San Juan Capistrano DC Quick Charger is broken!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

For those of you that are interested, the DC Quick Charger at 33711 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, California 92675 is not operational. It was not working on 2/11 and I checked it again on 2/13. All it is doing is flashing the screen red and says "Emergency Stop. Please contact manufacturer to reset." Chargepoint says everything shows operational on there end and they cannot get it to reset.

Darren said:
For those of you that are interested, the DC Quick Charger at 33711 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, California 92675 is not operational. It was not working on 2/11 and I checked it again on 2/13. All it is doing is flashing the screen red and says "Emergency Stop. Please contact manufacturer to reset." Chargepoint says everything shows operational on there end and they cannot get it to reset.

Did you try the front desk at the hotel to see if they could reset it?

I'll let the owner know about this (I just met with him a few hours ago, and no mention of this unit not working).

I did not try the front that is a good idea but I am guessing someone at the hotel knows about it as yesterday the cones were blocking the parking spaces.

Will you let know what the owner says as there does not seem to be a great way to find out if it is working or not other than by driving by it and looking at the screen?

Darren said:
I did not try the front that is a good idea but I am guessing someone at the hotel knows about it as yesterday the cones were blocking the parking spaces.

Will you let know what the owner says as there does not seem to be a great way to find out if it is working or not other than by driving by it and looking at the screen?

If ChargePoint can't see it broken, and no driver reports it broken, I doubt the hotel staff will have a big desire to arbitrarily go out and see if it works.

If anybody finds it not working, please report it to the front desk.

I guess I should have reported it to the front desk but I was so caught up in the fact of how I was going to charge so I could get home that I wasn't thinking that the hotel was affiliated with it other than allowing it to be put on their ground.

Sounds like from the description that perhaps the Emergency Stop button had been pressed?

Angus told me that this has happened several times and that even the glass cover had been broken for someone to press the emergency stop button. He said he had some wording placed on the cover to warn people not to use that button since it takes some work to reactivate the charger....Did anyone notice if the cover had been broken on the emergency stop button this time around?

Sounds like someone may be doing it deliberately if that's the case. I'll contact Angus and see what he knows....

Interesting you would mention the emergency stop button. There is a glass cover over the red button. While I was trying to figure out if there was anyway to get the thing to work, I noticed that the glass cover was not quite on right. Upon closer inspection it almost seemed like somebody had removed it, pushed the button and then maneuvered it back into place so no one would notice. I am not a conspiracy theorist and maybe I am completely off base, but I couldn't come up with another explanation.

Darren said:

My point is that if you don't report it, and it doesn't work, and ChargePoint thinks everything is rosy, then it probably won't get fixed.

Yes, the front desk has virtually nothing to do with the operation, however they know who to call if you complain.

TonyWilliams said:
Darren said:

My point is that if you don't report it, and it doesn't work, and ChargePoint thinks everything is rosy, then it probably won't get fixed.

Yes, the front desk has virtually nothing to do with the operation, however they know who to call if you complain.

I completely understand. I admit that I was probably being lazy in not reporting it on Monday morning, I was quite distracted that morning and being that Chargepoint told me at CES that it was being used 10 times a day, I figured someone else would know how to report it. It wasn't until I stopped back by on Wednesday and realized it was still not working, that I jumped on here to try and let others know and figure out how to get it fixed/reported.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Unit was reset on 2/14/13 at 0900 and is working fine at the moment.
Someone popped the plastic window and activated the Emergency Stop button again. For some reason the Chargepoint Box didn't detect the fault this time. We're looking into this.
Also we are going to put additional graphics showing how to reset the unit (hold Stop Charging button down for 3 seconds) with pictures and text on the left side of the cabinet.
We are checking swipe card numbers to see if the failures correspond to a certain registered user in each case, or these are random events.
It may be time for a camera at SJC-Pictures of "Perp" may be posted on MNL :oops:
Angus-

Thanks for the update, Angus. Bummer that someone seems to be out to "break" things.

When/where's the next station going in?

Back