Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally ... located a picture that seems to confirm the Level2 unit is also plug-in with (if I interpet the picture correctly) NEMA 6-50: http://www.evrgreenchargers.com/Pre-WireKits1.htm

Looks a little bigger/heavier ... so maybe the term "luggable" rather than portable applies. (Remember the first "luggable" Compaq "portable" PCs ??)

LEAFer said:
Finally ... located a picture that seems to confirm the Level2 unit is also plug-in with (if I interpet the picture correctly) NEMA 6-50: http://www.evrgreenchargers.com/Pre-WireKits1.htm

Looks a little bigger/heavier ... so maybe the term "luggable" rather than portable applies. (Remember the first "luggable" Compaq "portable" PCs ??)

The product bulletin has a table for three pre-wire kits - 20, 30, and 40-50A kits using 6-20R, 6-30R, and 6-50R.
http://www.evrgreenchargers.com/PDFS/from john/Evr-Green Pre-Wire Kits.pdf

Cool - thanks!

One more thing is - the power cable of the evse is very short. It is really meant for wall hanging rather than carry along.

So, when anyone does carry it, you would need a long (and heavy) extension cord, along with some adapters.

Here is the four step process, from their website:

Contact
Reach us by phone at 877-338-7473, or online at leviton.com/evrgreen. Our qualified plug-in electric vehicle expert will guide you through the process and help you determine the right product to meet your needs. You can schedule an on-site appointment online.
Once you have agreed to move forward, we will send a qualified installer to conduct a site survey and provide you a firm cost and installation date. Our highly trained installers will walk you through the permitting and paperwork, and inform you of any local or federal incentives.
Installation
Our expert installers will install the charging station pre-wire kit, ensuring compliance with your local ordinances and ADA guidelines. You also have the option to purchase the charging station at the time of kit install, or at a later date. When you have your car, just mount the charging station on the bracket and you’re ready to go.
Support
We will follow-up with a call to ensure that your charger is working to your satisfaction.

So, has anyone here given them a call yet, to make an appointment for assessment?

BTW, I highly recommend viewing the video on their website: http://www.evrgreenchargers.com/Video.htm

Gavin said:
I might just go 16A...it won't be future proof...but will be good for home charging and if I go visit family and friends up in Santa Fe...
Yep, just get a beefy 12GA extension cord and the right adapter to plug in to their dryer port and you'll be good to go.

evnow said:
One more thing is - the power cable of the evse is very short. It is really meant for wall hanging rather than carry along.

So, when anyone does carry it, you would need a long (and heavy) extension cord, along with some adapters.

How long do you think it is? looks around 15 feet or so...

4841813388_4b958fe125_b.jpg

any reason to go the 24A, middle version??

4841197869_fafe6529de_b.jpg

too bad you have a different plug for each one.

though I guess changing out the receptacle if you upgrade isn't hard...or you can just carry a few adapters (probably best for traveling anyways...never sure what the charging situation will be...)

of course i going through all this when in reality my LEAF (or any EV I get) will be a city car anyways.

gavin

yeah, but for me that cord means little when going portable...I find a 220v outlet and plug the short plug in and put the charger on a chair or box or whatever is handy, then run longer cord to car...the longer cord is more of an issue...if most 220v sockets are in the laundry room....well that works fine if the laundry room is in the garage (mine is just next to garage...so would work), but if not, well it won't be usable for family trips where I want to charge while stopping for dinner or to watch the superbowl or something like that.

gavin

Dav said:
He meant the one going to the receptacle. Looks under 1 foot in that picture.

I'm guessing that the cord will come as a 6 foot length (or certainly longer than 1 foot) and the installer cuts it to size.

Gavin said:
yeah, but for me that cord means little when going portable
I have to disagree. I used two 25 foot extension cords to reach from my in-laws dryer plug to the charger - which I kept inside the car so it could not be stolen while charging in their driveway overnight.

The EVSE would be equally safe in their laundry room, but a 50 foot cord from the EVSE to the car seems unrealistic.

Jimmydreams said:
Dav said:
He meant the one going to the receptacle. Looks under 1 foot in that picture.

I'm guessing that the cord will come as a 6 foot length (or certainly longer than 1 foot) and the installer cuts it to size.

I doubt that - esp if they say evse is just plug & play.

cinmar said:
"So easy, even your wife can plug it in :roll: ..." Photos like this one bug me, can ya tell?

When we went shopping for the washing machine - the salesguy said to my wife, "its so simple even your husband can use it". Needless to say we didn't buy from him ...

(my first post!)
EVDRIVER said:
evnow said:
This should settle any questions about whether it is legal to have a plug-in level 2 EVSE :D
There is interpretation within the code that allows the plug to be allowed as it is in the 7.2kw Leviton unit here.
Hmmm. The National Electrical Code section 625 is hard to read. NEC 625 says "Electric vehicle supply equipment rated at 125 volt, single phase, 15 or 20 amperes ..." (i.e. level 1 charging) "shall be permitted to be cord and plug connected. All other electric vehicle supply equipment shall be permanently connected and fastened in place." I thought that this means Level 2 has to be wired, not pluggable, and I've edited several Wikipedia articles to add this interpretation. But the "..." also extends the exception to "part of a system identified and listed as suitable for the purpose and meeting the requirements of Sections 625-18. 625-19. and 625-29". The first two sections talk about interlock and de-energization safety requirements (these features are part of SAE J1772) but the last specifies height and ventilation levels. Maybe Leviton gets round this by assuming that the electrician who installs the 240V receptacle in their pre-wire kit will verify the height and ventilation requirements, but their PDF for the pre-wire kits makes no mention of electricians. Maybe Leviton just add the NEC 625 language to the pages of safety cautions and warnings that nobody reads. :)

But this raises (not begs!) the question, why does every other manufacturer require an electrician and not simply provide a charging station with one of the NEMA 240V plugs?!

By the way, the Leviton evr-green charging stations (and their corresponding pre-wire kits) have a range of currents and plugs:

• EVB22 (EVK02 kit) - 16A - NEMA 6-20 receptacle
    EVB33 (EVK03 kit) - 24A - NEMA 6-30 receptacle
    EVB45 (EVK05 kit) - 32A - NEMA 6-50 receptacle

Back