkabob said:
scottf200 said:
Also love the new windshield.
Is that an option or standard? I would not want that windshield here in Phoenix.
Others from Texas and Arizona stated the tint in the Model S panoramic roofs work great there. Same tint in this windshield. I've also lived in Phoenix for 3 years so I understand the sun / heat there.

mwalsh said:
I've got something else to criticize - Elon Musk was laughable in the video, trying to squeeze himself past the second row seating to get to the third row. Clearly they haven't made the second row move far enough forward to allow easy access to the third row seats. Unless it's only kidlings and "little people" you're expected to have back there.
Your remarks are telling.

The purpose of the 2nd row seats rotating forward and stopping where they do is for the car seats in the 2nd row seats. See two verticle red lines in the 2nd row skylights. Plenty of room if you are not rushed or in front of a million viewers eyes.

8gWJsuY.jpg

WsKZaSB.jpg

mwalsh said:
scottf200 said:
Your remarks are telling.
Umm...sure dude. Whatever.
I'll just let you continue your Fan Boy quest, should I?
So nothing about the red vertical line content and how far they do move forward.

I appreciate real criticism about the vehicle not exaggerated jealousy sounding stuff. Many great things included and several things could have been better for some. They had some goals and focused on them. Safety(5*), health, family, controlled performance, etc. Not that hard to get behind that even if it doesn't meet all needs (ie. fold flat 2nd row seats)

Yes, I'm a fan of long range BEVs with a company that promotes electric vehicles better than any other. Again, safety(5*), health, family, controlled performance, etc...

Dude, it is hard to take someone seriously with a 10+ signature lines including horns, sun visors, and LED shifter. Seriously. Telling.

A collection of EM's Tweets, collected at the link below, provide some post-reveal details on the model X rollout.

Sounds like it may not be until ~2017 (if ever) when Tesla will begin deliveries of model Xs at a price much below $100,000.00:

Lower-Range Model X Will Be Built... Someday

One of the hottest topics of concern and speculation has been whether or not Tesla will offer a lower-range Model X using a 70 kWh battery, or something similar - rather than just the 90D and P90D versions currently rated by the EPA. It seemed that was confirmed when Elon recently tweeted that lower-cost versions were planned, but it wasn’t super explicit (what size battery? when?). We still don’t have all the details, but it seems the details aren’t worked out yet. What we do now know is that it will be ~70 kWh ("something like a 70") and the estimated time of arrival is ~12 months from now.

We won’t start talking about "Tesla time" and all of that, but ~12 months is perhaps when long-term X reservations will finally be under control a bit (there are currently ~30,000), so perhaps Tesla is just holding off until these higher-priced, higher-margin Xs are not in such high demand. Or perhaps Tesla wants to achieve some battery improvements before rolling these Xs out. Anyhow, here’s the tweet:

@Chargingtimes something like a 70, but probably around 12 months from now

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 2, 2015
http://cleantechnica.com/2015/10/02/tesla-model-3-or-model-y-will-have-falcon-wing-doors-model-xs-recognize-each-other-7-other-elon-musk-tweets/

Lots of comments on the Tesla forum RE the unconventional utility aspects of this "Sports Utility Vehicle", many focusing on the second row seats (less cargo space than the model S...will they ever fold down?) and living with the Falcon Wing doors.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/84-Model-X

I expect Tesla will fix the seat problem, eventually.

The FW doors are another matter, as they are promoted as the Xs signature feature, and it's unlikely (IMO) Tesla will give them up.

I'm not convinced their advantages outweigh their disadvantages, as opposed to conventional sliding or hinged doors, at least for many potential buyers.

I live in an area where extreme winter weather is common (well, it used to be common, until ~2012...) of very heavy rain and snow events, often concurring with high winds.

So, the way the FWs expose the interior to precipitation, especially for the extended time while the doors slowly open and close, would probably be a problem for buyers in similar climates.

For most X buyers in mild climate, the only real disadvantage to FW doors may be IF they turn out to not be highly reliable, which will probably remain unknown until many Xs are on the road, for an extended period of time.

Given the complexity of the FW design, the multiple factors that could lead to a door failing to open (or worse, failing to close, rendering the X ~un-drivable) would give me pause, even if I was in the market for a ~100,000 SUV, which I certainly am not.

Also see this TMC thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/54946-Model-X-vs-Volvo-XC90

There's quite a few people there who are disappointed with the cargo-hauling utility of the Model X, and are starting to look elsewhere.

GRA said:
Also see this TMC thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/54946-Model-X-vs-Volvo-XC90

There's quite a few people there who are disappointed with the cargo-hauling utility of the Model X, and are starting to look elsewhere.

Yep, for some, the 2nd row seats not folding flat is a deal breaker.
For others, it isn't an issue.

Zythryn said:
GRA said:

Right. For those who just want a tall, expensive/exclusive high-performance people-hauler, it's not a problem. For those who need to carry a wide variety of often large and awkward things as well as people, the non-folding 2nd row seats and the doors are non-starters.

They'll still sell like electric hotcakes! Tesla is doing something right when they can outsell everyone else, even at their stratospheric prices...

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
If you're in LA, ABC7's car guy, Dave Kunz, is about to do a segment on the Model X.
Upshot - too expensive; Tesla busters on the horizon.

GRA said:
Zythryn said:
GRA said:

Right. For those who just want a tall, expensive/exclusive high-performance people-hauler, it's not a problem. For those who need to carry a wide variety of often large and awkward things as well as people, the non-folding 2nd row seats and the doors are non-starters.
The 6 passenger configuration is going to work for a lot of people including myself. Opens up the center as a pass through area. I have and use this 6 passenger configuration in my current 2003 Ford Expedition which I'm not in the process of selling.

Also remember there is a single pedestal for those two 2nd row seats so a lot of room underneath them for feet or to stretch a leg through the center.

wqgICFX.png

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
If you're in LA, ABC7's car guy, Dave Kunz, is about to do a segment on the Model X.

Upshot - too expensive; Tesla busters on the horizon.

Well I certainly hope so.
However, lots of companies have been saying this for years.

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
They'll still sell like electric hotcakes! Tesla is doing something right when they can outsell everyone else, even at their stratospheric prices...

I'll take the Audi instead.

http://abc7.com/automotive/tesla-unveils-model-x/1014450/

You mean the one that is a drawing? http://insideevs.com/audi-ceo-sporty-pure-electric-suv-coming-2017-will-compete-tesla-model-x/

Once I see details, I might as well.
Very unlikely as I won't buy from VW since their intentional fraud came to light.
I also would rather buy direct, rather than deal with a dealership.
I'd also like a high speed DC network.

I'd also like to see the cargo/passenger space available.

Well, it's ~a week after the official X introduction, but apparently, all those who only put $40,000 down, are still waiting to hear their delivery dates.

Some may choose to call Tesla's corporate mission a "blatant bait-and-switch", but I couldn't possibly comment...

Too bad the Author of the article below couldn't get his hands on a 2016 LEAF, yet.

He probably could have driven the same miles and saved a gallon of gas...

Sorry, Friends, But the Tesla Model X Isn’t Progress

A six-figure SUV won’t bring green motoring to the masses.

...For those who’ve forgotten, let Musk remind you. Here, his own words from the Model X’s spoiled-debutante party:

“The mission of Tesla is to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. It’s important to know that any kind of car can go electric.”

...even after the champagne and euphoria were out of their systems, not one journalist called Tesla on its blatant bait-and-switch; to note that the price of each successive Tesla—Roadster, Model S and now Model X—has gone up, not down.

Those Nissan Leafs, Chevrolet Volts and hybrids from Ford or Toyota? Those cars are actually addressing the need to bring affordable electrification to the masses, but they tend to get a collective yawn from media. After all, they don’t have a “Ludicrous Mode” for supercar acceleration, or a quirky visionary in charge. And they definitely don’t have the Tesla’s articulating Falcon doors, whose swoopy complexity distracts everybody from their impractical cost...

Rather than bringing Tesla closer to the goal of the Model III, the Model X may be a 2.5-ton warning sign that the company is either unwilling or unable to pull it off...

As Tesla was debuting a new entrant into the market of unobtainable SUVs, I happened to be driving the second-generation Chevrolet Volt around San Francisco, ground zero for the world’s electric car market. That plug-in Volt...

All told, the Volt covered 106 miles and used precisely one gallon of gasoline...

As Model Xs roll off the line at a relative trickle, boosting social status and soothing the tax burden on those who can actually afford them, Tesla’s media minions will continue to pose a specious question: When will mainstream automakers start competing with Tesla? The real question is, when will Tesla actually start competing with mainstream automakers?
http://the-drive-web-develop.elasticbeanstalk.com/article/369/sorry-friends-but-the-tesla-model-x-isnt-progress

Update on an earlier post.

Do you think that deleting his tweet means Elon considers the term someday too definite?

...A later tweet, also deleted, acknowledged what had been widely expected: that here will be a version of the Model X crossover with a lower-capacity battery than the 90-kilowatt-hour pack offered today.

That version will be "something like a 70," Musk wrote, "but probably around 12 months from now."

He's referring to the 70-kWh battery that's the new base pack in the Model S as of earlier this year...
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1100345_tesla-model-y-low-cost-electric-suv-deleted-musk-tweet-hints-at-it

edatoakrun said:
(posted 10/4)

A collection of EM's Tweets, collected at the link below, provide some post-reveal details on the model X rollout.

Sounds like it may not be until ~2017 (if ever) when Tesla will begin deliveries of model Xs at a price much below $100,000.00:

Lower-Range Model X Will Be Built... Someday

One of the hottest topics of concern and speculation has been whether or not Tesla will offer a lower-range Model X using a 70 kWh battery, or something similar - rather than just the 90D and P90D versions currently rated by the EPA. It seemed that was confirmed when Elon recently tweeted that lower-cost versions were planned, but it wasn’t super explicit (what size battery? when?). We still don’t have all the details, but it seems the details aren’t worked out yet. What we do now know is that it will be ~70 kWh ("something like a 70") and the estimated time of arrival is ~12 months from now.

We won’t start talking about "Tesla time" and all of that, but ~12 months is perhaps when long-term X reservations will finally be under control a bit (there are currently ~30,000), so perhaps Tesla is just holding off until these higher-priced, higher-margin Xs are not in such high demand. Or perhaps Tesla wants to achieve some battery improvements before rolling these Xs out. Anyhow, here’s the tweet:

@Chargingtimes something like a 70, but probably around 12 months from now

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 2, 2015
http://cleantechnica.com/2015/10/02/tesla-model-3-or-model-y-will-have-falcon-wing-doors-model-xs-recognize-each-other-7-other-elon-musk-tweets/

...the price of each successive Tesla—Roadster, Model S and now Model X—has gone up, not down.
That's a silly hit-piece. And the above assertion is easily shown to be incorrect.
The Roadster had a base price of $109,000.
The Tesla Model S 60 had an MSRP of $69,900
The Model X is just an SUV version of the same platform.
The Model 3 has always been the planned next-step-lower vehicle.

Tesla is a startup attempting to enter a really tough, well-established market. Frankly, I'm surprised they've managed to stay in business. They're doing some very difficult stuff, and doing it very well. They need to make enough money off the current platform to help fund the development of the Model 3. The Model X *is* progress - it convinces lots of "spoiled-debutantes" to invest in the development of the Model 3.

Back