what's the oldest LEAF to buy for latest battery tech?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodlez84

I was reading https://www.recurrentauto.com/guides/nissan-leaf:

> For early first generation vehicles, we only have data from 2013 models, which tend to have used ranges around 70 miles. The battery was upgraded in 2014, and models from then through 2018 generally have used ranges between 73 and 176. Nissan LEAFs from 2019 onwards are considered second generation, and the 40 kWh battery versions see used ranges of 110 to 224. For the 62 kWh battery packs, the used range is between 152 and 283 miles.

Is this true? I would like to buy the _oldest_ LEAF with the _newest_ battery tech. This implies that 2011-18 are gen 1, and 2019 onwards are gen 2.

So the answer to the question would be 2019? Or it more complicated than that?

Much appreciated 🙏

For used car buying: get the latest model possible (has the latest upgrades and improvements) at the lowest price (that fits within your budget). Batteries have a limited shelf life so newer is better.

I'm guessing it's difficult to be confident about battery life. I have the impression that the longevity can vary quite a bit. My Leaf is 2018 with a 40kWh battery. I bought it second-hand in 2020 and the battery was in top condition then, and still was at the recent service. The furthest I've driven on a single charge is 145 miles and was left with 7% charge but this was in May 2022. In winter I wouldn't expect more than 100 miles.
Charging is a mix of 7kW on a home charger, and around 45kW on long journeys.
I've heard of a Leaf used as a taxi with its original battery still in good condition after 400,00 miles. This is probably exceptional!
I wonder how many different battery manufacturing plants Nissan have used over the years, and how their products compare?

For used car buying: get the latest model possible (has the latest upgrades and improvements) at the lowest price (that fits within your budget). Batteries have a limited shelf life so newer is better.
Only replying to agree. For some reason “likes” aren’t appearing for me.

I was reading https://www.recurrentauto.com/guides/nissan-leaf:

> For early first generation vehicles, we only have data from 2013 models, which tend to have used ranges around 70 miles. The battery was upgraded in 2014, and models from then through 2018 generally have used ranges between 73 and 176. Nissan LEAFs from 2019 onwards are considered second generation, and the 40 kWh battery versions see used ranges of 110 to 224. For the 62 kWh battery packs, the used range is between 152 and 283 miles.

Is this true? I would like to buy the _oldest_ LEAF with the _newest_ battery tech. This implies that 2011-18 are gen 1, and 2019 onwards are gen 2.

So the answer to the question would be 2019? Or it more complicated than that?

Much appreciated 🙏
2018 model year in the USA is the second generation Leaf, major styling changes and 40 kWh battery were introduced, so to your question, 2018 is the oldest Leaf to consider for Gen 2. Beyond that, you'll need to determine the high voltage battery's state-of-health, (SOH) by either driving it for your desired range or getting a hold of Leaf Spy (Pro) to determine it's SOH.

Last edited:
I would like to buy the _oldest_ LEAF with the _newest_ battery tech. This implies that 2011-18 are gen 1, and 2019 onwards are gen 2.
Actually the '11 through '17 LEAF is considered generation 1 and the '18 through '24 LEAF is considered generation 2. However, that is really tied to the upgraded body style and tells you little about battery tech. The LEAF has gone through a number of changes in battery chemistry and internal configuration during its production history. The MyLeaf member LeftieBiker has developed a LEAF buyers guide which has a useful discussion of the characteristics of various battery designs which you might find interesting. However, when you are shopping for older LEAFs battery condition is everything. The best battery Nissan ever used won't help you if the car you are looking at has a long history of hard use and abuse, especially in an extreme climate. That is why you see so much discussion here about the use of LeafSpy to determine battery SOH and presence of weak cells.

Going by Nissan terminology, there are four ways of differentiating generations:

- By model year, pretty useless
- By Nissan generation. Gen1 is the 24kWh with white interior and charger in the boot, gen2 is the later 24kWh, gen3 is 30kWh, gen4 is the 40kWh right after facelift (110kW motor) and gen5 is the 40/62kWh with 160kW option
- By VIN classification. ZE0 is gen1, AZE0 is gen2/3, ZE1 is gen4/5
- By exterior, i.e. pre-facelift and post-facelift

On this forum, you're best served using the nissan generations or battery size.

Actually the '11 through '17 LEAF is considered generation 1 and the '18 through '24 LEAF is considered generation 2. However, that is really tied to the upgraded body style and tells you little about battery tech. The LEAF has gone through a number of changes in battery chemistry and internal configuration during its production history. The MyLeaf member LeftieBiker has developed a LEAF buyers guide which has a useful discussion of the characteristics of various battery designs which you might find interesting. However, when you are shopping for older LEAFs battery condition is everything. The best battery Nissan ever used won't help you if the car you are looking at has a long history of hard use and abuse, especially in an extreme climate. That is why you see so much discussion here about the use of LeafSpy to determine battery SOH and presence of weak cells.
My Gen2 Leaf has a Gen3 40kWh battery. the battery packs are compatible (with various aftermarket parts being required) across all years of the Leaf. i also have Gen3 wheels. My Car was refurbished by a small business, used as their personal car for a bit, and then i bought it and they shipped it to my house.

so if you dont mind finding a place to replace the battery (theres a website for this), you can buy any Leaf.

Last edited:
Back