SF BayLEAFs Meeting April 2nd 10AM@Boardwalk Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glenn said:
WOW!

If I counted correctly, we had 32 folks at our BayLeaf get together this morning. And that's counting neither the several youngsters tagging along with moms and dads nor the obviously excited couple from Lafayette picking up their new red Leaf and trying to focus on what Nate(?) was telling them while we were all hovering around asking way too many questions. Quite a turnout!!!
That is terrific! I was hoping for 20+ and we blew right through that. It may be the biggest turnout yet for any regional LEAF Enthusiasts meeting. Unfortunately I forgot my camera but I did get some shots on my phone which I'll post in the next 24 hours (hopefully).

It was good seeing everyone and meeting the newcomers!

What a good meet n greet. Thanks gascant and Glenn for organizing it and thank to Brendan Dolan at Boardwalk for providing a spot for the meeting. Lots of good information.

MsLusty said:
It was a great event, and I even ran into two former cow-orkers I had no idea were on the forum :eek: Small world.
Sweet!
I got an extended ride in a LEAF from one of our members, for which I am grateful. It makes me more excited to get the car.

Gascant and Glenn, thanks for putting things together. You're going to love your cars. I'd be driving mine this morning, but my wife got it first.

DeaneG said:
Gascant and Glenn, thanks for putting things together. You're going to love your cars. I'd be driving mine this morning, but my wife got it first.

I echo DeaneG's comments. Thanks guys for gathering the BayLeafers together on Saturday. I wonder if there will be a priority list for who drives our LEAF, probably I will end up in second place. I guess I need to get the car before that becomes a problem.

I look forward to the next gathering and hopefully have something new to show.

Thanks Guys.

Here are some shots from yesterday's meeting. Apologies for the poor quality--in my rush to get out the door I left my camera home so used my phone instead:

img00007201104021106.jpg

LEAF Enthusiasts on the way to Boardwalk Nissan's Service Area for a Q&A on LEAF service

img00011201104021123.jpg

The crowd gathers for the Q&A with Nissan LEAF Service Technician Glen

img00015201104021150.jpg

Brendan and Glen fielding questions from the group

img00008201104021106.jpg

Brendan reassures anxious order-holders that their cars will get delivered

img00017201104021246.jpg

BayLEAFs debate the merits of the trunk organizer and the maximum size dog that can fit in the LEAF

Thanks to Brendan and the crew at Boardwalk Nissan for hosting (and feeding) us. As Glenn said, above, this was a huge turn out and we'll be looking forward to the next meeting, sometime in May.

Glenn said:
Ingineer made quite an impression with the modified EVSEs he brought along. I hope the EV world realizes the significance of his contribution. If these become commonplace commodities, as they no doubt should, we can say we were there at the inception.

Thanks Glenn! 2 Bayleafers were even able to walk away with new upgraded EVSE's after the meet!

I loved the meeting, but the "layout" could have been better. It was hard to get everyone together at once, so we ended up forming lots of small groups, and many people were left out of various conversations.

Also: I didn't figure out or see anywhere obvious we could charge, and parking was a bit of an issue with us possibly taking some of Boardwalk's customer parking.

Not that I'm complaining, but these are things we should consider when planning the next meeting.

There's a possibility we could use the location where the San Francisco EAA (SFEVA/GGEVA) meeting is held, which is at Luscious Garage in San Francisco. I know the owner, and we might be able to work something out. The EAA meeting is on the first saturday at 10am - 12pm every month. Maybe we could plan at least one meeting for 1pm on that same saturday, then those people that want to attend the EAA meeting (like me) can, and then simply stay later for the Leaf meeting? How does this sound?

I highly recommend all Leaf owners also become members of the EAA. There are many local chapters for the bay area; including SF, Silicon Valley, San Jose, North bay, and East bay.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I loved the meeting, but the "layout" could have been better. It was hard to get everyone together at once, so we ended up forming lots of small groups, and many people were left out of various conversations.

Also: I didn't figure out or see anywhere obvious we could charge, and parking was a bit of an issue with us possibly taking some of Boardwalk's customer parking.

Not that I'm complaining, but these are things we should consider when planning the next meeting.
-Phil
Thanks for your comments, Phil. I did notice how scattered things were with several small groups--Glenn and I made a point of circulating to try and talk with everyone, and hopefully we didn't miss anyone. I might have arrived early enough that parking wasn't a problem. Also the EVSE's weren't obvious but I heard they were back by the service area.
I think, only 2 meetings into this, we haven't yet hit our stride to find out what works well and what doesn't. So suggestions are very welcome at this point, especially for meeting venues. At work, we have a board room (in the East Bay) I'll look into whether that could be made available.

Everyone in the group should feel free to comment.

It was great to meet everyone at last, and thanks Glenn, Gascant and Brendon to make it possible. Can't wait to go to the next gathering.

On a separated note - on my way drive to Tahoe after the meeting I was wondering when I can power that trip use pure electrons ;)

Stellar turn-out! Nice to be able to see so many new faces. Excellent turn-out. Best yet, thanks to gascant and Glenn for their organizing the event and a special thanks to Boardwalk Nissan for hosting it and providing Noah's bagels with all the trimmings, orange juice and coffee!

I wish Phil had brought a few more converted EVSE L1's for people to buy :cool:

gasmiser1 said:
Stellar turn-out! Nice to be able to see so many new faces. Excellent turn-out. Best yet, thanks to gascant and Glenn for their organizing the event and a special thanks to Boardwalk Nissan for hosting it and providing Noah's bagels with all the trimmings, orange juice and coffee!

I wish Phil had brought a few more converted EVSE L1's for people to buy :cool:

As soon as we can, I will have more! =)

We are having supply issues, Maybe the problems in Japan affected Panasonic too?

-Phil

Thanks for Brendan, Gascant and Glenn for provide a place and food and setup such a nice meeting.

There is one J1772 L2 charge station at Southwest corner of Nissan sales building.

Ingineer said:
Also: I didn't figure out or see anywhere obvious we could charge,
-Phil

ht2 said:
Thanks for Brendan, Gascant and Glenn for provide a place and food and setup such a nice meeting.

There is one J1772 L2 charge station at Southwest corner of Nissan sales building.

Ingineer said:
Also: I didn't figure out or see anywhere obvious we could charge,
-Phil

We have four L2's. One outside of the sales floor, one outside the shop we met in, and two inside that shop. Sorry I forgot to point them out! :?

Nice to see and meet everyone! I look forward to doing it again. :mrgreen:

BrendanDolan said:
We have four L2's. One outside of the sales floor, one outside the shop we met in, and two inside that shop. Sorry I forgot to point them out! :?

Nice to see and meet everyone! I look forward to doing it again. :mrgreen:

Thanks Brendan! Outside of those, any other easy to access 120 or 240v outlets that won't block customer parking? (Keep in mind many of us have EVSE's with us!)

Thanks again for hosting!

-Phil

BrendanDolan said:
I'll have to walk around and check, as I'm sure there are a ton of 120V outlets around.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, all the 120 outlets would have to each be on a separate circuit for each car to charge up (since the Nissan L1 EVSE is 12 amps), correct?

gasmiser1 said:
BrendanDolan said:
I'll have to walk around and check, as I'm sure there are a ton of 120V outlets around.
Of course, all the 120 outlets would have to each be on a separate circuit for each car to charge up (since the Nissan L1 EVSE is 12 amps), correct?

Correct. And they should have little or no load on them at the time they are used for charging. A laptop computer or desk lamp would be OK, but multiple devices, coffee maker, coke machine etc. operating at the same time on the same circuit is guaranteed to pop the breaker. The breakers should be relatively easily accessible to dealer personnel in case on is accidentally tripped and other loads on the circuit should not be of a super critical nature.

A circuit breaker finder / 120V circuit tracer can be a useful tool to help identify which outlets are on the same circuit and which breaker controls them. I've got one I picked up at Home Depot. If you actually do this, it's a great idea to get a label maker and label each outlet with the panel name and breaker number for that outlet for future reference helping to avoid overloading that circuit and to make it easier to find the right breaker in case of a future breaker trip.

Much knowledge you have, says Yoda.

Danka

ElectricVehicle said:
gasmiser1 said:
BrendanDolan said:

Correct. And they should have little or no load on them at the time they are used for charging. A laptop computer or desk lamp would be OK, but multiple devices, coffee maker, coke machine etc. operating at the same time on the same circuit is guaranteed to pop the breaker. The breakers should be relatively easily accessible to dealer personnel in case on is accidentally tripped and other loads on the circuit should not be of a super critical nature.

A circuit breaker finder / 120V circuit tracer can be a useful tool to help identify which outlets are on the same circuit and which breaker controls them. I've got one I picked up at Home Depot. If you actually do this, it's a great idea to get a label maker and label each outlet with the panel name and breaker number for that outlet for future reference helping to avoid overloading that circuit and to make it easier to find the right breaker in case of a future breaker trip.

Back