[PHASED-OUT]: Tracking the $5k California CVRP Fund

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KTLA locally just ran basically the same story. Of course, the only car they showed footage of was the Volt, which doesn't even qualify for the rebate. :?

More interestingly....it appears their entertainment reporter, Sam Rubin, is down for a LEAF. I don't know what his delivery date is, but he apparently just had his EVSE evaluation. :)

Well lots have asked how long the money will last. I am surprized that it will last as long as said. I ordered Sept 29 and the article actually gave some hope to me as opposed to FUD. It will run out there is no FUD about that.

smkettner said:
It will run out there is no FUD about that.

It will only run out if it's no longer funded. Right now it's funded as a sub-program of CARB, and I only see it getting cut if CARB funding is cut. I have some data I can post later about how and where they get the money....but not now.

Well you are right and if CA can pass a budget on time for next year I believe that money would come in on July 1 so there would be little to no wait. Hopefully additional funding (more than 5m) is made as the production and sales ramp up. With the budget crunch I can see CA did not want to put any more money in the kitty until it was actually needed. Sales during the first half of 2011 will also aid CA to know how much to put in.

The article may also be posturing to begin the lobby for the additional money.

OK, here is that data I promised.....

The CVP is funded as part of the Air Quality Improvement Program, one of several schemes that are funded by CARB to the tune of $42.3m. Other programs receiving a share of this same money are the HVIP, LGER, AUTV, and Demo Projects ones.

The $42.3m CARB receives is a part of $192.3m annually allocated under AB118 in 2007. The legislation provides for these amounts through 2015, though it is up to CARB to allocate them to it's various programs.

The money in AB 118 is generated through an number of things - a small dollar amount from each vehicle registration, along with money generated from fines related to air quality and BAR infractions. So unlikely to dry up, so long as the legislation is in place.

However, if there are any mid-year shortfalls because the number of eligible vehicles being purchased outweighs the amount of funding available....a "first come, first served" wait-list will be generated for when future funding becomes available.

Conversely, any left over prior-year funds roll-over into the current year, as we will see this year with the ~$3m left over that will carry over to the $5m in 2011 funding, to make a total of ~$8m. Or enough currently for 1600 vehicles at the $5k level, most of which are likely to be LEAFs.

Good summary, Mike. One more clarification is that normally these allocations are by fiscal year, and the California fiscal year begins in July. For the past several years the legislature has fought over budgets until well past the time the new budget was supposed to go into effect. So the budget for the fiscal year that started six months ago was not approved until October, and the "new" $5M for CVRP came indirectly out of that budget, through CARB. The next addition should be next July, and there ought to be a better chance of getting a budget on time next year due to Proposition 25 that we approved in November. That changed the state constitution to say that only a majority vote, rather than a two thirds vote, is required in the legislature to approve the budget.

I have a January order date (with delivery 4-7 months after that). I probably won't go through with the purchase if I can't get the California $5k credit. Does one's $100 deposit become non-refundable after you order? Or can I back out after I order in January, if it becomes clear that I won't get the credit (ie, the money runs out and credit doesn't get extended by next year's budget)?

ybitz said:
I have a January order date (with delivery 4-7 months after that). I probably won't go through with the purchase if I can't get the California $5k credit. Does one's $100 deposit become non-refundable after you order? Or can I back out after I order in January, if it becomes clear that I won't get the credit (ie, the money runs out and credit doesn't get extended by next year's budget)?
The $100 is always refundable. Even if your ordered car is at the dealer and you decide to pass just before you sign papers.

mwalsh laid it out pretty good that the fund will recieve additional money in the next budget year based upon an existing law for clean air programs.

I applied for the rebate last night and received an email saying they will review the application and contact me within 2-3 business days.

How does the rebate work for leased vehicles - it appears that you still get to claim the rebate?

I just applied tonight, so the fund should have slipped another $5K...Same message as omkar, they'll review the application and get back to me within 2-3 days...Very exciting....

Randy

Small update.. I received an email today saying that $5,000 has been reserved for me and that (within the next 14 days) I need to mail in the signed application (which was a PDF attachment in the email) along with the following supporting information:
  • Proof (such as a copy) of temporary or permanent registration of the vehicle listed above.
  • A copy of the sales or lease contract signed by all parties with an itemization of credits, discounts and incentives received, if applicable.
  • For individuals, a copy of a utility or cable bill from within the last 3 months or other valid form of California residency. Other forms of valid proof include a signed, dated, and notarized rental agreement or a copy of a current DMV registration. A California driver license is not an acceptable proof of residency.

I got it all together and mailed it out today. Will report in when I hear back from them next.

The Rebate status should be a pretty accurate way to track California Leaf Deliveries against Forum (spreadsheet) participation.

It's not likely that any Leaf deliver in CA opts out of the Rebate, right? At this point, Tesla rebates have probably slowed a bit, and it's safe to guess that all $5k hits from here out are most likely Leaf deliveries. Does this seem reasonable?

omkar said:
Small update.. I received an email today saying that $5,000 has been reserved for me and that (within the next 14 days) I need to mail in the signed application (which was a PDF attachment in the email) along with the following supporting information:
  • Proof (such as a copy) of temporary or permanent registration of the vehicle listed above.
  • A copy of the sales or lease contract signed by all parties with an itemization of credits, discounts and incentives received, if applicable.
  • For individuals, a copy of a utility or cable bill from within the last 3 months or other valid form of California residency. Other forms of valid proof include a signed, dated, and notarized rental agreement or a copy of a current DMV registration. A California driver license is not an acceptable proof of residency.

I got it all together and mailed it out today. Will report in when I hear back from them next.

omkar -

Did you have to go back to the dealer to get them to sign the PDF form?

If so - and if the original form doesn't have any information specific to you - any chance you can post the document somewhere? It seems like it would be a lot easier to get the dealer to sign that at the time of purchase, rather then have to make a trip back (especially for those of use who are a long distance from our PD). Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back