Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
Entirely possible that their office isn't supplying 240v (not 220v as the reviewer indicates) at all, but is instead providing 208v from a 3-phase supply. That would account for recharge times that are longer than expected.

If that is the case (208v instead of 240v) it is a simple matter to install a buck/boost transformer (go for a 0.5kva 16/32v) so you can boost the 208v to 240v. That will allow your car to pull full power. You can buy these transformers for about $50 on ebay. (example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261148804483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Phil H.

Thank everyone for the info pertaining to the bad Leviton 160 review on Amazon. I received my unit today and installed it. Tonight I performed my first charge with it, and it worked perfectly. I am so happy I have L2 charging capability. For me, living in a rural area, it is a must. I picked up my Leaf 3 days ago, and I could tell that a trickle charge was not going to work for me with 12+ hour charge times.

Thanks again.

OldMike said:
Thank everyone for the info pertaining to the bad Leviton 160 review on Amazon. I received my unit today and installed it. Tonight I performed my first charge with it, and it worked perfectly. I am so happy I have L2 charging capability. For me, living in a rural area, it is a must. I picked up my Leaf 3 days ago, and I could tell that a trickle charge was not going to work for me with 12+ hour charge times.

Thanks again.

I saw the few negative reviews on the 16A Leviton160... People dont understand, when it comes to the 2011-2012 LEAF's (only ones out on the road right now) anything over 16A's and claims to charge at a faster rate thenn 3.3kWh is a waste. Now keep in mind that this is not preparing for the future with other cars ability to charge at a faster rate, however the 16Amp L2 units are dropping in price and still have the same opportunity to charge at full rate and capacity as a Blink/AV/Clipper Creek with a higher Amperage.

I laughed when the guy said his other higher Amperage EVSE charged the LEAF faster than the Leviton160. Person must have either had the install on a wrong overloaded circuit (leaving less than 16amps) or plugged it into a 110...somehow.

As soon as I see the Leviton160 drop a little more, I will make this into a portable EVSE to lug around in the trunk vs the supplied Panasonic L1 EVSE.

Congrats on the LEAF!

mazdaboi said:
As soon as I see the Leviton160 drop a little more, I will make this into a portable EVSE to lug around in the trunk vs the supplied Panasonic L1 EVSE.
You may have your reasons but IMO far better to just do the L2 16a upgrade on the panasonic L1.

smkettner said:
mazdaboi said:
You may have your reasons but IMO far better to just do the L2 16a upgrade on the panasonic L1.

Was thinking about that as well..... Im a LEASEE, and dont want to upgrade then let somone else benefit from my upgrade when i have to turn the EVSE and car back in. I know I could always just swap it with another Leafer....and that may be the route I take. Maybe Ill end up keeping the car....No idea yet.

Howdy -

Currently I use a Leviton Evr-Green 320 with the 25ft cord and love it - completely bullet proof design, works great - never had any issues. I've had it attached to my Leaf and friends' cars in rain, heat, ice, everything that Georgia weather can dish out. It is in a place in my garage where I can pull the cord under the door to charge a car inside or outside.

Yes, at 32A it was complete overkill for my old 2012 SL, but looking forward to using it with the 2013 SL. It is on a 50 amp circuit breaker with overkill gauge wire and run via a surface mount conduit so all the pieces can be upgraded at any point. I like to have extra capacity. Call it future proofing, but really - it seems that EVs are going to be on a upgrade cycle more like cell phones and laptop computers. Hence I am a leasee now, where I purchased my first Leaf.

Question if anyone has any experience - how is the Evr-Green 400? Looks like it uses the same mounting bracket/plug setup of my 320 and could just be a drop in replacement? I really like the new design, it looks much less like a piece of industrial no-frills equipment. The holster is kinda cool too... guessing you have to be spot on with coiling up cord tho.

Not looking to upgrade right away, but how is the market for used EVSE equipment? I have a friend considering a new Leaf... he may buy my old unit or I might sell it or use it as a trunk unit for road tripping since it has a plug. Thinking of mounting it in a Pelican case with a set of adapters. RV park, here I come!

Thanks!
V.

Hello! I'm new here, got my 2013 S with quick charge package 2 weeks ago!

Has anyone tried the Leviton 160 with the quick charge package? Will it give a full charge in the advertised 4 hours? Wondering if I need the 30A model to get the fastest charge time.

Thanks!

uneaqs said:
Hello! I'm new here, got my 2013 S with quick charge package 2 weeks ago!

Has anyone tried the Leviton 160 with the quick charge package? Will it give a full charge in the advertised 4 hours? Wondering if I need the 30A model to get the fastest charge time.

Thanks!

Yes, you need the 320 model (30A) for 4-hour charging, but that's not quick-charge. Quick is 25 minutes to 80%. That requires a CHAdeMO station which you will not have in your home.

TimeHorse: Just to defend 1st time poster uneaqs: he referred to using his 2013 S Leaf's "quick charge package" with a Leviton EVSE model, not to using a Leviton to "quick charge". Uneaqs, your "quick charge package" reference seems an apt one in that in addition to the faster on-board AC charger, it also comes with the DC "quick charge" functionality (as you knew).

Congratulations for making a wise (imho) choice! That's the model/package I would be getting (if I wasn't already leasing a 2011 SL).

MikeD said:
TimeHorse: Just to defend 1st time poster uneaqs: he referred to using his 2013 S Leaf's "quick charge package" with a Leviton EVSE model, not to using a Leviton to "quick charge". Uneaqs, your "quick charge package" reference seems an apt one in that in addition to the faster on-board AC charger, it also comes with the DC "quick charge" functionality (as you knew).

Congratulations for making a wise (imho) choice! That's the model/package I would be getting (if I wasn't already leasing a 2011 SL).

Not sure why I needed the disambiguation but no harm no foul. I was trying to just dispense some information. Peace! :)

Let's just say in my writing groups I ding writers for not putting enough commas in to keep concepts not intended to run together to run together.

But as for your 2K11 lease, go to your dealer; many are happy to allow a take back and sign a new lease with a 2013. One of my Capital LEAF friends is considering doing just that with an even younger 2012.

TimeHorse said:
Let's just say in my writing groups I ding writers for now putting enough commas in to keep concepts not intended to run together to run together.

Why would you ding writers for starting to put in enough commas?

Yeah, I meant the AC "quick charge" aka level 2. It all does get a little confusing with "quick" and "fast". Whats next, "turbo speed boost ultra charge"?

I ended up getting a Schneider EVlink 30A at home depot since it was the only EVSE I could find locally. Works like a charm!

QueenBee said:
TimeHorse said:
Let's just say in my writing groups I ding writers for now putting enough commas in to keep concepts not intended to run together to run together.

The place where I ate having been closer to my home which itself was on the corner of the street was none the less in a bad location.

Parse that sentence without commas.

QueenBee said:
TimeHorse said:

I suspect "now" is a type-o. :D

TimeHorse said:
QueenBee said:
TimeHorse said:

The place where I ate having been closer to my home which itself was on the corner of the street was none the less in a bad location.

Parse that sentence without commas.

A sign in my son's 3rd grade classroom reads:

Let's eat grandpa!
Let's eat, grandpa!

Punctuation, it can save a life.

abhik said:
Is install kit necessary for 40A surface mount charger?

We just had an Evr-green 400 surface mount installed. You need the pre-wire kit if you want the mounting bracket - there isn't one supplied with the charger, although there are two bolt holes in the frame of the EVSE that can be used to mount the unit without the bracket. I can take pictures of it if you'd like.

Back