Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Leviton Forum seems to be VERY, VERY SLOW, to the point of being "unusable" - at least on this Wii Opera browser.

Why are the Leviton 16, 24, and 32 amp EVSEs so very different in size?

One 50-amp-rated relay should do the job for all of them, and then there is "one resistor" change, to specify the "max-amps" value to the car, and the heavier wire to the 3 different wall plugs.

Nobody here from Leviton, I'm afraid. Their forum looks to be little more than a FAQ, though.

Maybe pull out a laptop and leave the WII for video games. Lack of PDF support makes the WII difficult to use when trying to get info from PDF docs. ;)

As for the EVSE - I look forward to hearing when your universal EVSE with a very long cable and dryer plug gets thru UL listing. I'll take two!

Ok, your two are 2397th and 2398th on my pre-order sign-up,
possible-interest, definitely-maybe NON-EVSE buy list. :)

Definite, Final Specs:
(subject to change)

Small, light weight, 120, 208, 240 volt, Level 1.1, 2.1, & 2.5
portable, plug-in configuration
6 to 40 amps "max-current", settings user-switchable ...
to accomodate breakers up to 50 amps.
25-foot cord with J1772 connector.

Adapters ordered seperately.

$499, with no install required.
UL listing not yet complete.
Indoor use only.
NOT for car charging.

Purchasers must certify competence in handling, use, and control, etc.

evnow said:
See this thread for eg. - we have been discussing this forever - that is the context of my comment.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=792
Thanks. It's good to know they didn't change 625 from the 1999 version I quoted.

Panel Statement: The panel reaffirms its action on this proposal. An EVSE meeting the requirements of 625.18, 625.19, and 625.29 can be cord-and-plug connected even when the voltage is greater than 120 VAC.
My interpretation of 625.29 is it requires a particular height and specific ventilation. It's unclear what the force of these requirements is, is it at the level of "Do not remove this tag from your pillow"? :) It seems AeroVironment, ClipperCreek, etc. expect an electrician to ensure this when she installs the hardwired unit, while Leviton just hopes you Do the Right Thing when you install the receptacle in their pre-wiring kit.

Anyway, I hope the other charging station manufacturers quickly add versions with a NEMA 6 plug.

Jimmydreams said:
Dav said:
He meant the one going to the receptacle. Looks under 1 foot in that picture.

I'm guessing that the cord will come as a 6 foot length (or certainly longer than 1 foot) and the installer cuts it to size.
I don't think so. A PG&E document, admittedly old, and admittedly in a section describing L1 support, says
Personnel Protection: The 1999 NEC has been modified to address this issue. According to the NEC, the EVSE shall have a listed system of protection against electric shock of people using the equipment. The personnel protection system shall be made up of listed protection devices and construction features. Regarding cord-and plug-connected EVSE, the interrupting device of a listed personnel protection system shall be provided and be an integral part of the attachment plug or be located in the power supply cable not more than 12 inches from the attachment plug.
This same PG&E document claims that you can never use a plug-connected L2 EVSE. It seems clear that Leviton has found some way around that, but I'm guessing that there is still a 12 inch rule they haven't been able to get around.

Hopefully, the wall-mount plate will be inexpensive to purchase, so the EVSE could "more properly" be used in several locations.

The web site
http://www.evrgreenchargers.com
seems to want you to sign up for an assessment, rather than sell you the mounting kit separately.

One might want one EVSE and several mounting kits (or at least mounting plates).

I think I'll convert an existing "dryer" outlet in the garage to the newer 6-30R receptacle, and plan to buy a Leviton 24-amp EVSE and prewire kit. Especially since I believe AMT negates the 50% EVSE credit, can't see paying AV $2200 for something I can do for half the price myself.

DeaneG said:
I think I'll convert an existing "dryer" outlet in the garage to the newer 6-30R receptacle, and plan to buy a Leviton 24-amp EVSE and prewire kit. Especially since I believe AMT negates the 50% EVSE credit, can't see paying AV $2200 for something I can do for half the price myself.

DeaneG- Exactly my thoughts. I don't think I want to use AV to line their pockets with $$$ profits.

I will try to add a spot for a 240 socket (and switch, all on a 40-amp breaker) in the garage.

Now, if only Leviton will sell the kit and the EVSE to us.
Any word on that, or pricing?

http://communities.leviton.com/thread/1334

They have answered my post about the cost.

Thank you for your post. Pricing is going to be available in the fall and we plan on being very competitive.

On a side note kits should also be available in the fall.

Our chargers are plug-in and can be installed by anyone including a Leviton certified installer. They can be used to charge the Nissan Leaf.

evnow said:
http://communities.leviton.com/thread/1334

They have answered my post about the cost.
How's THAT(!!!) for customer service ??! They answered your question 2 minutes BEFORE you asked it :shock: (Damn buggy forum software ;) )

Thanks evnow.
That info makes me a lot less concerned about when or whether AV gets back to me with my install quote.
I'm glad Leviton is stepping in at this time and bringing some competition. Hope they can produce them for home installs by December.

Yep...I plan to have my electrician install the kit as soon as they are for sale....

Then I will likely just buy the level 2 charger myself and hang and plug that in...it ain't rocket science :)

Gavin

(kit 200 bucks...install about 200 bucks...permit...100 bucks...EVSE 800??...so 1300 total probably...give or take a hundred or two).

Back