EVSE Plug Adaptors, Cords and Modifications Info

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeekEV said:
You could do that if you don't mind disconnecting and resetting everything in the house. Removing/inserting a breaker isn't the easiest thing to do if you've never done it before, even with the power off. However, if you DO know what you're doing, it's pretty straight forward and there's no need to turn off the power. It's quite safe if you know how.
That's not actually true, there is a risk of arc-flash if done live. For example, the insertion pressure could break the insulator separating the bus from the metal enclosure, causing a short. Not worth it.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
GeekEV said:
You could do that if you don't mind disconnecting and resetting everything in the house. Removing/inserting a breaker isn't the easiest thing to do if you've never done it before, even with the power off. However, if you DO know what you're doing, it's pretty straight forward and there's no need to turn off the power. It's quite safe if you know how.
That's not actually true, there is a risk of arc-flash if done live. For example, the insertion pressure could break the insulator separating the bus from the metal enclosure, causing a short. Not worth it.
If it does (your main breaker will trip) - you've got much bigger problems - time for a new service panel.

drees said:
If it does (your main breaker will trip) - you've got much bigger problems - time for a new service panel.
Arc flash will hurt you during the time that it takes your main breaker to trip.

Wayne

Several people have asked about the 14-50 (and 14-30/14-60) adapter:

pic

It's using the Camco Power-Grip plug, but with the removed neutral pin.

It fits the NEMA 14-50, 14-30, and 14-60 outlets with no modifications.

We are not selling this adapter, but you can easily make one yourself.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Several people have asked about the 14-50 (and 14-30/14-60) adapter:

pic

It's using the Camco Power-Grip plug, but with the removed neutral pin.

It fits the NEMA 14-50, 14-30, and 14-60 outlets with no modifications.

We are not selling this adapter, but you can easily make one yourself.

-Phil
Nice! :D This will probably be the most used --and useful-- adaptor. And that's prudent to use a safer PowerGrip plug. I opine that GeekEV's brother should install those on the adaptors he is selling (thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3085).

Because of the extremely limited volumes so far, it isn't cost effective to maintain an inventory. All parts for the adapters are purchased and assembled as orders come in. As such, for the moment anyway, we can only use what we find in local hardware stores. Who knows what the future will bring.

jwatte said:
Uhh...

Wow...

You've got to be pretty desperate, huh? :)
That's an adapter of last resort, for sure. You really don't want to go messing around in a breaker box unnecessarily. :lol:

1111.jpg

If this is something you choose to do, make sure your connections to the breaker are made first, before you attach it to the bus bar. And further make sure the breaker is in the "off" position. Also, if you leave the panel energized, be especially careful when you make your ground connection that the ground wire, your hands, or the screwdriver blade do not come into contact with the bus bar in any way.

For the ground I put a sufficiently large enough alligator clip so I can just clip it on the ground terminal. No fuss, no screwdriver. :D

Here is my "connectivity kit". I started this kit 4 years ago when I got my first EV. I based it off of advice/samples on evnut.com (thanks Darell). If I were starting a new kit today for the Leaf, it would be a little different.
20110601%20019.JPG

I can plug my portable EVSE upgrade into any type of 240V outlet that I have come across.

By the way, you can trim the ground pin on your NEMA 10-50 so it will also fit the 10-30, this will save you an adapter.

Nate

* DISCLAIMER * DISCLAIMER * DISCLAIMER *
I do not recommend that you do anything like this. Just use UL listed EVSEs and be happy and safe.
garygid said:
What is the top, left adapter? Or, maybe list the plugs on each? Thanks!
20110601%20019.JPG

I chose L14-30 as my standard when I had the 30A Magne Charger for my electric Chevy S10. So most of the adapters convert to a L14-30 plug.

From the top left:
1) This is a non-NEMA plug, it is 3 pole, 4 wire, 50A, 250VDC/600VAC. This is the connector that a local EVSE company was using to test their charging stations. I helped them and they gave me this adapter to use so I could plug directly into their temporary power source at their office and bypass the EVSE since it was in Beta and often not working.
2) NEMA 14-50: this one is common in RV parks and for electric cooking ranges. This is the one that I use the most.
3) and #5 are NEMA 10-20 and 10-30 respectively. These are used for electric clothes dryers from 1947 to 1996. Useful if you are plugging in at a friend's house that was built in that era. As nater pointed out, I could modify one of these so it would work in all NEMA 10-XX receptacles. I just didn't the idea of hacking it.
4) NEMA 14-30: This is the modern (1997-present) electric dryer outlet. I thought I had my kit complete and then I went to a friend's house and none of my adapters fit his dryer outlet. A quick trip to the nearby Home Depot and I was soon charging up. Again, I could have modified #2 to make a NEMA 14-XX but I just want more adapters I guess :)
5) see #3
6) This is a L6-20 to L14-30. This adapter allows me to use the EVSE upgrade with my existing adapters.
7) The level 1 pigtail that comes with the EVSE upgrade.

Moving to the top right:
1) Quick 220 20A with 15A pigtails.
2) J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adapter. I needed this so I could plug my Magne Charger into the J1772 stations. Now that I have sold my truck, I should be able to sell this too.
3) L6-20 to L14-30 like #6 above, but different gender so the Quick 220 can work w/ my adapters.
4) At the bottom is the rev 2 EVSE upgrade.

When I had the electric truck, guerilla charging was ... more necessarily. Now that, one, I have a longer range and, B, J1772 stations are being put in all over the place in my region, I am less likely to use these.

If I were building a kit like this today for the Leaf, L6-20 would be my default connector. The EVSE and the Quick 220 (not to be used together) both have L6-20 as their connector. This would eliminate the need for #6 on first list and #3 on the 2nd list. This would also make my long cord (not shown) lighter/cheaper too.

Back