Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
scottf200 said:
Glad to see testing continue with trailers of all sizes. <snip>
I wonder if Tesla will provide a range with trailer calculator on their website, or whether we'll have to wait for owner reports. That could be make or break for some prospective customers.
That'd be challenging with all the different styles.
O9wZcaT.png

Found another use for that hitch while we are waiting at the supercharger :)
7082855_orig.jpg

I really don't like this vehicle. I don't see the point of the Falcon doors; it's too bloody expensive; and it's pretty ugly otherwise.

While I like the Model S, and would (because of my Musk issues) begrudgingly purchase one if I could afford it, I would not buy one of these if I had all the money in the world. :D

mwalsh said:
I really don't like this vehicle. I don't see the point of the Falcon doors; it's too bloody expensive; and it's pretty ugly otherwise.

While I like the Model S, and would (because of my Musk issues) begrudgingly purchase one if I could afford it, I would not buy one of these if I had all the money in the world. :D
+1 Even assuming I were willing (and able) to spend that kind of money on an automobile, the doors fail the utility test for a CUV for me (and I suspect the long-term reliability test as well), and I don't care for its looks either.

Yeah, I'm sorry but just got finished watching the Livestream and a Periscope live feed... and this car is not that great looking. And Elon is a TERRIBLE public speaker. For how much anticipation there was, and hype around this car, this was was a dud event.

And for them to keep calling it an "SUV"... umm no.. it's a Crossover. It's a bloated S.

The Rav4ev was their first true and ONLY SUV :lol:

I watched it too.
Musk has a copyright on awkward presentation style and every Tesla event I've been to goes pretty much like this one:
Late start.
Slide presentation that goes a bit too long .
Some shiny objects and then kind of a deflated closing remarks without denouement.

It's what they always do.

As far as the vehicle itself, I don't think of myself as the target demographic.

My wife liked the safety aspect (has owned 3 Volvos) and liked the clean look.
And, BTW, she absolutely hated the RAV 4 EV. Drove it, despised it. So, it takes all kinds.
I, for one, hope Tesla sells a boatload and displaces a lot of ICE SUV sales with this creature.
We'll see. I hope to test drive one soon.

GRA said:
scottf200 said:
I wonder if Tesla will provide a range with trailer calculator on their website, or whether we'll have to wait for owner reports. That could be make or break for some prospective customers.
Ha! I doubt a calculator for trailer towing range, is a make or break, for people buying a six figure mini van.

A mini van I would love to have, mind you.

So, was there ever a final answer on the base price of a Model X? Or, is it still the vague $5k or whatever above a "comparably equipped" Model S, w/o knowing what the latter includes?

cwerdna said:
So, was there ever a final answer on the base price of a Model X? Or, is it still the vague $5k or whatever above a "comparably equipped" Model S, w/o knowing what the latter includes?

No mention yet.
However the $5k above a similarly equipped S gives a pretty close estimate. The only question is, what battery sizes will be offered?

We should find out pretty soon as all the Signatures have now been asked to configure theirs.
So the next batch of configurations should have access to the base model.

I liked the "bio-weapon defense" setting;)

I'm not a big fan of SUV/CUVs. I don't see this type of vehicle as being needed for pretty much anything.
Lots of people do though, so any SUV drivers we can get into electrics the better.
And, since my wife likes the small SUV form factor, we willl likely be getting one.

cwerdna said:
AFAIK, no.

But there was an indication that a 70 kWh X (presumably, the base version) will be available...eventually:

...During the presentation, no mention of any other trim levels were brought up (70D?), but the CEO did mention that the 70D had “quite high performance” and would be capable of hitting 60 mph in about 4.8 seconds, while the P90D would take just 3.2 seconds...
Also mentioned (in the understatement of the article) is that:

"...The Model X P90D weighs in at 5,441 lbs, so it isn’t all that light..."
http://insideevs.com/tesla-officially-launches-model-x-first-delivery-ceremony/

So, it looks like every Tesla X is a cinch to meet the (6,000 lb. GVW) Section 179 Deduction, currently $25,000 for the 2015 tax year.

Zythryn said:
I liked the "bio-weapon defense" setting;)
I'm not a big fan of SUV/CUVs. I don't see this type of vehicle as being needed for pretty much anything.
Lots of people do though, so any SUV drivers we can get into electrics the better.
And, since my wife likes the small SUV form factor, we willl likely be getting one.
I think the "interior air as clean as an operating room" is an interesting angle. That, plus the sealed off nose work together and puts some space between the X and the massive "dirt-devil" nose cones all other vehicles seem to be heading toward.
"Pollution-free, inside and out" may become the subtext for lots of sales among the California coastal demographic that now put their young families in Audis and BMWs.

0.24 drag coeff for an SUV is pretty damn remarkable too.

Although I am planning for the Model 3 to be our next EV purchase, the X looks better than a "bloated Model S" to me. More importantly for EVs in general, I think Tesla's design chops are still intact, even if some stuff doesn't suit me. I think this will be another vehicle other car makers have to react to instead of something they can dismiss.

I want Tesla to thrive so other car makers get the message. IMHO, If they execute on deliveries and quality, this design has enough "cool" to carry them to the 3.

I've got something else to criticize - Elon Musk was laughable in the video, trying to squeeze himself past the second row seating to get to the third row. Clearly they haven't made the second row move far enough forward to allow easy access to the third row seats. Unless it's only kidlings and "little people" you're expected to have back there.

Isn't describing that car as an SUV an overstatement? Does it somehow get that status with an extra row of seats that drop down? SUVs are not my thing, but I wonder how many people that want SUVs would think it meets their needs. Also the doors seem an affectation. People that drive SUVs are rush, rush, bam, bum, slap the kids in and tear off. Messing around with those doors would quickly get very old in a family situation.

mjblazin said:
Isn't describing that car as an SUV an overstatement? Does it somehow get that status with an extra row of seats that drop down? SUVs are not my thing, but I wonder how many people that want SUVs would think it meets their needs. Also the doors seem an affectation. People that drive SUVs are rush, rush, bam, bum, slap the kids in and tear off. Messing around with those doors would quickly get very old in a family situation.

As stated by EVNOW, most CUVs are typically called SUVs. Nobody makes that much of a distinction.
As for the time, it takes about the same time as other automatically closing/opening doors.
If it does indeed make it easier to get the kids buckled in, you are looking at a shorter time overall.

I assume Tesla must have slowed the doors down for the presentation then. I know I could have opened and shut a lot of doors in the time it took those two doors to open in the video. If they slowed the doors down to show that self adjusting feature, big whoop. That is the video everyone will see and could come away with wrong message.

Whatever you call the vehicle, it needs to have a lot of space. I did not see a vehicle that shouted space. Of course I am in Dallas. Here, if whatever you call it cannot handle the big loads, don't bother. I guess I was expecting something like the Mercedes SUV, but lower in profile.

mjblazin said:
I assume Tesla must have slowed the doors down for the presentation then. I know I could have opened and shut a lot of doors in the time it took those two doors to open in the video. If they slowed the doors down to show that self adjusting feature, big whoop. That is the video everyone will see and could come away with wrong message.

Whatever you call the vehicle, it needs to have a lot of space. I did not see a vehicle that shouted space. Of course I am in Dallas. Here, if whatever you call it cannot handle the big loads, don't bother. I guess I was expecting something like the Mercedes SUV, but lower in profile.

I don't believe they did, I'm not sure why you would assume that.
Have you seen other automatic doors and how quickly they close?

It is always faster to open and close doors manually. Manufacturers don't want fast closing automatic doors, so they are all slower.

This isn't a vehicle designed for big loads, never was. If you want to haul two tons of rock, get a pickup truck.

Firetruck41 said:
GRA said:
scottf200 said:
Ha! I doubt a calculator for trailer towing range, is a make or break, for people buying a six figure mini van.

A mini van I would love to have, mind you.
I wasn't suggesting that the calculator would be the make or break issue, it was the range while towing that would be. If you've just got to haul your horses or boat Y distance and you don't have a clue if the Model X can do that (or it definitely can't), then that's what will make or break it. Obviously, soccer moms hauling kids won't care about range while towing.

I was at the event and took a ride in a Model X that night. Still very impressed with the vehicle. I have until midnight to change any configuration option. This vehicle is the size (16.5) of a Ford Explorer. Getting 6 passenger configuration.

Depending on timing and completed built of both the Tesla Model X and Gen II Volt, I'm considering driving out of state to the place we bought the Volt and hauling it home on a trailer behind the Model X. Superchargers on that route are 125 miles apart. Somehow I doubt the timing will work but it was a thought.

Doors close fast if there are not objects in the way.

http://youtu.be/JqNwJQ_2A4Q

Also love the new windshield.

342138_81_41231_VJ6SAP3nl.jpg

Back