EVOasis DC Charging Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Oasis, i wish you all the luck and success you deserve! time will tell how deserving you are.

for time of use complaints; the situation is someone topping off and forcing someone who may be more needy to wait. AFAIK; it should be time taken and if were in business i would do it no other way. think about other allotment contracted businesses. one could lose significant revenue if most of the charger time was taken by toppers if charged by the KW.

i can get unlimited messaging (we use about 20,000 a month) on 5 cellphones for $30 a month or pay 20 cents per message ala carte.

but if i used only 100 messages this month, do i get a $10 refund for difference in unlimted verses ala carte? no, i dont and would not expect it.

all in all; QC provides convenience and does it by the time taken. a lot of people complain about the 20 minute charge time and say it wont be accepted until we get it 6 minutes which seems to be the goal of everyone. i can live with 20 minutes. no problem.

right now, when i am downtown on errands i will stop off at a station, plug in and pre heat the Leaf (cheap I am I am!) which takes about 7 minutes to warm up. i will normally sit another 5-10 minutes anyway making my time parked 20 minutes or more. its really not that long. i use the time to check email (i guess if you dont carry a smartphone or tablet it might be a bit boring) review recent posts here, there, etc. i usually still have things to check on when its time for me to leave. its also a great thing to do while killing time between appointments!!

P.S. Oasis; great that you are targeting ala carte QC at $6-7 but have to think that you would have to rely on concession sales to make that work. i would gladly pay $10 if you are wondering

Speak for yourself spending a Hamilton for a quick charge... A Lincoln and maybe an extra crumpled Washington in my pocket, max... :ugeek:

TangoKilo said:
Speak for yourself spending a Hamilton for a quick charge... A Lincoln and maybe an extra crumpled Washington in my pocket, max... :ugeek:

i can assure I, as always, am speaking for myself! $10 is waay less than the average driver would pay for the same amount of gas and its only slightly more than what it would cost me to gas up the Prius for the same. but add the other costs associated with ICE option and i find that $10 is a bargain

but then again, i would prefer something along the lines of .40-.50 a minute

GeekEV said:
How do we get some of these in NorCal? :shock:
Move!
(I'll let you know when one of our condos is available :D )
DaveinOlyWA said:
Oasis, i wish you all the luck and success you deserve! time will tell how deserving you are.

for time of use complaints; the situation is someone topping off and forcing someone who may be more needy to wait. AFAIK; it should be time taken and if were in business i would do it no other way. think about other allotment contracted businesses. one could lose significant revenue if most of the charger time was taken by toppers if charged by the KW. ................snip
Dave, I'll bet they incorporate web enabled ability to reserve time slots, if you don't want to just show up and hope for the best. My use on the Mitsubishi quick charger went great, even though I did each one for less then 15 minutes. I imagine many might simply want a time slot for under 20 minutes. If one's life is so compressed that you can't let 15 or 20 minutes slip away, well, it may be time to re-evaluate things.
That especially goes for me. :?

Hey - HERE's a slick idea. What say I get a monthly rate card, and I lend it out a lot. Anyone want to rent space on my card?
:mrgreen:

From the website description it almost sounds like they want to set up a club like atmosphere where hanging out would be a close secondary reason to be there. Starbucks should take notice!

TangoKilo said:
i would gladly pay $10 if you are wondering

I honestly don't have any idea how they cannot lose their *ss at these rates. To say that current LEAF drivers, collectively, are cheap would be an understatement :p Hopefully, when the non-early adopter, mass population, finally gets EV's, a more logical acceptance of charging will prevail.

I predict that as gasoline goes to $5-$10/gal, mainstream future EV drivers will gladly pay more for a charge that is still ridiculously cheaper than driving an ICE. If the QC infrastructure can't make a profit, it won't be around long term. I would like to use an electric car much like I use a gas car.

For the "I will only charge at home folks", look what SDGE has proposed for solar powered homes... you're one CPUC decision away from a special "surcharge" for home EV charging.

I agree that it its up to us to support public charging options. As money flows to the market this will force utilities too change because lobbyists Erroll start springing out of the woodwork. This will lower the costs too us in the future due to competition. Now how a company gets a leg up its the key to early success and this company is doing it right.
Look Starbucks.are they rich because their coffee its that good? our did they simply make the acct of drinking regular coffee a lot more enjoyable?

Barnes and Noble allows you to read their books without buying them and they make you comfortable while doing it but why? They are in the business of selling books right?
But one thing they found is that they sell book s they would not normally sell when the buyer does not get the chance to be hooked like they might have become while browsing books at Walmart

Niue sure they run the reddish of people using then like a library Abe just getting what they need from the books and moving on but they are still in business despite charging a fortune for their books.but then again, I don't see a lot of people raving about the good deal the y.got Starbucks either

TonyWilliams said:
To say that current LEAF drivers, collectively, are cheap would be an understatement :p
Too true. We are spoiled by how cheap home charging is, and for most of us, the easy availability of an ICE car for longer trips. Someone whose only car is an EV might be less reluctant to pay a premium for charging on the go.

Honestly, if I could only drive one of our cars, it would be the LEAF; we now know that we can make it work. Since purchasing the LEAF eight months ago, I really haven't driven the Prius, except for one long road trip and one drive down to San Diego. (Other members of the family use the Prius regularly.) Exclusively using the LEAF (and renting an ICE car a couple times a year for the longest drives) is do-able, particularly with a DC charging network to support medium distance drives. I do have to qualify this by saying that we personally aren't likely to let go of our older all-wheel-drive car because of the propensity of the California Highway Patrol to require tire chains for 2WD vehicles given the slightest covering of snow/ice on our local mountain roadways, but we aren't motivated to drive it any more than we absolutely have to.

So, despite some kvetching over prices, when push comes to shove, I think we will pay what we have to for the "privilege" of DC fast charging.

Oasis told me that San Juan Cap will be open in about 90 days. WAY cool. We'll be scheduling our next San Diego trip to coincide with its opening.

I don't buy the idea that most LEAF drivers are cheap and unwilling to pay for a fairly-priced Quick Charge. Time has value, and if you can average the cost of Quick Charging into charging at home with PV, an occasional QC is still a value. I consider anything up to around forty cents a minute to be a fair price for a mid-day charge, based on time of use rates for power in Socal.

Aeolus said:
I don't buy the idea that most LEAF drivers are cheap and unwilling to pay for a fairly-priced Quick Charge. Time has value, and if you can average the cost of Quick Charging into charging at home with PV, an occasional QC is still a value.
Yes. I'd consider paid L2 at the destination where I want to go a better deal than free L2 where I don't want to go. But then if I'm deciding between two stores, the one that has free charging and free Wifi is more likely to get my business than the one whose prices are a nickel lower.

Most people initially rebel at high per-kWh prices compared to home charging because it seems so unfair and predatory. If you figure the cost at per-whole-trip prices compared to driving the ICE it seems better. If you figure the cost at per-year prices compared to owning an ICE, better still. Many will be willing to pay "high" prices for QC, whose primary motivation for buying the LEAF was the environment, or national energy and economic security, or being among the first to drive the new century's vehicle.

Quite a few others will not pay these prices in a non-emergency - those who bought a LEAF to save money on operating costs. Still, many people who complain loudly about paying $6 for a charge might be spotted inside EVoasis or Starbucks drinking a $4.75 coffee and eating a $6 pastry while waiting.

We've gone to GREAT restaurants that ultimately folded. We often went, simply to lend support. Some EV'rs will pay for QC's for the same motive . . . to support companies that are willing to take the risk, so that the industry can hopefully gain a toe hold.

edatoakrun said:
The idiocy of the PUC and these utilities concluding that current “demand charges” are appropriate for BEV fueling stations being the best example of this dysfunctional market.
Website says EV Oasis uses "energy storage systems". Maybe they charge at night for lower rates and avoiding demand charges.

I agree that supporting early vendors allows other vendors top see the profit potential. The other thing we need to understand is that we as early adopters have accepted that we are somewhat on the bleeding edge.

But st the same time we are first. We don't read about it, we live it and that is enough for me to put up with the bugs, the delays, the missteps. I Ann striving electric now and waited a long time top get here do no I am not reading for a200 mile car and I am not waiting for a$5 quick charge

smkettner said:
edatoakrun said:
The idiocy of the PUC and these utilities concluding that current “demand charges” are appropriate for BEV fueling stations being the best example of this dysfunctional market.
Website says EV Oasis uses "energy storage systems". Maybe they charge at night for lower rates and avoiding demand charges.

Not that anyone asked me, but I believe that the most efficient and least expensive way for EV charge stations to "outwit" utility demand charges, is by the same method many other businesses already use, with thermal storage, and the HVAC management of a large structure (with large heating/cooling requirements) on the same metered account.

When the BEV fast charger is put into use, rather than run a conventional AC compressor to cool your hotel/office building etc., you pump the heat into an ice sink, such as these:

http://www.ice-energy.com/energy-storage-solutions-for-commercial-buildings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Similarly, in winter you can pump heat into water or another medium, and later withdraw it for your building's heating needs.

Properly controlled, you could level the erratic demand created by one/multiple DC chargers quite a lot, without the huge expenses of battery storage.

Evoasis said:
SD, LA, Orange counties will take precedent in 2012. Drop me an email to [email protected] or via our Contact Form if you would like to be sent an Access Card, which is an RFID/Swipe Card. That will establish your Member # as well should you choose to opt-in to Member pricing at any point.
I have requested my card. I too am hoping Evoasis is more reliable than Blink.

The logic of where best to locate charging would appear to be somewhat different for L2 and L3. For L2, one wants locations that are either destinations in their own right, or convenient stop-over locations where you can profitably spend an hour or more dining, shopping, etc. For L3, the site should be chosen more for range extension than destination, and we don't need more than a restroom, snacks and beverages, wi-fi, etc. Locations near major Interstate intersections might generate good L3 traffic.

Question about L3 and utility demand charges: If the threshold is a short-term peak of 20KW, what happens if the site is a large store that already has frequent usage above this threshold on the same meter? Is there a similar large increment in monthly demand charge for each increment of 20KW, at 40KW, 60KW, etc ? If not, a sub-meter could keep track of the L3's own share of the total usage. In the case of Evoasis, it would appear their business model is more stand-alone, which gives them more flexibility in location selection, similar to a gas station.

Nice response from my request via email for a Evoasis rfid card:

Thanks Thomas,
I will put you in the database to be issued an RFID card which will be mailed in late Jan.
Have a Happy Holiday/New Year season.
First unit for Whole Foods Encinitas in attached pic.

Regards,
Angus Clark-Evoasis
858 509 2973

Encinitas is quite a bit too far from me, but I am sure this site could be useful to plenty of other folks on this forum. It is also nice to see that they are siting it at Whole Foods. Previously the only confirmed Whole Foods charging site (L2) I have seen is at Lafayette, CA, East of Oakland.

EvoasisCharger-L.jpg

Just requested my card as well!

Angus mentioned that there be both membership options as well as pay as you go options, in case anyone was confused about the different payment methods. With the RFID card, you can even create a a custom package depending on your frequency per month!

Sounds pretty good so far. Really excited to see light at the end of the L3 tunnel.

A high res rendering of the Delta unit that EV Oasis can be found here. Looks identical to the pic above.

http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=295007&vid=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back