EVOasis DC Charging Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eHelmholtz said:
It looks like Angus has it set at $15 an hour and $7.50 for 30 minutes. The first 30 minutes will be faster charge so that's where I should think you get the most for your money. This is a bit more expensive then what he thought when I first posted about EVOasis since the current DCQCs are half as strong to avoid demand charges but still not bad.

30 minutes the lowest? is there a 15 minute rate?

This is the 1st DC Charger on the ChargePoint network and I think one of the 1st using Version 4.0 of the ChargePoint software. Usage is "on me" at the moment as we work through the "bugs", so be patient (read gentle) as we sort out any issues :ugeek: We're having a Launch party on Saturday, November 17th from 2PM-??? at the San Juan Cap Residence Marriott, so I hope to see you there. I agree, it is non-intuitive to "TapOut" when the session is done. Note: on the screen you can set session by time duration or desired Kw state. We have charged approximately 45 cars since we went "live" on Halloween at 4PM. No doubt we will have a few glitches still and once we have "sampled" a couple hundred sessions, we'll begin to get our heads around any systemic issues. I have not put additional instruction stickers on the unit yet. Both blue-lined Spaces can be reached by the charging cable and hotel staff will notify and/or tow any non-electric's found "air-charging".
As to the issue of Demand Fees from SDG&E; running at 25Kw does not eliminate them entirely. We are profiling the hotel energy demand and will either de-rate the unit at certain times or take other measures to keep the cost borne by drivers, as reasonable as possible. We will set Peak and Off-Peak tariffs and will advise on these Levels and rates as we develop the final Rate Card data. The Rates will be published on the unit via means of a sticker. We will also cross-register Marriott Rewards numbers and will begin a Points Program to track and reward our "frequent-fryers". :lol:
I'll let everyone know more about all these items and issues as we get further into the process. In the meantime-enjoy and don't forget, like the UFC...to TapOut :idea:

br14n22 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware :(

how-to-draw-eeyore-tutorial-drawing.jpg

Eore no more
:D

It was nice meeting some of the people from LA and OC who had previously been just faceless login names on MNL. We should have prepared name badges though. The Fuji rep (I'm terrible with names) was very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm not the only one surprised to find that the 24 kW Fuji charger delivers almost the same "typical" charge in 30 minutes as does a 49 kW charger which costs twice as much in demand fees and is much more expensive to install. Apparently the faster charger usually ramps down to around 24 kW within 5-7 minutes anyway.

The gentleman from Mitsubishi was there, who was responsible not only for the second quick charger in North America (Cypress) but also the first (Vacaville). I was especially happy to see the gentleman from Nissan corporate (third curses on my poor memory for names), showing that at least someone in Nissan recognizes the importance of quick charging. Several of us expressed our opinions that the most important thing that could help Nissan sell more Leafs would be development of a viable quick charging infrastructure, so range anxiety instead of being a first order purchase blocking issue, would become a second order cost issue. Of course he couldn't say anything on Nissan's behalf, but it did feel to me like preaching to the choir.

With the success of this station I believe EVoasis, Marriott, and Fuji will open more stations along this north south route, facilitating regional EV travel. "Success" I think will mean that people continue to charge there even after EVoasis begins charging fees. Those fees will be much higher than charging at home overnight. But what's better? Driving a gas burner capable of long range driving and paying high costs per mile every day of the year? Or driving an EV and paying high costs per mile only on those few days when you need long range driving?

Cheers to Angus and EVoasis for connecting LA metro with SD metro.

With the success of this station I believe EVoasis, Marriott, and Fuji will open more stations along this north south route, facilitating regional EV travel.
Any chance that Marriott would do this nation wide ?

Thanks to everyone who came to the Residence Inn launch in San Juan Capistrano!
As of today (11-30), we have delivered a total of 804 kWh in 149 Charging Sessions.
Was hoping to break 1MW for the month but we got 80% of the way, which isn't bad for the first month of availability. More LA and OC sites coming soon...Cheers Angus:)

Hi Angus. Thanks for hosting a nice launch event a few wks back.

We used the Fuji DC QC one weekend to do a nice loop from Irvine,
to Huntington Beach, to SJC via PCH, and then back home the "back way"
through the Santiago Canyon Road. The SJC QC made this trip a breeze. :p

When do you expect to start charging for this DC QC?

We would be more than happy to help you reach 1 MW in December! :D

DaveinOlyWA said:
eHelmholtz said:
It looks like Angus has it set at $15 an hour and $7.50 for 30 minutes. The first 30 minutes will be faster charge so that's where I should think you get the most for your money. This is a bit more expensive then what he thought when I first posted about EVOasis since the current DCQCs are half as strong to avoid demand charges but still not bad.

30 minutes the lowest? is there a 15 minute rate?
I'd bet the reason there's no 15 minute rate is because folks could 'game-it' too easily. Plug in as near empty as possible, which gives the least throttle back effect, then finish up accross the street at the Nissan dealership. ;)

mwalsh said:
Interview with Angus in today's OC Register:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/charging-380062-electric-clark.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice article. problem is charging stations should be reclassified as public utilities. then they can bill by the Kwh. After all, changing the current PUD rules is a much tougher job apparently, so if you cant beat them, join them.

bill a processing fee of $7.49 a month per vehicle (that is my "connect" charge here, yours may vary) and then bill the applicable rates for the area.

now, this will require a bit of logistical challenge and "roaming" rates will apply initially due to people traveling outside their local utility but this also removes the "profit" question and puts the cost and bill collection management issue into a company that already has extensive experience doing so.

right now I enjoy free charging from both AV and Blink simply because they have not figured out the billing process. I am pretty sure its not due to their generosity

DaveinOlyWA said:
problem is charging stations should be reclassified as public utilities
I strongly disagree with this. There's a lot of... baggage... that comes along with being a utility. In CA one *can* bill by the kWh. Just make it legal to sell by the kWh and be done with it.

JeremyW said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
problem is charging stations should be reclassified as public utilities
I strongly disagree with this. There's a lot of... baggage... that comes along with being a utility. In CA one *can* bill by the kWh. Just make it legal to sell by the kWh and be done with it.

doing that sounds good but the problem is that it adds another hand to feed in the process. allow Charging station companies to buy power directly from the grid and then maybe but that is much less likely to happen.

in my area, most cities and counties have chosen to form their PUD mostly due to 2 reasons

level of service provided locally

restrictive payments, rules, regs, and profit models not conducive to the area being served.

So major cities in WA have their own public utility which has resulted in lower rates and better service and less down time after storms. Seems it would be a no brainer to provide charging stations and bill them for the service.

either way, in the long run; the more options available the better off we will be. I dont think no one at this point can say with any level of certainty what the "best" way to go will be.

I feel that there will be many options and "city run" services will be one of many that will be managed and run like parking meters. Also like parking meters, there are private ones that co-exist with the city ones.

DaveinOlyWA said:
So major cities in WA have their own public utility which has resulted in lower rates and better service and less down time after storms. Seems it would be a no brainer to provide charging stations and bill them for the service.

either way, in the long run; the more options available the better off we will be. I dont think no one at this point can say with any level of certainty what the "best" way to go will be.

I feel that there will be many options and "city run" services will be one of many that will be managed and run like parking meters. Also like parking meters, there are private ones that co-exist with the city ones.

Now this I agree with. Muni's can and do own charging infrastructure. I just don't think the charging stations should be a separate utility.

I've been bugging Sacramento Municipal Utility District (our electric provider) to put in in some quick chargers since they are exempt from the CPUC ruling that investor owned utilities can't own public charging infrastructure. The NRG settlement does not cover this area. Progress is slow. They are apparently "looking into it." :(

Oh California... so many leafs, so few quick chargers. :roll:

what i think is really at work is big oil is working behind the scenes to slow this process down.

what they hope is small independent companies will put out the chargers, collect the membership info, get the billing structure in place, then fail due to slow uptake by the public which allows someone with a bundle of cash lying around to buy them up at pennies on a dollar...

On December 14 said:
EV Oasis is installing DC Charging Stations starting in southern California and will have the first units up-and-running in January in San Juan Capistrano, Del Mar and Encinitas. The rates, I would say, are quite reasonable. There are several monthly plans as well as an option for pay per use.
The $89/month basic plan gets you 300kWh per month. For people who charge occasionally it's $6-7 for 20kWh (30 minutes) without monthly membership charge which I think is rather reasonable - similar to higher tiered SDG&E rates! http://www.evoasis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks like this is finally a reality - albeit a year later and at greater cost than anticipated. Still, it's nice to have. Angus has set rates. See below:

Evoasis said:
We will be turning-on the tariff system at the end of next week (12/15) at our Residence Inn (or "Turtle-Inn"), San Juan Capistrano beginning next Saturday. We have recorded 253 charging sessions in the 34 days that have elapsed since the November 4th ChargePoint activation. Thanks to all of you who have visited, and I hope this has and will continue to make your inter-county trips a little easier and more enjoyable:)
Note we have set On-Peak $20 (100%) or $15 (100%) Off-Peak Tariffs initially. Off-Peak runs from 701PM to 1059AM every day. Usage has been pretty well spread throughout the day and we are only running at 20% of maximum session capacity for the 7AM-10PM traffic window.
Note you can set the Quick-Charge session to charge by minute, by % of battery state or by kWh. Just hit the Advanced Icon on the touch-screen and enter preference. No Peak session will incur a $20 charge as the unit will only achieve high 90% level.
Average time-on-station has been 29 minutes with an average load-up of 12.5kWh
Average cost will be $8.50 On-Peak and $6.00 Off-Peak. We will lower the price to $15 (Peak) and $10 (Off-Peak) when we begin to average at least 2 MW/Month. To date we have delivered just over 1.2 MW.
Warning: If anyone gets a "red screen" fault message on the EVSE unit, make sure the car is turned off and hold the "green" (I know; it's counter-intuitive) Stop Charging button down for 3-4 seconds and it should reset the EVQC. This has only happened twice in 230+ charging sessions but under no circumstances should you hit the Emergency Stop (Red) Button which requires breaking the glass cover to activate. Unless of course there is a fire in the vehicle...
One of our drivers has done this already and we have taken his car away and hidden it in a shed;)
He will get it back at our 1st Anniversary Party which is Halloween 2013, so you have been warned:) At the very least we will paint your car with Zebra Stripes and Make you "Pledge" for the San Juan Capistrano Volunteer Fire Brigade, which isn't as fun as it sounds!
Happy Holidays to all and we'll see you at the "Turtle-Inn".

Thanks for setting up this quick charger in San Juan capistrano. I hope to use this in 2013 going from National City/San Diego to visit family in L .A. And will be happy to pay your established rates.

I tried going to your website, but my iPad does not use Flash.

So, sorry if I missed this earlier, but how do I actually pay. Is there a credit card reader? Do get a EVoasis card activator that is tied to a credit card? Or pay at the front desk of the hotel?

Thanks for your help.

Back