EVSE Plug Adaptors, Cords and Modifications Info

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the CS6365's (aka: the "Marinco") are usually not cheap, but I've seen them as low as $20 on sale. This connector has found wide usage in portable power, especially in entertainment, and can be found on most all large gensets these days. Most portable "spider boxes" use these and have passthrough connectors on them, so you can usually find a spare outlet if you are likely to visit conventions, festivals, concerts, etc.

cs6365-large.jpg

-Phil

Note that the CS6365 fills the gap for a NEMA 50A twistlock, since there isn't one. :)

No, the spike doesn't do anything.

Nate

You indicated these are usually hidden in plain sight in public parks, Nate? Where might one typically find them? By the rest rooms? What do the plugs typically look like? Or was "hidden in plain sight" just an expression?

As for where to find CS6364 outlets to plug in a CS6365 plug, look around for a flip-cap on a piece of strut-bar in parks near outdoor amphitheaters or other places where outdoor power might occasionally be required. They are usually under a flip-cap like this
7788-CR.jpg

Note that if you find a PLUG (MALE) end under the cap, that you have located a CS6365 which is used to attach a generator to push power INTO whatever facility you are at. (This is useless):
9411_large.jpg

Note that a lot of these are in grassy areas no where near where you can park a car. Nothing that 200 ft of extension cord won't cure.

Nate

Good news guys, my brother has offered to make a variety of the adapters we've been discussing here at a reasonable price. We're still working out the specifics and I'll post details soon. These will be a good bit less than buying them custom order on sites such as stayonline.com... But be forewarned, they're still spendy as the parts required are not cheap in such limited quantities.

Ingineer said:
Yes, the CS6365's (aka: the "Marinco") are usually not cheap, but I've seen them as low as $20 on sale. This connector has found wide usage in portable power, especially in entertainment, and can be found on most all large gensets these days. Most portable "spider boxes" use these and have passthrough connectors on them, so you can usually find a spare outlet if you are likely to visit conventions, festivals, concerts, etc.

cs6365-large.jpg

-Phil
I used to use these for the power distro on my PA rig. I had a distro box with an inlet, and 250 ft of 6/4 SO broken up into segments with these twist-lock connectors on the ends. Sometimes they were a bit fussy going together and required a bit of muscle to get them to lock, but overall, the system worked quite well.

Geek, I highly recommend using pre-made cordsets from Home Depot or otherwise for the Nema 10-30/50 and the Nema 14-30/50.

I did this for my RAV4; I'd post pics but they went with my car when I sold it.

For example, for the 10-30/50, buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009W3PA/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1

and trim the "L" pin so it will fit both the 10-30 and 10-50 outlet. Yes, it's safe to do so; most 10-30 outlets don't even make contact on the horizontal part of the "L". Why is this so? Because there is very little current on this pin, since it's the return leg of the circuit.

For the 14-30/50, do the same with this cord:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FBMJZW/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1

Note that the same goes for the "L" pin, but it is unused in this circuit; the horizontal part of the "L" can be trimmed for 14-30 and 14-50, or can be sheared completely off, and will accomodate 14-60 as well. (An outlet I've never seen in real life, FYI). Note that for the RAV4 we would attach the Neutral and Ground together inside the L6-30 connector, this was done by drilling a small hole on the inside of the twistlock to put two wires on the one pin. (I really wish I had taken a picture of this).

Nate

GeekEV said:
Good news guys, my brother has offered to make a variety of the adapters we've been discussing here at a reasonable price. We're still working out the specifics and I'll post details soon. These will be a good bit less than buying them custom order on sites such as stayonline.com... But be forewarned, they're still spendy as the parts required are not cheap in such limited quantities.
I'm very interested in this offer...

We just need to try out a couple flat rate USPS shipping boxes to see what size will work. Look for a post late tonight or tomorrow night at the latest. To (hopefully) keep it simple, we're going to handle it all through PMs and PayPal. I'm not going to go through the trouble of setting up a web order page unless it gets to be too much work in PMs... :)

jmillington said:
I'm very interested in this offer...

Details on what we're offering and how to order are now posted in this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3085&start=0

Enjoy!

FYI, someone on the forum here had mentioned making a jury-rigged breaker adapter (but I can't find the post at the moment). I was inspired, so I actually made one. :lol:

Note that due to safety concerns, we will NOT be selling this one - and you should NOT attempt to make one yourself unless you're comfortable working with 240v in a breaker box...

5583887825_ba670fd106_z.jpg

when wiring the CS6365 plug adaptor, does one connect the ground wire from the EVSE to the W-neutral pin or to the G-ground terminal (no pin). My take is to the W-neutral pin. is this correct?

You should connect it to the ground. The only time you would connect it to neutral is if there were no ground available, such as when wiring for a 10-30 or 10-50 plug.

GeekEV said:
FYI, someone on the forum here had mentioned making a jury-rigged breaker adapter (but I can't find the post at the moment). I was inspired, so I actually made one. :lol:

Note that due to safety concerns, we will NOT be selling this one - and you should NOT attempt to make one yourself unless you're comfortable working with 240v in a breaker box...

l620_breaker_adapter.jpg

That was me! Yes, something that definitely should not be tried if you're not comfortable with digging around in live electrical panels!

mwalsh said:
GeekEV said:

l620_breaker_adapter.jpg

That was me! Yes, something that definitely should not be tried if you're not comfortable with digging around in live electrical panels!

wouldnt it be easier to turn off the power?

You could do that if you don't mind disconnecting and resetting everything in the house. Removing/inserting a breaker isn't the easiest thing to do if you've never done it before, even with the power off. However, if you DO know what you're doing, it's pretty straight forward and there's no need to turn off the power. It's quite safe if you know how. Since it probably isn't even legal to do this, and the risk of a disaster is too great if you don't know what you're doing, it's definitely not something that should be sold. But, again, if you DO know what you're doing, making and using such a contraption is trivial. :)

Back