Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Just uploaded new test versions of Leaf Spy (0.29.20) and Leaf Spy Pro (030.30).

I noticed that when I enabled the ELM trace debug, and restarted, there is no longer a blinking trace status at the bottom of Screen 4 like previous versions.

jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
Just uploaded new test versions of Leaf Spy (0.29.20) and Leaf Spy Pro (030.30).

I noticed that when I enabled the ELM trace debug, and restarted, there is no longer a blinking trace status at the bottom of Screen 4 like previous versions.
Ok, I see the problem.

To fully switch over to the new Settings file format you need to change the settings at least once and enabling ELM Logging does not count.

Try this, go to settings and change the Units, exit just settings (new settings will be converted to new format and saved) then go back to settings and change the units back again and exit settings (now you are back to your original settings but new format is active).

Its a little complicated to explain but in the old format the ELM Trace flag was in the settings file but in the new format the ELM Trace flag is in a new State file. When you set the ELM Trace flag that gets written to the new State file. However, when you restart the app the app reads in the Settings file and since it is in the old format does not read in the new State file with the ELM Trace flag.

I will need to find a way to force the Settings file to be updated to the new format the first time you exit the Settings screen even if nothing has changed (since the ELM Logging flag is not saved in the settings file it is not part of the change detection logic).

Good catch. Bug 1

The State file is saved every time you exit the app and hold the information about which screen you were on and what display selections you made so when you restart the app you are in the same place with the same selections. Originally this was stored in the Settings file and was why the Settings file was saved every time you exited the app. By moving it to a separate file the real settings file can be kept unchanged unless you actually go to settings and change something.

Turbo3 said:
jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:

Try this, go to settings and change the Units, exit just settings (new settings will be converted to new format and saved) then go back to settings and change the units back again and exit settings (now you are back to your original settings but new format is active).

After going through this procedure first, then setting ELM trace on, and restarting, the ELM trace status was back. Thanks for the workaround.

Another solution is to do a Backup then Restore of Settings. That will force the new format without needing to change any settings.

Perhaps a better way to describe the new Settings system is that there are now Static Settings and Dynamic Settings.

Static Settings are changed only by going into the settings menu (with the exception of ELM Logging) and are saved to the setup.txt file only when they have been changed.

Dynamic Settings can be changed without going into the Settings menu and are saved on exit from the app to an internal state.txt file.

The ELM Logging flag is actually half and half. Set in Settings but cleared automatically the next time the app starts. Since it auto clears it must go in the state.txt file.

Two additional fixes in the current test versions are:

- Fix for Automatic Model Year selection. Needs to be verified on a 2013/2014 Leaf. Report if this works now.

- Fix bug that would crash app with an index out of range error.

xado1 said:
with update 30.30 and 30.31 i get no connection to my bluetooth dongle.
do i need new settings?
There is a small chance the settings got reset back to the default ones during the update.

Go into Settings and make sure the Port is set correctly for your device (Port 1, Port 16 or Secure).

If it is not correct then change it back to the correct settings. Verify all the other settings are the way you want them. Verify connection works then go to Settings and do a Backup.

If this ever happens again you can use the Restore settings option to quickly get things working again.

The code should keep your settings between updates but others have reported sometimes losing them and I have seen it a few times while testing. The new Backup Restore is my solution to this.

i have version 30.27 on motorola Droid Bionic running 4.1.2 and the GID screen is not updating and I am getting random reboots. i rebooted phone which did no help but rebooting ELM did allow GIDs to count. everything seems connected so wondering what up?

i can send elm debug files. only need to know where?

DaveinOlyWA said:
i have version 30.27 on motorola Droid Bionic running 4.1.2 and the GID screen is not updating and I am getting random reboots. i rebooted phone which did no help but rebooting ELM did allow GIDs to count. everything seems connected so wondering what up?

Please update to 0.31.31 as 0.30.27 has a couple of bugs that could crash the app.

After you update if you still have the problem then please send me an ELM trace ([email protected]).

Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Please update to 0.31.31 as 0.30.27 has a couple of bugs that could crash the app.

After you update if you still have the problem then please send me an ELM trace ([email protected]).

oh another update? cool

Greetings all. I've got a right hand drive Leaf here in Australia which means distances in kilometres, temperatures in Celsius & tire pressures in kPa. Anybody know what happens if I plug a Spy into my metric CAN? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't figure out if the bus is running SI units or if the units are applied to raw data in the app. If the latter are there any plans to offer a version with metric units?

Kris1 said:
Greetings all. I've got a right hand drive Leaf here in Australia which means distances in kilometres, temperatures in Celsius & tire pressures in kPa. Anybody know what happens if I plug a Spy into my metric CAN? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't figure out if the bus is running SI units or if the units are applied to raw data in the app. If the latter are there any plans to offer a version with metric units?
You can select Units at the top of the Settings screen. That will take care of two of the three you listed.

For the tire pressure I will need an ELM trace to see how the Leaf is reporting it. This assumes that Australian Leafs come with the TPMS units in each tire. By default the Leaf will assume PSI so actually if you tell me what values you see for tire pressure I can probably work backward to find the correct conversion factor. I would just need to know the real kPa of your tires.

Turbo3 said:
xado1 said:
with update 30.30 and 30.31 i get no connection to my bluetooth dongle.
do i need new settings?
There is a small chance the settings got reset back to the default ones during the update.

Go into Settings and make sure the Port is set correctly for your device (Port 1, Port 16 or Secure).

If it is not correct then change it back to the correct settings. Verify all the other settings are the way you want them. Verify connection works then go to Settings and do a Backup.

If this ever happens again you can use the Restore settings option to quickly get things working again.

The code should keep your settings between updates but others have reported sometimes losing them and I have seen it a few times while testing. The new Backup Restore is my solution to this.
i still have no connection to my bluetooth device,i have tried port 1,16,and secure.
would be strange,that my dongle give up working right after the update

Please send me an ELM trace so I can see what is going on. Send to email address shown on About screen. Go to bottom of Settings screen to enable then exit and restart app.

You might want to first try replugging the dongle to reset it.

Also reboot your Android device.

Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

did update and still seeing GIDs not being updated at least once. I will try the power recycling stuff and see if the issue is repeatable. as far as operation, the only change I have made is enabling the power/brake graph. i may try turning it off to see if anything improves. if not will send you file in 2 days or so.

If you look at the bottom right status box the state number will tell you if Gids are being requested. If you see state 26 flash by then that is the state it requests the Gids.

There are also two ways to read the Gids. The Settings/Debug panel has an option to select Alt Gids.

Again an ELM trace will tell me exactly what is happening (is request being sent, did Leaf respond with data, was data in the right format).

Turbo3 said:
If you look at the bottom right status box the state number will tell you if Gids are being requested. If you see state 26 flash by then that is the state it requests the Gids.

There are also two ways to read the Gids. The Settings/Debug panel has an option to select Alt Gids.

Again an ELM trace will tell me exactly what is happening (is request being sent, did Leaf respond with data, was data in the right format).

email sent. i tried alt GIDs and works occasionally. status is "20.00"

DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:

email sent. i tried alt GIDs and works occasionally. status is "20.00"
Alt Gids should not work on 2013 and later Leafs. Try regular settings (uncheck Alt Gids) and if that still fails send me another ELM Trace.

The status of 20 00 is caused by the app not exiting the brake/motor screen successfully. Once in that state the app is hung and nothing is going to be updated. You need to avoid using that option. The state should be continually cycling through states unless on the 167 (Brake/motor) screen. Once you leave the Brake/Motor screen it should cycle through the states again.

Anytime the status stays on one state like 20 00 the app is hung.

Couple of questions I can't answer by ploughing through forum pages, grateful if someone could help out......
1) What is the history of gids? Is a gid a value that comes out of the Leaf CAN or did Garry invent it? Why not just use kwh?
2) Why is is possible for a CAN OBD dongle to drain the 12v aux battery? Why doesn't the DC-DC aux charger notice the drop in the AUX batt & start charging it from the traction pack?

Back