Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo, I've seen multiple references to EVSE volts and amps, but I've never seen it, either in "Leaf Battery App" or Leaf Spy Pro. I guessed it was an old unsupported feature, but it's in the latest version's help file.

It would be really cool to see "kw in" while charging. Not so exciting for level 1 or even level 2, but if I ever get on a level 3 charger it would be nice to see.

I don't suppose there is any way to smooth out the KW on page 5 at all? Even if it was a 2 or 4 second average so it doesn't bounce so crazy as you look at it.

On the way to work this morning the app stopped receiving some of the information from my Bluetooth ODB. I had the real time braking/acceleration screen on and I lost the blue line - It went flat. The braking screen was showing blue and read, but no data logged ( I got two lines in the csv file). This is version 30.27.

Dan

Staque said:
Turbo, I've seen multiple references to EVSE volts and amps, but I've never seen it, either in "Leaf Battery App" or Leaf Spy Pro. I guessed it was an old unsupported feature, but it's in the latest version's help file.
Unfortunately, the command used to read that information does not work on 2013/2014 Leafs.

Need to find a new command for those model years.

dan2112 said:
On the way to work this morning the app stopped receiving some of the information from my Bluetooth ODB. I had the real time braking/acceleration screen on and I lost the blue line - It went flat. The braking screen was showing blue and read, but no data logged ( I got two lines in the csv file). This is version 30.27.

Dan
That screen is experimental and as stated when you enable it may lock up the app.

Turbo3 said:
dan2112 said:

Dan
That screen is experimental and as stated when you enable it may lock up the app.

Yes very true - just reporting it. ;-)

Turbo3 said:
Staque said:
Unfortunately, the command used to read that information does not work on 2013/2014 Leafs.

That's too bad...I would find that information useful when using public chargers. Is there anything that we as '13/'14 users can do to help get this figured out?

--G

gmikol said:
Turbo3 said:
Staque said:

That's too bad...I would find that information useful when using public chargers. Is there anything that we as '13/'14 users can do to help get this figured out?

--G
Since Nissan moved the charger from the rear to the front and it now supports up to 6.6kw they may have assigned a different address to the On-Board-Charge ECU.

When I have time I will write a test app that a 2013/2014 owner can run to probe all possible addresses and see if anything new shows up.

Turbo3 said:
If you want to report your device we can make up a list of which work and which have trouble.

What about frequency? Does it run some time before it fails or does it fail right away?

It is a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 (non-pro) edition tablet.
I tried it again on the way home and the blue line was flat. It was working when during the beta, so I don't know what changed.

Turbo3 said:
When I have time I will write a test app that a 2013/2014 owner can run to probe all possible addresses and see if anything new shows up.

I have a 2014 SL and would be willing to a "capture" for you - just let me know.
Dan

Turbo3 said:
If you want to report your device we can make up a list of which work and which have trouble.
My Samsung S3 on Android 4.3 locked up after a bit on that screen. Actually, I had screen 4 lock up on me today even without the new screen 5 enabled.

drees said:
Turbo3 said:
My Samsung S3 on Android 4.3 locked up after a bit on that screen. Actually, I had screen 4 lock up on me today even without the new screen 5 enabled.
I am going to need to know more about what you mean by "screen 4 lock up". What exactly happens on screen 4 to make you think it is locked up?

Screen 5 the Brake/Motor screen is special in that it stays in state 167 getting data from the Leaf. The screen locks up when for some reason this data stops and even switching off of screen 5 does not cause data to start to flow again from the the Leaf. So when you go to any other screen the state number in the lower right status box does not change and is normally stuck at 167.

If instead you are just having trouble swiping off of screen 4 that is not a lock up. You are just swiping over button areas that don't allow swiping and there are a lot of them on screen 4. If that is the case just tap or tap and hold on the bottom left section where the page circles are as described in the application help under Navigation.

dan2112 said:
Turbo3 said:

What about frequency? Does it run some time before it fails or does it fail right away?

I tried it again on the way home and the blue line was flat. It was working when during the beta, so I don't know what changed.

I installed an update this morning (v30.29) and made sure I set the model year was set to 2014 and it worked ok on morning commute. No sure if any effects the "brake and motor" screen - just reporting my findings this morning... :)

dan2112 said:
dan2112 said:
Turbo3 said:

I installed an update this morning (v30.29) and made sure I set the model year was set to 2014 and it worked ok on morning commute. No sure if any effects the "brake and motor" screen - just reporting my findings this morning... :)
Normally Model year is set automatically based on the VIN once it is read by the app.

Only countries that do not use the same VIN standard as the US/Japan (like GB) need to manually set the Model year. You can test this by setting it to 2011 then run app and it should change to 2014. If not and you have a compliant VIN then I need to see your VIN to find out why that did not happen.

Turbo3 said:
Normally Model year is set automatically based on the VIN once it is read by the app.

Only countries that do not use the same VIN standard as the US/Japan (like GB) need to manually set the Model year. You can test this by setting it to 2011 then run app and it should change to 2014. If not and you have a compliant VIN then I need to see your VIN to find out why that did not happen.

I tried this at noon today and it did not set the model year automatically - it stayed at 2011. I can PM the VIN to you if needed.

dan2112 said:
Turbo3 said:

I tried this at noon today and it did not set the model year automatically - it stayed at 2011. I can PM the VIN to you if needed.
Yes, PM me your VIN.
=======================
Update:
Automatic setting of Model Year is broken and will always be set back to 2011 when the VIN is read. Fix will be in the next test version (0.30.30).

Just uploaded new test versions of Leaf Spy (0.29.20) and Leaf Spy Pro (030.30). If all goes well these will be the next released versions. The new Settings Backup/Restore function allows settings to be moved between devices as well as protects them from loss once you upgrade to this version.

Changes:
- Writing to the SD card is inhibited if no SD card is installed. Prevents application from crashing if no SD card is installed.

- Added three more frame delay selection choices (4 6, and 8 milliseconds). Allows faster transfers for those devices that can handle the increased transfer rate.

- Changed the way the Settings information is saved. Instead of unconditionally saving the Settings whenever the application is exited Settings are only saved if they have been changed and are saved immediately on exit from the Settings screen.

- New option on Settings screen to Backup and Restore Settings to/from the SD card, if one is present. The new file is located in:

/LEAF_BT_CAN/SETUP file name is Setup.txt

What is the most reliable/compatible bluetooth/OBDII/canbus adapter for Leaf Spy? The cheapest compatible adapter for the I-Miev (CanIon) is $80-$90 (OBD Link MX). Any idea why?

Thanks,

J

Just reporting that the Brake screen caused the app to lock up on my phone (it got stuck on "16 00" if that makes any difference). I'm using a strange Android device, a Bambook S1, which apparently is only available in China. We had exchange students and one of them left it behind. Probably not very useful information, I know, but I figured I'd report it nonetheless.

Back