Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the official word from Leviton by posting to their "knowledge base" forum:

There will not be a 24 amp level 2 charger offered, they will be available in only 16 and 32 amp only.

Looks like I'll be making a plug adapter or buying a new 20A breaker and 14-20R receptacle, and buying the 3.3kW EVSE. I'll mess with a higher-power ($$$) setup once I have a car that can take advantage of it - costs should be lower later.

Too bad, the 14-30R receptacle I just swapped into the dryer outlet was a thing of beauty.

smkettner said:
Are these EVSEs really going to limit power? At most I would think they would communicate to the vehicle charger to limit the power.

The EVSE communicates to the car how much power the car is authorized to draw.

DeaneG said:
Too bad, the 14-30R receptacle I just swapped into the dryer outlet was a thing of beauty.
Aren't the Levition EVSEs using 6-20R and 6-50R, not 14-20R and 14-50R? It doesn't require a neutral, it is 240V only.

Cheers, Wayne

Somebody (Home Depot?) sells adapters?
Or, are you saying that you will buy the parts and make your own adapters?

Are most of these sockets available in in-line style?

Are the plugs available in in-line and right-angle types?

They sell wire and both ends, yes? If not Google will find it.
Otherwise I may replace the whole pigtail. Although that will probably void the warranty opening the box.

Snip the extension cord off to length

Major-Appliance-Extension-Cord-3AY47_AS01.JPG

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PO...l-_-Extension Cords and Outlet Strips-_-3AY47

6-20R Replacement end:
http://texas-tool-traders.amazonweb...froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Better google search "nema 6-20r connector":
http://www.google.com/products?q=nema+6-20r+connector&aq=f

Why does everyone have such a tough time understanding you can make almost any plug adaptor or config you like with parts form home depot or any electrical supply place. There is nothing difficult and these are VERY standard parts. IMO if you are not buying at least a 32A leviton EVSE then why bother, just use the Nissan cord. If you get the 32A model just buy the correct nema outlet and swap it with yours and be done. You can also cut the leviton plug off and use a 50A female locking plug and make a pigtail for the house outlet that can be swapped for other plugs while traveling.

If you have two 110 outlets in the garage, and they happen to be on on opposite phases, you could make a two-headed cord adapter to get 220 without doing any home electrical work.

Just sayin'.. not that it would pass code or anything, but I've done it for 220 in a pinch.

GroundLoop said:
If you have two 110 outlets in the garage, and they happen to be on on opposite phases, you could make a two-headed cord adapter to get 220 without doing any home electrical work.

Just sayin'.. not that it would pass code or anything, but I've done it for 220 in a pinch.

I have charged like that often but I don't recommend it to the inexperienced.

EVDRIVER said:
IMO if you are not buying at least a 32A leviton EVSE then why bother, just use the Nissan cord. If you get the 32A model just buy the correct nema outlet and swap it with yours and be done.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding? (a) 8 hour charging at 220V/16A is better than 20 hours at 120V/12A, and (b) plugging a 32A EVSE into an outlet supplied by a 30A breaker may not work very well, depending on ambient temp, etc.

Even with (b), the LEAF still only draws 15 (or 16) amps.
So, NOT a great idea, but SHOULD work OK, right.

Better to get an EVSE that can be "set" to 12, 16, 24, or 32 amps, depending upon the circuit it is connected to. For example, the Blink EVSE has 3 settings, I believe.

Does anyone know what month the Leviton L2 home charger will be available???? I would like to purchase a home charger before I get my LEAF in December! I ordered my LEAF on September 1st and I am pretty confident I will get it by the end of this year. Any information on availability of any home chargers would be appreciated!
Thank you!

JPC2822 said:
Does anyone know what month the Leviton L2 home charger will be available???? I would like to purchase a home charger before I get my LEAF in December! I ordered my LEAF on September 1st and I am pretty confident I will get it by the end of this year. Any information on availability of any home chargers would be appreciated!
Thank you!
According to an email from Leviton on Aug 30 in reply to some questions I had, they told me it would be available around November. So it should be for sale just in the nick of time. :)

garygid said:
Hopefully, the wall-mount plate will be inexpensive to purchase, so the EVSE could "more properly" be used in several locations.

The web site
http://www.evrgreenchargers.com
seems to want you to sign up for an assessment, rather than sell you the mounting kit separately.

One might want one EVSE and several mounting kits (or at least mounting plates).

I have a nagging suspicion that if they are driving to your house at least twice (assessment and install) and they are going to follow-up to make sure you are satisfied that this is not priced like a component on the shelf at Home Depot.

Just a hunch.

I am just glad that Leviton is going to protect us from the scary AC current that I have been working with for 30 years without incident.

if you go to the leviton evse sight they now have product bulletins posted in pdf format for the install kits . If someone looks that can post it here I didnt have time

shows some additional info on the evse and "self install kit!!!!!!!

kmp647 said:
if you go to the leviton evse sight they now have product bulletins posted in pdf format for the install kits . If someone looks that can post it here I didnt have time

shows some additional info on the evse and "self install kit!!!!!!!
Here's the link

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=33338&minisite=10091

Back