Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make your own kit for less than half that with parts available at home depot and it would be perfectly safe and it could work on other outlets and no inspector (if you use one) would ever know the difference unless he has seen one before. If you install the outlet on you own at a private residence I don't see the need for inspection, it's no different than a standard outlet and I'm not paying $235 to have an outlet inspected, that's an insane permit fee.

It's just that nifty wall mounting plate I'm after in the kit. For $200 I'm sure I could come up with something else.

garygid said:
What is in the "kit" other than a mounting plate (easy enough to do without) and a socket (easy to buy)?

A weatherproof box/cover for the L6-20 outlet (or the L6-30 or the L6-50 depending on the model), and the ever important "mounting template" piece of paper, no doubt :)

Leviton will likely have these made in China, very likely the factory that is used will run a "ghost" shift and the mounting brackets will mysteriously start showing up on eBay, from chinese sellers. Happens all of the time for popular items.

Am I missing something? What's this about a Level 1 charger. Isn't the charger in the Leaf? I thought all you needed in the garage for Level 1 charging was a standard GFI 30A plug, possibly on a dedicated circuit. Is there a separate L1 EVSE required?

Rat said:
Am I missing something? What's this about a Level 1 charger. Isn't the charger in the Leaf? I thought all you needed in the garage for Level 1 charging was a standard GFI 30A plug, possibly on a dedicated circuit. Is there a separate L1 EVSE required?

You still need to connect the standard GFI 30A plug to the car .... Leaf comes with a L1 EVSE as a standard, BTW.

Rat said:
Yes, and it is supplied by Nissan with the delivery of the car from everything we've heard so far. And the receptacle you need is really only NEMA 5-15 on a dedicated 20A circuit. I'd go with a NEMA 5-20 receptacle, though. I've not heard that it has to be GFI from Nissan, but by code, depending on location, it probably needs to be.

J1772 Jan 2010 shows a GFI function inside the EVSE for both Level 1 and Level 2.

One may be required to have a garage outlet on a GFI to meet local code, but it'll likely result in two GFI protected devices in series.

The Level 1 (120 volt) EVSE included by Nissan with the LEAF will probably only provide 12 amps to the LEAF, so that it can be used on any standard household plug, on either a 15-amp (or 20-amp) breaker. Of course, if there are too many other ON loads (lights, toasters, drills, saws, etc.) on the circuit while the charging is in progress, the breaker might trip. For this reason, a "dedicated" circuit is recommended, but not required.

The EVSE is a "safety" extension cord, not a "charger", but the EVSEs are often called "chargers" by those who do not know better. A "charging-station" is a more suitable name for a permanently-mounted EVSE.

The "portable" EVSE might be called a "charging safety cord", or some similar name.

A Level 3 "Quick-Charging Station" is more than just a "safety" cord. It includes the power-supply part of the High-Voltage DC charger. The "Control" part of the Level 3 charger is in the car.

Great clarificaton by Gary ! Thanks for that. And, yes, sorry about the "dedicated" part; it's only a recommendation. But think of how you would feel when the son comes home late at night, flips a few light switches, or operates the garage door opener, tripping the L1 EVSE, and you find yourself with an "empty" LEAF come morning as you're about to get in the car to go to work :oops:

Yes, far better to be thank-ful that your LEAF has a tank-full.

Charge Interruption Detection:
That is one of the primary reasons that the LEAF (apparently) can "call" your cell phone if charging gets interrupted!

Leviton plans to make their EVSE available around November. That's like, nearly three months. I'll try to be patient....

I received this email a bit ago...a week ot two

Gavin,

Product will begin to hit the market towards the end of the year.  I have placed you on a list to receive periodic updates on the Evrgreen product line.

The Evrgreen Team

Doesn't say November, but I imagine that is about right 

Gavin

Gavin said:
I received this email a bit ago...a week ot two

Gavin,

Product will begin to hit the market towards the end of the year.  I have placed you on a list to receive periodic updates on the Evrgreen product line.

The Evrgreen Team

Doesn't say November, but I imagine that is about right 

Gavin

I imagine my LEaf will be here in October:)

Ha...

Building a car and building an evse...I think leviton can make an evse a bit faster...

So long as they have them in dec or Jan I will be happy...heck, my daily commute is 20 miles total, so I'm actually fine with 120 v wall charging

Gavin

Gavin said:
So long as they have them in dec or Jan I will be happy...heck, my daily commute is 20 miles total, so I'm actually fine with 120 v wall charging

My daily commute is 11 miles. I could recharge once a week :twisted:

ps : I usually end up driving more daily though ...

Yes...my actual drive to work is 5 miles (6 on bike)... So mine would be 10 miles for work only, but I usually make a detour or two...store, food, beer, friends, beer...so about 20 miles a day :)

Gavin

I called Leviton Wednesday, waited 10 minutes, left my number for a callback and never heard from them. Guess they don't give a damn about customers either.

Back