[PHASED-OUT]: Tracking the $5k California CVRP Fund

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GroundLoop said:
The Rebate status should be a pretty accurate way to track California Leaf Deliveries against Forum (spreadsheet) participation.

It's not likely that any Leaf deliver in CA opts out of the Rebate, right? At this point, Tesla rebates have probably slowed a bit, and it's safe to guess that all $5k hits from here out are most likely Leaf deliveries. Does this seem reasonable?
What about the Honda FCX Clarity? Aren't they still leasing?

LakeLeaf said:
omkar -

Did you have to go back to the dealer to get them to sign the PDF form?

If so - and if the original form doesn't have any information specific to you - any chance you can post the document somewhere? It seems like it would be a lot easier to get the dealer to sign that at the time of purchase, rather then have to make a trip back (especially for those of use who are a long distance from our PD). Thanks.

No, the PDF form does not need to be signed by the dealer. The PDF is the application form for the rebate and it is pre-filled with the information you entered on the CVRP site (name, address, VIN, dealer info, etc).

I phoned the 1-877-NO GAS EV hotline today to see if I could get any idea from them on how many CA orders there currently are and the response was "we don't have that information".

I said (and the spokesperson agreed) that certainly Nissan has the information, but is not providing it, probably for a number of reasons. However when I threw out the magic 1600 number of possible CA orders he said "without a doubt."

Which leads me to this. If there ARE at least 1600 CA orders and the spreadsheet currently shows 170 total, then there's less than 10% of the CA buyers reflected here? Seems like such a small representation. And more importantly, all of the allocated funding (3M remaining + 5M) is most likely exhausted.

These rebates are smelling like publicity scams. The number of people who will benefit is so infitessimally small and the vast majority of leaf reservation holders will never see a dime. The real benefit to the state is momentum; like a lottery, all you need is good publicity of a few winners and you get a flood of fresh suckers.

Th fund is 20% subscribed with a handful of verified leaf owners in this state. I smell a rat and I am getting increasingly discouraged....

marc said:
These rebates are smelling like publicity scams. The number of people who will benefit is so infitessimally small and the vast majority of leaf reservation holders will never see a dime. The real benefit to the state is momentum; like a lottery, all you need is good publicity of a few winners and you get a flood of fresh suckers.

Th fund is 20% subscribed with a handful of verified leaf owners in this state. I smell a rat and I am getting increasingly discouraged....

It's not a rat... it's a limited amount of money that was allocated for the rebate. As you know, most governments in this country are in debt. Everybody is cutting back on all non-essential programs. I'm just happy the rebate exists. I suggest you write to your legislator and ask them to spend more money on these rebates and hopefully they will extend them.

-Peter

marc said:

If you've been watching the fund, it sat at about 14% used all year last year, BEFORE any LEAFs were delivered. That is because it is not a LEAF fund, it is a clean vehicle fund. Some of the money went to Tesla owners, there were a few Honda fuel cell hydrogen cars, and if you look at the vehicle list, there are some others as well. Since the recent LEAF deliveries, it has gone from 14% to 19% used.

Remember also, there is an additional $5 million that has been approved for the fund, so the percentage used is more like 7 or 8% of the total. I haven't heard from the Center as to why they haven't added the additional $5 million to the status page.

I'm frustrated as well by the lack of delivery timing information from Nissan, but I'm not frustrated at the CVRP. Maybe a valid criticism would be that the size of each rebate could have been smaller to allow twice as many buyers to benefit. But now that they've made it $5k each, it should stay that way.

Boomer23 said:
If you've been watching the fund, it sat at about 14% used all year last year, BEFORE any LEAFs were delivered. That is because it is not a LEAF fund, it is a clean vehicle fund. Some of the money went to Tesla owners, there were a few Honda fuel cell hydrogen cars, and if you look at the vehicle list, there are some others as well. Since the recent LEAF deliveries, it has gone from 14% to 19% used.

Remember also, there is an additional $5 million that has been approved for the fund, so the percentage used is more like 7 or 8% of the total. I haven't heard from the Center as to why they haven't added the additional $5 million to the status page.
Maybe some bureaucrat is looking at 19% used in nearly a year and thinking there is no reason to add any more money to the pool. "Certainly not for Nissan; they're selling, what? Ten cars a month, I heard." He's thinking, 'Since it's been approved, we can allocate it if we need it. If we don't, we can save a lot of of paperwork by never putting it on our books.'

marc said:
I smell a rat and I am getting increasingly discouraged....
As long as it is primarily going to consumers I am happy and will let the chips fall as they may.
Now if I hear a rental company gets 1000 Leafs and cleans out the pot then I will call it a big fat rat.

The good news is that once you get your car, the application process is really fast and easy. Filled it out yesterday evening. Got a personal email this morning saying my $5k has been reserved.

Another update.. I got an email saying that they received my mailed-in application and have approved it.

CRVP Program now at 20% gone, but that does NOT include the additional $5 million that is slated to come from the next round of budgets for the state.

I dropped off my LEAF rebate materials to Kyle today at CCSE in San Diego since I work nearby...Kyle is a nice guy and will take care of us during the rebate process...

I asked about the turnaround time and said, "30 days"? and Kyle said it's been running a bit faster than that. He said he's received about 15 rebate reservations so far for the LEAF...

Thanks, Kyle and CCSE!

Randy

Believe it or not, I actually walked the distance between the two or three buildings...It would have taken 3 stop lights in each direction for a short distance....

But I hear ya!!! Showin' off the LEAF!!!!! That would be this Saturday at the breakfast....

Kyle is awesome. He has been very responsive by email. I'm one of those 15 reservations. Sending my papers in this morning!

I wonder if Gudy got his rebate yet? Hello.... Gudy. Step away from the LEAF and check your mailbox please!

WOW! Just checked and it's jumped to 36% depleted. That's equivalent to ~100 LEAF's since yesterday. I sure hope Hertz did not get a shipment of 100 cars an claim the credit on them.

How sad is it that rental car agencies get business subsidies on their Leafs. Good strategy.

36% allocated.

That's a HUGE jump. The writing is on the wall, folks. Here is what we know:

1) There is a long list of VIP leaf recipients receiving leafs - they get the tax credit first.
2) The 4-7 month ARO is probably ACCURATE - Nissan has confirmed.
3) The state has been in deep trouble financially. Likelihood of re-funding is nil, imo (special interest group that doesn't donate to a political campaign? :).

So: The only people who have a chance at the CVRP will be VIP and people that reserved very early ON APRIL 20 (and ordered by Sep1).
Everyone else will be SOL.

Feels like a page out of the local dealer's playbook: advertise a good price for a car, but keep only one in stock at that price?

I'm shopping for TDIs as I type...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back