Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait for all the info coming out tomorrow...and the rest of the week.

I would buy the install kit as soon as it was available and have my electrician install it...then just wait for my LEAF order and get the EVSE....

My set up is easy...already have a big subpanel in the garage...so I imagine my electrician would do the install kit for a couple hundred bucks max...

Permit is maybe a hundred...The EVSE will probably be 750 or less...so whole thing would likely run 1 grand...

I like that number more than AV is quoting everyone...

Gavin

mwalsh said:
The whole AV thing is turning into a big pain in the "you know where". If this is reasonably priced, I may just go for it instead.

I think many people will..:)

evnow said:
Note that Leviton expects you to hire a contractor to install the kit. Once the kit is installed, you can install the EVSE.
Good point, I missed that at first. Well it sounds like they've really thought this through. Also, I'm sure Leviton is more of a household name than Aerovironment. If I go to the hardware store for a new light switch, chances are it's made by Leviton. They have a long experience in making electrical parts and have earned a reputation to match.

I work for a home builder and we were just talking about pre-wiring our new homes last week. This seems to be the kit! Time to get our electrical contractor certified.

I put in a call to Levitons customer service to check on pricing for pre-wire kits and chargers too.

I like the DIY option too. I may call and cancel my aerovironment assessment since it seems there are some many alternatives coming out.

The Leviton EVSE is looking better every day...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=835
gasmiser1: Leviton charger is now my favorite. They have both a level 1 portable 7/12amp J1772, cat. no. EVK02-00M to be able to take to a friends house or wherever to charge. They also have a self-install level 2, 24amp w/J1772, cat. no. EV03-00D that can be self-installed by plugging right into a dryer or oven existing plug! Also have a 32amp, cat. no. EV05-00D. The prices aren't disclosed yet, but they told me it will be less than $800.00 L2 (can you say bye bye AV?). This is the one I'll be getting.

cinmar said:
The Leviton EVSE is looking better every day...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=835
gasmiser1: Leviton charger is now my favorite. They have both a level 1 portable 7/12amp J1772, cat. no. EVK02-00M to be able to take to a friends house or wherever to charge. They also have a self-install level 2, 24amp w/J1772, cat. no. EV03-00D that can be self-installed by plugging right into a dryer or oven existing plug! Also have a 32amp, cat. no. EV05-00D. The prices aren't disclosed yet, but they told me it will be less than $800.00 L2 (can you say bye bye AV?). This is the one I'll be getting.

I may go that route as well unless my friend at Schneider Electric gets me a free one:) I also like the look of the Blink and may do that myself as well. At this point AV and their install gouging is now off my list, they would have been smart to discount the pre-wired installations and I be they get competitive fast.

EVDRIVER said:
... At this point AV and their install gouging is now off my list, they would have been smart to discount the pre-wired installations and I be they get competitive fast.
I agree, and expect AV to do just that per the assessor's comment about how easy my install will be and how I should expect minimal labor charges. I also got on the LEAF chat to discuss same issue. They simply asked that if I had any concerns about the EVSE install price, to contact them via phone and they would patch in AV to discuss.

The AV unit looks smaller, clean and simple. The Leviton unit looks ok too. I don't care for the size/looks of the Blink nor its seeming complexity. With my past EV, more than range anxiety I had 'contacts anxiety'. Whenever I'd plug in I always listened for those contacts to close indicating charging had begun. I had more trouble with that damn charging station than my EV! The AV assessor said ideally, I would have both the AV 240V unit and the 120V 20A GFCI outlet for the L1 charger cord that comes with the car within connecting distance to my LEAF. If a customer gets home and the LEAF isn't taking a charge, Nissan CS will ask me to disconnect the L2 charger and connect the L1. If that works, they'll come and swap out the AV L2 unit right away. If both fail to charge the car they'll assume it's the LEAF onboard charger and send someone or ask if I can drive it to the nearest dealer. Without the AV EVSE (or Ecotality I presume), I think they'll just say, "contact your EVSE manufacturer".

Now that I'm on the August schedule, I'm back to thinking about the $5k CA rebate. I don't want the EVSE issue to delay me so I really want to get a clear understanding from Nissan about whether waiving the L2 charger is a factor for the early deliveries. The AV electrician also pointed out that I should be sure I had a dedicated 20A GFCI outlet for the L1 charger cord that comes with the car. He said it will pull enough amps that other power sinks could easily trip due to other stuff on the branch circuit.
So, I'm happy there's gonna be more EVSE options. I wish AV would get their act together on installation price gouging and hope Nissan will be clear about our options for waiving the AV EVSE installation by the time August orders are placed.

sparky said:
EVDRIVER said:
... At this point AV and their install gouging is now off my list, they would have been smart to discount the pre-wired installations and I be they get competitive fast.
I agree, and expect AV to do just that per the assessor's comment about how easy my install will be and how I should expect minimal labor charges. I also got on the LEAF chat to discuss same issue. They simply asked that if I had any concerns about the EVSE install price, to contact them via phone and they would patch in AV to discuss.

The AV unit looks smaller, clean and simple. The Leviton unit looks ok too. I don't care for the size/looks of the Blink nor its seeming complexity. With my past EV, more than range anxiety I had 'contacts anxiety'. Whenever I'd plug in I always listened for those contacts to close indicating charging had begun. I had more trouble with that damn charging station than my EV! The AV assessor said ideally, I would have both the AV 240V unit and the 120V 20A GFCI outlet for the L1 charger cord that comes with the car within connecting distance to my LEAF. If a customer gets home and the LEAF isn't taking a charge, Nissan CS will ask me to disconnect the L2 charger and connect the L1. If that works, they'll come and swap out the AV L2 unit right away. If both fail to charge the car they'll assume it's the LEAF onboard charger and send someone or ask if I can drive it to the nearest dealer. Without the AV EVSE (or Ecotality I presume), I think they'll just say, "contact your EVSE manufacturer".

Now that I'm on the August schedule, I'm back to thinking about the $5k CA rebate. I don't want the EVSE issue to delay me so I really want to get a clear understanding from Nissan about whether waiving the L2 charger is a factor for the early deliveries. The AV electrician also pointed out that I should be sure I had a dedicated 20A GFCI outlet for the L1 charger cord that comes with the car. He said it will pull enough amps that other power sinks could easily trip due to other stuff on the branch circuit.
So, I'm happy there's gonna be more EVSE options. I wish AV would get their act together on installation price gouging and hope Nissan will be clear about our options for waiving the AV EVSE installation by the time August orders are

placed.

NIssan told me point blank the EVSE install has no impact on delivery or delivery date. That seems clear now. There should also be more affordable, quality EVSE options. If AV charges me a few hundred for my VERY simple install I may consider, otherwise the labor is not labor it's padded margin so don't be tricked by a low EVSE price of $750, it's like a deal on a TV but the shipping is $300. It's just how its packaged and for those that are already wired it's easy to add a EVSE, as easy as an outlet. I went though all this with the AVCONs and it's the same story but more padding here and MUCH cheaper quality boxes.

I had requested for infor on this - and got an email.

Forum ! : http://communities.leviton.com/community/knowledgebaseforums/evr-green

Brochure : http://communities.leviton.com/docs/DOC-2534

mwalsh said:
evnow said:
Forum ! : http://communities.leviton.com/community/knowledgebaseforums/evr-green

Oh, groan! Not another forum to follow! :lol:

Lets see - I've asked the person there to join the discussion here (since he is the only one there !).

hey, watch the last 2 minutes approx of this video...

it shows a homeowner coming out with the leviton box and putting it on the wall and plugging it in...

not an "official" portable L2 charging station, but I think they are hinting that you can easily take your station off the wall and away with you and use it anywhere that has the right electric dryer plug.

Gavin

http://www.evrgreenchargers.com/Video.htm

Yes - Evr-Green is "portable". Currently they are asking us to get an assessment to give a quote. They want their certified electricians to come and install this as well. Let us see if they sell it retail to anyone who wants one ...

Are both L2 boxes portable...the bigger one looks kinda heavy...

Should I get the 16A one that is smaller and easier to take on the road

or Should I get the 32A one that is bigger and heavier, but will charge faster?

How fast can the 220v 16A charger charge
vs the 220v 32A charger?

Gavin

Gavin - the larger EVSE cannot charge the Leaf (any new EV or PHEV for that matter) any faster because we all have 3.3kW chargers installed.

The larger EVSE unit will give more 'future potential' but the bottleneck is and will be the car's on-board charger...until it's not...Gen 2, Gen 3 or upgrade?

well to be future proof....

16A would charge a leaf size battery in ?

32A would charge a leaf size battery in?

The smaller one is cuter and would go "portable" much better

but would it work at RV stops and such? If not, maybe bigger one is better for my next EV after the LEAF

Gavin

If the rough guestimate for L2 charging is 'between 4 and 8 hours':

The 16A EVSE and a 3.3kW charger would be closer to 8.
The 32A EVSE and a 3.3kW charger would still be closer to 8.
The 16A EVSE and future 6.6kW charger would be...closer to 8.
The 32A EVSE and future 6.6kW charger woulbe closer to 4.

Both units would work on the road with proper adapters. A 16A EVSE would be quite happy plugged into anything that had a circuit breaker equal to or larger than 20A.

I'm still leaning toward staying with level 1 for my normal driving. It would be nice to have a small 16A unit to take on the road, though.

Andy

Thanks....

I might just go 16A...it won't be future proof...but will be good for home charging and if I go visit family and friends up in Santa Fe...

Not really a good option for long travel till level 3 comes along...or generator trailers...Nissan should make one...I could rent it from the Phoenix dealership and then drive my LEAF from Phoenix to Albuquerque...would be a good story and press for Nissan..."Man buys EV, drives it 450 miles, 7 hours non-stop, on the first day he buys it"...would kill some worries about range.

Gain

Back