EVOasis DC Charging Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lkkms2 said:
So, sorry if I missed this earlier, but how do I actually pay. Is there a credit card reader? Do get a EVoasis card activator that is tied to a credit card? Or pay at the front desk of the hotel?

Thanks for your help.

The unit is billed through Chrargepoint. You'll need to get one of their cards and set-up a billing method. I believe Chargepoint cards are actually available at the Front Desk of the hotel, if you don't have time to get one from Chargepoint. And I think you can give them a credit card number over the phone for per-instance charging, if you don't have time to set up billing either.

We used our Chargepoint card at the SJC quick charger yesterday on our way home from Oceanside. This QC, combined with the Blink QC at the AQMD in Diamond Bar and L2 charging in various locations, made it possible for us to drive about 270 miles in one day, all as planned. My wife and kids were up for the adventure of a long EV drive rather than "just taking the Prius". :)

Thank you, Angus, for the excellent planning and installation of this QC!

As for the details of our use in SJC, we pulled up with 27% on the SOC/GID meter and left with 67%. I think it took 25 or 30 minutes. On that charge, we were able to make it to the Diamond Bar QC just before hitting the "low battery" warning at 17.7%.

Have seen mention of EVOasis on a few sites very recently. Google a google search had this thread pop up. Tony gave an update recently (I now have a better understanding where his DC pa$$ion comes from(CTO)):

http://insideevs.com/chademo-reports-2501-charging-stations-worldwid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony Williams
April 9, 2013 at 4:37 pm
First, the rate at the EVOasis / ChargePoint charger at San Juan Capistrano is EXACTLY the same rate as the NRG / EVgo negotiated deal with the state of California; $10 per hour off-peak, $15 per hour peak.

What’s different is that the minimum fee for theNRG / EVgo deal is $7, while the SJC site is charged by the minute with no $7 minimum. No other DC charger that I’m aware of charges by the minute. BTW, that unit has already gone over 500 charge events and is one of the busiest DC chargers in the country. Clearly, this charging location can’t and won’t compete with free, nor was this charger provided for free, nor installed for free.

If you think all the Nissan dealers are going to give away the CHAdeMo charges forever, I beg to differ. What will happen is that any free charger will get bombarded with folks while the nearby “fee” units get less. The Nissan dealers will get wise quickly that giving away several dollars worth of electrical power to everybody who lines up for freebies is not good for their bottom line. I think Connell Nissan in Orange County (who got one of the “free” Nissan / Sumitomo CHAdeMO chargers) will charge $5 per charge.

There are several CHAdeMO projects coming to San Diego county, including the Ecotality Blink / Kroger deal (Food 4 Less, Ralph’s, Alpha Beta). There are four 7-11 stores getting units funded by state money, several more privately funded EVOasis units, and 20 units from NRG/EVgo over 4 years.

Sadly, not one of the 8 Nissan dealerships accepted the “free” Nissan / Sumitomo chargers.

Full disclosure, I’m CTO of EVOasis.
Tony

scottf200 said:
... where his DC pa$$ion comes from(CTO) ...
A little low, don't you think, making it look like Tony only cares about money when it comes to DC charging?

A few thoughts before you jump to conclusions:

1. I highly doubt Tony is making much if any money right now working for EVoasis.
2. Tony has been interested in DC charging for much longer than the time he's worked for EVoasis.
3. Tony has spent quite a bit of his own money evangelizing EVs and working to get DC charging infrastructure installed, even now when it would compete directly with EVoasis.

drees said:
scottf200 said:
A little low, don't you think, making it look like Tony only cares about money when it comes to DC charging?
I think you may be partially right. Thanks for the additional info. His motivations and various rants are not perfectly clear. I've seen him go off on people on several sites recently. I certainly don't think it is entirely altruistic. Maybe a little fame. Maybe a little fortune as the saying goes. I have appreciated his testing efforts and methods as I've pointed out.

scottf200 said:
Have seen mention of EVOasis on a few sites very recently. Google a google search had this thread pop up. Tony gave an update recently (I now have a better understanding where his DC pa$$ion comes from(CTO)):

Ya, nice idiotic attack.

I've been pushing DC charging ever since I got my first LEAF two years ago. You'll also be able to google the multitude of posts I've made here on the subject over the past two years. Making money off these things is so far out there that virtually NOBODY gets in this business without government handouts.

drees said:
scottf200 said:

A few thoughts before you jump to conclusions:

1. I highly doubt Tony is making much if any money right now working for EVoasis.
2. Tony has been interested in DC charging for much longer than the time he's worked for EVoasis.
3. Tony has spent quite a bit of his own money evangelizing EVs and working to get DC charging infrastructure installed, even now when it would compete directly with EVoasis.

Thanks, Dave, for staing the obvious. My salary, tips and other compensation is $0.00.

TonyWilliams said:
Thanks, Dave, for stating the obvious. My salary, tips and other compensation is $0.00.
No problem - unfortunately and apparently it's not as obvious as you and I think - and thank you for being so up front about everything.

I certainly wish that it were profitable enough that you were getting paid something decent - if that were the case then we might have DCQC stations popping up all over the place instead of having a deployment that's inadequate at best.

Anyway, back on topic - have any insight you can share on when/where the next Evoasis QC station will be going in?

The Fast Charging Plaza in Encinitas sounds interesting and would let me top-up quickly when I get home near empty and need to leave again quickly - hopefully it goes through, but I can't imagine anything getting done/installed in any period of time shorter than 1 year despite the city council's enthusiasm (the topic got the most enthusiastic response from the council members which was a good sign).

drees said:
The Fast Charging Plaza in Encinitas sounds interesting and would let me top-up quickly when I get home near empty and need to leave again quickly - hopefully it goes through, but I can't imagine anything getting done/installed in any period of time shorter than 1 year despite the city council's enthusiasm (the topic got the most enthusiastic response from the council members which was a good sign).

I too would love to see a DCQC in Encinitas. Actually, I'd prefer it next door in Carlsbad, but I'll take what I can get! ;)

TonyWilliams said:
scottf200 said:

Ya, nice idiotic attack.

I've been pushing DC charging ever since I got my first LEAF two years ago. You'll also be able to google the multitude of posts I've made here on the subject over the past two years. Making money off these things is so far out there that virtually NOBODY gets in this business without government handouts.
The irony is, scott has been an advocate here and there, and gotten similarly 'judged' ... and one would think after walking that mile in his shoes, he'd 'get it'. wow.

drees said:
Anyway, back on topic - have any insight you can share on when/where the next Evoasis QC station will be going in?

I have no idea how long this might take!!! Probably sooner, than later, however. The next place, not sure. Several in the works.

http://thecoastnews.com/2013/04/ambitious-ev-charging-plaza-picks-up-speed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://electric-bmw.blogspot.com/2013/04/ultra-fast-coolness.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
Going to need the SJC charger twice next weekend - once on the way down to SD and then again on the way back. I assume all is well with it?

Any more news on the proposed one in Encinitas?

Well, apparently the SJC charger has a tendency to not bill you !!!

ChargePoint is looking into that.

Encinitas is still on track for this winter.

Just to clarify, Tony...You mean that sometimes it doesn't register a billing event on your Chargepoint account. The charging station performs the electrical charging functions just fine...

mwalsh said:
Going to need the SJC charger twice next weekend - once on the way down to SD and then again on the way back. I assume all is well with it?
I charged today and it worked fine as usual. If the $ don't show up on my Charge point account I guess I'll just send Angus a PayPal.

Comment from my passenger, somewhat new to EV, was that by the time we had checked our email the charge was done.

Randy said:
Just to clarify, Tony...You mean that sometimes it doesn't register a billing event on your Chargepoint account. The charging station performs the electrical charging functions just fine...

Correct. The charger always works unless there was an Emergency stop done, in which case the unit can be reset by cycling the main power disconnect on the wall.

It frequently doesn't bill properly.

I used it again yesterday and again it worked fine and the hotel lobby and staff were again very pleasant. I checked my Chargepoint account and I did get billed, so they've fixed the charging for charging problem.

Some people complain QC prices are too high. I did pay $0.76/kWh for EVoasis. I also paid Blink $0.45/kWh for a partial hour charge on my trip, whereas at home I pay SDG&E 0.076/kWh overnight. My whole little road trip was 229 miles for which I paid a total of $17.63. Had EVoasis not been there I would have had to take the gasoline car and paid $38.17.

To match the Leaf cost I would have had to driven a gas car getting 52 MPG, with which I could as Tony says, Just-Drive-The-Prius. I suppose a current Prius could do it and would be a good alternative if you had one. But I never got that mileage when I drove a gen 2 Prius. Either I was on the highway getting lower highway MPG where a hybrid drive system is of little use; or I was on city streets making trips too short to warm up the engine and get the highest mileage - the kind of driving at which an EV excels.

Back