Leaf won't operate. Warning - Service EV System, Warning - Service EV System Unable to restart after power off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If testing the isolation at the center disconnect on the HV battery shows no issue, can there still be another possible isolation problem? My 2022 leaf keeps throwing the same start inhibition and HV battery isolation codes (P31E7 and P0AA6 EVC157) every time I charge my car and it reaches 86%. The EV Service warning message only comes on at that point, otherwise I can drive and charge my car normally once I clear the codes with my leafspy. I won't get the errors until I charge my car again and it hits 86%. My husband tested the voltage at that back seat access point and found no isolation issue, the voltage reading dropped steadily as normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we live in The Bahamas and there is no Nissan EV service available.
That would suggest that you do indeed have a real issue. Somewhere in the battery pack, thermal expansion during charging is touching the outside of the shell. The best way to test this and be certain; have everything ready to measure the isolation voltage the moment it charges to 86% and the error occurs. Then you will be about to see if a voltage is remaining after the capacitance is slowly leached away by the measuring equipment while the battery is still warm.

*imagines the ending of the movie “Nosfreratu” The silent one. Then imagines the movie “Cars”*

You’ve got to set a trap and catch it in the light.

Last edited:
Yay, this is happening to our 2018 Leaf now. Just over 100k miles, too (around 100,200). The message came up this morning right after leaving the house and we turned around and went home, tried to restart it and it's not really starting. I did replace the 12v battery in January (several months ago), so that should be good. That was around the same time the charging cable that came with the car stopped working and I replaced it with another one (could the new cable be doing something?). I'm in socal and have generally only charged to 80-90%, although last night I did let it charge to 100% because we were going to drive more today. Haven't pulled codes yet. I don't have a Bluetooth reader so can't use leafspy. Will any dtc reader work? (We're out for the day so haven't gotten back home to try more yet, but thought I'd post here for any other ideas while I'm waiting)

I made an appointment with the dealer already and assuming I'll need to tow it in Tuesday morning. Bummed, we were just talking about how reliable our Leaf has been!

Back