Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Email response was fast but no real info

Greetings,
Thank you for contacting Leviton, we are excited about your interest in our Evr-green Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE). We have attached a brochure for your review and have provided a link below to our website dedicated to our EVSE products.

http://www.leviton.com/evrgreen

Pricing should be available in the coming weeks, with product hitting the market sometime before the end of the year.

We will have more information regarding pricing in the fall, and are targeting an end of the year release for the units.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to respond to this e-mail with your questions and preferred method of contact, and one of our EVSE experts will be glad to contact you. Or visit the Leviton Online Knowledgebase at:

http://communities.leviton.com/community/knowledgebaseforums/evr-green

Thank you and have a great day,

The Evr-green Team

Zuccaro, Chris [[email protected]]; on behalf of; Evrgreen [[email protected]]

Could it be that Leviton dropped the 24A (30A breaker) version? It's not listed on their product page:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=33398&minisite=10091

I'l going to be very bummed if that is true. As would be anyone with an unused dryer outlet and a gen 1 Leaf.

Looks like the 30A version comes out in Q1.

* Evr-Green 160 Level 2 Charging Station provides 3.8kW output (16A @ 240V)...charger plugs into dedicated 20A circuit (NEMA 6-20R) - available end Q4 2010
* Evr-Green 320 Level 2 Charging Station provides 7.2kW output (30A @240V)...charger plugs into dedicated 40A circuit (NEMA 6-50R) - available Q1 2011

evnow said:

* Evr-Green 160 Level 2 Charging Station provides 3.8kW output (16A @ 240V)...charger plugs into dedicated 20A circuit (NEMA 6-20R) - available end Q4 2010
* Evr-Green 320 Level 2 Charging Station provides 7.2kW output (30A @240V)...charger plugs into dedicated 40A circuit (NEMA 6-50R) - available Q1 2011

See NEMA 6-50R, at home depot for about $6. No special kit required. I have three in may garage.

evnow said:

But at one point there was talk of a version that would plug into NEMA 6-30R on a dedicated 30A circuit and provide up to 24A to the vehicle.

Cheers, Wayne

The 16a would seem to be plenty for the Leaf. With the talk of 6.6Kw upgrades I think would need the 32a.
I don't see the need for the middle 24a. Certainly you can plug the 16a into the 30a dryer circuit just as you plug a 1a lamp into a 15a connector.
I would speculate Leviton also realizes the 24a has no real market need.

smkettner said:
The 16a would seem to be plenty for the Leaf. With the talk of 6.6Kw upgrades I think would need the 32a.
I don't see the need for the middle 24a. Certainly you can plug the 16a into the 30a dryer circuit just as you plug a 1a lamp into a 15a connector.

Seems like that is true. Either go for the small minimum box or the bigger one in case you need the extra power later. Wonder what the price difference will be. Will the 16a be in the $300 range? Wonder why it's taking them so long. These boxes are not that complicated right? I would like to have my in by late November. Hope they will have the pre-wire kits out before that.. or do we even need those? Meaning, can we buy what we need to pre-wire at Home Depot?

-Peter

prberg said:
smkettner said:

Seems like that is true. Either go for the small minimum box or the bigger one in case you need the extra power later. Wonder what the price difference will be. Will the 16a be in the $300 range? Wonder why it's taking them so long. These boxes are not that complicated right? I would like to have my in by late November. Hope they will have the pre-wire kits out before that.. or do we even need those? Meaning, can we buy what we need to pre-wire at Home Depot?

-Peter

UL

smkettner said:

A 24A version would give the most charging capability per installed dollar for many people (well, me). The reason is that I already have a 30A dryer outlet. I could get 5.76kW from it without paying for an electrician visit. The receptacle is already a 14-30R. I was hoping to get more capacity than 3.8kW for free.

Alternatively (1) , I could plug a 16A EVSE into that socket with an adapter plug, or (2) I could downsize the breaker to 20A and change the receptacle to 14-20R or whatever. But then I'd only have a 3.8kW solution. Or (3) I could pay an electrician to run a new 40A breaker circuit for maybe $500 to get the full 7.7kW capacity. Nearly full power for free is better though.

Since the G1 Leaf will probably be permanently limited to 3.3kW, I'll probably go with alternative 2 and buy the cheaper 16A EVSE.

For the 1st gen Leaf, the 16A charger would be enough - the Leaf's internal charger as I understand it can't handle more than 3.3KW anyway. So the Leviton EVSE has a NEMA 6-20R plug. Ok, for those who want a portable solution with no contractor install hassles it's still easy to do. NEMA 6-20R female plugs are available at the hardware store for like $10, connect it to a short heavy duty cord and connect an appropriate plug on the other end of the cord to plug in to your dryer outlet and you're all set :D (Of course, be sure to consider safety issues and code regulations first :!:)

I really think the 30A/24A version would be the ideal; hope they make that one available again. With December delivery and 70 miles/day ... not sure if I want to await Q1 2011 availability of the 50A/40A version (which could be 3/31/2011). I don't feel like "upgrading" to a different EVSE in a few years. But I guess worst case is ... sell the Gen1 LEAF with the portable 20A/16A Leviton. That's a nice perk for the future buyer. (Or EBAY it in a few years for some return of the $.)

gasmiser1 said:
I was counting on the 30amp dryer unit as well. I wonder how many of us want that particular style?

30A minimum and if a 50A model is available in march I would wait.

There should be one L2 EVSE model that can be "set" (configured) for at least 16, 24, or 32 amps.

Perhaps an internal switch or jumper, or a "setup" parameter written into Flash memory, or a "switch" on the back-side that cannot be accessed as long as the EVSE "box" is mounted on the wall?

Back