Dealers Who Offer Public Charging (and those who don't)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple more to add to the list:

Corona Nissan in Corona, California (Riverside County)
Metro Nissan in Redlands, California (San Bernardino County)

I followed the above protocol and charged at both of those dealers last week. Those with whom I spoke were nothing but helpful and accommodating. I didn't remember to ask whether they allow after-hours charging, though. It appears that I was one of the very first LEAF owners to ask to charge at those dealerships (if not the first).

One more thing: Don't expect to just pull up, start charging, and walk away. Be prepared to share information about the car and perhaps offer test drives. Many dealership personnel have had only limited experience with the car. Remember that we are early adopters!

LEAFguy said:
A suggested protocol when charging your LEAF at a Nissan dealership:
I'd add leaving a phone number to this list. Nothing is more frustrating than NOT being able to contact someone when an odd situation comes up...like wanting to close the dealership, and having a car sitting there and no way to find the owner.

I know for a fact that this is not true for Miller. I was by there once around 10pm when they were closed, and both of their chargers had been purposely blocked by dealer cars on their lot so that they could not be accessed.

memills said:
VAN NUYS
MILLER NISSAN 5425 VAN NUYS BLVD VAN NUYS, CA 91401 Tel (818) 787-8400
chargers open 24/7

Thank you to Universal City Nissan, who allowed me to use their charger the other night. They have a double unit outside, in the front and a single unit inside the parking structure.
I was in need after tripping a breaker at a work location and then finding that a ChargePoint location didn't exist!

Yonker Nissan of Renton, WA open to the public during business hours. 3 Level 2 charging stations. They have a 4th one but is in the shop area and not open to the public.

I see that Weseloh Nissan in San Juan Capistrano is already on the list; but I just want to add a KUDO for them. This morning, I stopped by there enroute from SAN to the Los Angeles area, and I had to add a couple hrs of juice. They are just off I-5, very convenient. They have two charging docks, with apparent 24hr access. I stopped inside and introduced myself. They were most cordial, offered me a cup of coffee, and said to come back any time. They did have one Leaf, for demo only, but no "orphans" presently for sale.

One more to add to the list:

West Covina Nissan in West Covina, California (Los Angeles County)
205 North Citrus Street
West Covina, CA 91791-1617
(626) 732-1000
Just off of 10 Freeway & Citrus in West Covina

They have two chargers in their main lot, but both were occupied by gigantic SUVs. I called and spoke to their Leaf salesperson (Marco) who was very accommodating. He suggested I bring the car to the service area and I could charge there. I brought the car in, the service personnel were happy to take the car to the charger in the rear service area and charged it for me while I got lunch across the street. The service personnel said they will look into moving the SUVs so that the front chargers are accessible. I am not sure if that will happen however. I intend to charge at their facility on a semi-frequent basis for the next two weeks and no one seemed to have a problem with this when I mentioned this to them.

I suppose the lead post in this forum needs to be updated when possible to reflect this new information.

Need to go somewhere further today from south bay of Los Angeles, CA, to about 55miles east of LA.

Just called this dealership of Puente Hills Nissan, in Rowland Heights, CA.
They just straight out denied NO public charging.
Fine with me, at least they are up front, and they are the one who are paying the electricity and is totally up to them.

I will drive slower today... hehehe....

if absolutely needed, I will stop by the AQMD station:
21865 E. Copley Dr.
Diamond Bar, California, 91765.

Bakersfield Nissan, Lithia Nissan of Fresno, and Visalia Nissan all offer public charging. South County Nissan-Hyundai in Gilroy also does. I've charged at all these dealerships. Fellow Leafers have told me how Bakersfield Nissan has been very supportive and eager to provide this service, and happy to welcome them when they stop to charge.

You haven't listed Contra Costa County (east SF bay) in any CA group, but I charged twice overnight at Antioch Nissan in that county. I had called ahead to be sure it was OK, but they didn't know what day I was coming. One night I arrived after they closed, but there was no barrier getting into the lot. One station was completely open, the other partly blocked, but usable from an adjacent parking space. Big plus for me: It was only a block from Antioch Days Inn.

Ray

West Covina Nissan should be added to the list of those allowing public charging:

On my way back I immediately saw that I was still short on charge, so stopped at West Covina Nissan for an hour of L2 charging. Both of the L2 chargers had ICE vehicles in them (the vehicles were for sale), but they were very nice and immediately moved one of the vehicles for me and said "Charge away."

Stay away from Oxnard Nissan..

They are very rude and might lock your car on the Lot..
We called ahead and made sure it was ok.. They said yea sure.. WE close at 8pm so as long as your gone before we close its fine.. We drove to Oxnard, parked on the Lot at 5:30.. and a Salesman came out and told us they were about to close and we would need to move our car. I explained that we came from Santa Barbara and called a head.. He said oh yea.. But were closing early today so you have to leave!..

So just because they tell you you can use the EVSE at the LOT they may not tell you they will close when they feel the urge and lock your car on the Lot. :( .

Kansas:

McCarthy Nissan (Olathe): Only during business hours, plugs are in back behind a locked gate (this is where I bought)
http://www.mccarthynissan.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hendrick Nissan (Overland Park): Only during business hours, plug is out front but behind a locked gate
http://www.hendricknissan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Briggs Nissan (Manhattan): Call before driving to ensure they don't turn off the breaker after hours. But just up the street is a Westar public charger so no big deal if you can't at dealer. Very friendly dealer.
http://www.briggsnissan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I live in Charlotte, NC and all of the Nissan Dealerships say they have these charging stations however they seem to put them in the back of the dealership where no clients can ever reach them after purchasing the Leaf. Also guess what, if the same dealership is closed you are out of luck because the chain linked fence is locked and you can only glance at this charging station.

Side note: Whole Foods in Charlotte now has them at each location, and you can also find the stations by using this Alternative Fuels Data website and search by zip code. It seems to get your Gov rebate you will send the physical address to them and a certificate of installation of the charging station which most likely then gets fed into a global search on the gov web search results for businesses seen below.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/electricity_locations.html

Hope this helps everyone.
http://www.asianleopard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been able to charge at Nissan of Mission Hills, 11000 Sepulveda Bl, Mission Hills, CA. It's in the triangle formed the by the 5, 405, and 118 Freeways. In another thread they are mentioned as to be getting L3 charging soon.

unfortunately, I live in oklahoma where the charging stations are few and far between. Citywide there are 4 charging possibilities. 3 Nissan dships and a local grocer. I used the grocery station with no probs. The dealerships have been a bit of a let down. They placed the chargers in spots that are always occupied by ice cars. I limped my car to a local ds with hopes of getting a bar or two. No go, as the chargers were blocked by other cars. you would think the ds would welcome the cars coming in for a charge as potential Leaf pilots would see that charging in emergency situations were possible. I Really wish they would dedicate a spot like the grocery store did for ev's. I realize I am not entitled to anything from the dship, but the sales people should not include that as a selling point if it's never available as non ev cars are clogging up the parking lot.

Back