12V Battery Replacement - 2018 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shiloh4378

Our dealership just got in a 2018 Nissan leaf that has a 51r 12 volt battery in it.

It will probably need to be replaced within the next couple of months. We're thinking about upgrading the battery to one with higher cold cranking amps so that it can handle the needs of the vehicle for a longer period of time.

I was thinking about either putting in a 58r or a 35 in it. We also can do an AGM but generally those cost more than twice as much and frankly aren't worth the expense.

Anyone have any experiences with this at all? We have upgraded batteries on Honda CRVs that had the 51R with a 35. But I'm thinking that the 58r would be a better fit given the wiring and terminal placements on this vehicle.

You don't need more CCA, what you want is a battery than can tolerate not being at 100% SOC all the time, which AGM will usually fill that role without being as expensive as Lithium if you want the really long term solution. For the Leaf, you want a battery that can maintain capacity more than being about to CCA high power in cold weather.

Knightmb is correct. Think of an EV 12 volt battery as a power source that has to supply modest amounts of power for long times between top-ups, not as one that has to be able to start a high compression engine repeatedly, before getting fully recharged each time. An AGM or lithium (preferably LiFePo4, aka LFP or Lithium Iron) battery can handle this best.

"handling the needs for a longer period of time " .. "isnt worth the expense"
a battery that lasts longer will cost more than a flooded lead acid of course.
You dont need bigger .. you need better.
So, what is the upper limit of " the expense" your willing to go ???
Usually car dealers use the cheapest battery they can get to ' move the inventory off the lot'.

"handling the needs for a longer period of time " .. "isnt worth the expense"
a battery that lasts longer will cost more than a flooded lead acid of course.
You dont need bigger .. you need better.
So, what is the upper limit of " the expense" your willing to go ???
Usually car dealers use the cheapest battery they can get to ' move the inventory off the lot'.
And you base that on...what?

No. I am trying to UPGRADE the battery so that my customers don't experience an issue down the road.

working at an auto parts store, talking to repair shops and auto dealers, reading, studying...
You cant upgrade to a better battery at a lower price. That universe does'nt exist.
You didnt say what your willing to spend to upgrade, which is telling...

Which is telling of what? That you're all too willing to 'ass'ume?

I'm going to give it an AGM. Thanks very much for all those who responded and helped. All the best.

My Dealership suggested having a slow charge on the 12 volt battery for the winter (I live in Ontario Canada) I was thinking of hooking up to my 12 volt system from my solar system, with a quick connector.

Back