EVOasis DC Charging Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
look what SDGE has proposed for solar powered homes... you're one CPUC decision away from a special "surcharge" for home EV charging.
I have found comments and threads on the SDGE proposed rate increase, and estimates of net average cost increase, but no details on exactly what tariff increases SDGE is proposing. The only EV surcharge comment I could fine was someone who was contemplating charging his Leaf during peak solar production so the power would not go through SDGE's meter at all. This of course would be silly from a system standpoint - the grid would get less peak power back when it needs it during peak A/C usage.

Right now SCE charges a negative $.0254/kWh delivery charge for on-peak Summer TOU Level 1. In Oct I was charged $2.62 to send 103 kWh to the grid during peak TOU Level 1 (- times - delivery). At Level 2, this delivery charge switches to positive $.314/kWh and I received a credit of $12.56 for generating 40 more kWh. I have no explanation for why the sign changes between Level 1 and Level 2. For both Level 1 and Level 2 the generation charge is a positive $.259/kWh, so I still get a credit for all net generation. If SDGE is proposing a similar modest charge for "reverse delivery" I could live with that.

My understanding is that presently residential solar represents less than 1% of total power generation in CA, and much less nationally, so it would seem that SDGE's concern about being stuck with stranded excess generation and distribution investment is a little premature. Perhaps residential solar is growing at a much higher rate than the state-wide average in SDGE's territory.

I would appreciate any links that give more details on SDGE's proposal, because I was told by a SCE employee that they definitely were thinking along the same lines as SDGE.

tbleakne said:
I would appreciate any links that give more details on SDGE's proposal, because I was told by a SCE employee that they definitely were thinking along the same lines as SDGE.
The whole proceeding is detailed here, including the original SDG&E Application, dated 10/03/2011, on the bottom of the page:
http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/published/proceedings/A1110002.htm
That's more than you want to wade through, probably, so try this for a summary:
http://energycenter.org/index.php/c...sdgae-proposes-new-rates-for-solar-customers-

HTH,
TT

ttweed, thanks for links.

My SCE TOU Net Metering statement has one more clue to what the future may hold for Net Metering in CA. Right now I am given a separate credit or debit for each of 3 TOU periods/day (peak, off-peak, and super-off-peak-EV), 2 seasons/year, 2 levels(tiers)/month, and Delivery, generation-SCE, and generation-DWR. Each of these credit/debits is currently based upon net kWh for the month. However, for information only the statement further separates total kWh for the month for each of the 3 TOU periods into separate Consumption and Net Generation kWh. SCE can keep track of this detail because my TOU meter increments a consumption register whenever my instantaneous usage turns positive. Whenever I am net generating, the consumption register freezes and the production register increments. SCE thus would be able to apply a different price for power flowing in each direction.

eHelmholtz said:
EV Oasis is installing DC Charging Stations starting in southern California and will have the first units up-and-running in January in San Juan Capistrano, Del Mar and Encinitas. The rates, I would say, are quite reasonable. There are several monthly plans as well as an option for pay per use.

The $89/month basic plan gets you 300kWh per month. For people who charge occasionally it's $6-7 for 20kWh (30 minutes) without monthly membership charge which I think is rather reasonable - similar to higher tiered SDG&E rates! http://www.evoasis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know how close these are to being complete. January is only a week away :)

KJD

KJD said:
Does anyone know how close these are to being complete. January is only a week away :)
I was thinking the end of Jan. might be possible, or more likely. When I heard from them last, on Dec. 22, they were still waiting for permits to be issued. Without the permit, construction has not yet begun, so I would not anticipate a Jan. 1 opening. Which location gets the first L3 unit depends on which permit gets approval first, Marriott San Juan Capistrano or Whole Foods Encinitas, I was told by Angus Clark. He was hoping to have more information to share by the next SD Leaf group meeting on Jan. 7th.

TT

Angus Clark was at the recent San Diego LEAF Owners meeting and gave an update about his network. He said that there have been some delays in roll-out in part because of the demand charges that the electric utilities charge. In order to get around this, he is using 25kW DC chargers and installing them in pairs; charging would be slower than the full 50kW chargers but still getting 80% in an hour. He does have a 50kW Fuji DC charger but this will have to wait for a bigger partner, perhaps Camp Pendleton, who uses so much electricity that the demand charge is a non-issue.

In short, EV Oasis expects to install the first 25kW DC charging pair at San Juan Capistrano by the end of this month!

eHelmholtz said:
In order to get around this, he is using 25kW DC chargers and installing them in pairs; charging would be slower than the full 50kW chargers but still getting 80% in an hour.
Would be nice if they could communicate so that the full 50 kW is available across both - if one isn't charging for example or if it's tapering off.

drees said:
eHelmholtz said:
In order to get around this, he is using 25kW DC chargers and installing them in pairs; charging would be slower than the full 50kW chargers but still getting 80% in an hour.
Would be nice if they could communicate so that the full 50 kW is available across both - if one isn't charging for example or if it's tapering off.

The Andromeda chargers that I'm using have this feature.

eHelmholtz said:
In short, EV Oasis expects to install the first 25kW DC charging pair at San Juan Capistrano by the end of this month!
Any updates on the EV Oasis DC charger installations? Is the one in San Juan Capistrano likely going up in the next week or so?

eHelmholtz said:
eHelmholtz said:
Any updates on the EV Oasis DC charger installations? Is the one in San Juan Capistrano likely going up in the next week or so?

I met with Mr. Clark on Friday, but unfortunately I didn't ask about that.The Fuji 25kW DC charger is physically sitting in his San Diego home, and they are planning a big splash with mayor, etc to inaugurate the event.

eHelmholtz said:
Angus Clark was at the recent San Diego LEAF Owners meeting and gave an update about his network. He said that there have been some delays in roll-out in part because of the demand charges that the electric utilities charge. In order to get around this, he is using 25kW DC chargers and installing them in pairs; charging would be slower than the full 50kW chargers but still getting 80% in an hour. He does have a 50kW Fuji DC charger but this will have to wait for a bigger partner, perhaps Camp Pendleton, who uses so much electricity that the demand charge is a non-issue.

I'm gona have to stop by and see how things are progressing . . . . the last time that I stopped by, there was still no pad poured for the charger - nor were there even any concrete forms set up . . . not so much as one shovel-full of sod had been disturbed. This close to the end of the month means there certainly must be some evidence of moving forward.

hill said:
I'm gona have to stop by and see how things are progressing . . . . the last time that I stopped by, there was still no pad poured for the charger - nor were there even any concrete forms set up . . . not so much as one shovel-full of sod had been disturbed. This close to the end of the month means there certainly must be some evidence of moving forward.
That would be brilliant - please do keep us updated.

eHelmholtz said:
hill said:
Will do! My on-board charger swap-out is supposed to be done by tomorrow. That'd be great place to do a shake down cruise. There's a Nissan dealership right next to the hotel. I can pick up a few miles of charge while I'm walking around the hotel across the street.

I went by today and didn't see any disturbance of sod or a pad. The transformer out in the parking lot is pretty big. Next time I'm in the area I'll grab a pic of the other side of it. Said it weighed 1,000 pounds (pad rated for 2,500).

GqBFG.jpg

Jeremy

The DC Fast Charger could be fed from the existing building electrical panel or a new service that is run from the transformer. If they do get a new/second service, there are limitations on where it can be located on the property (it is not allowed within a certain proximity to the existing service).

eHelmholtz said:
hill said:

Reporting back. May 3rd. Made the 40 mile round today. I Leaf'ed down to the Hotel that EV Oasis is supposedly installing their Q.C. at ... or should I say they supposedly already had it installed. Emphases "supposed" to have installed. Walked around the entire parking lot area twice. No Q.C. No concreted pad poured yet. No forms even set for a pad. Not a bit of evidence of even breaking ground. :(

That's 8kWh's of perfectly good battery charge that I'll never get back. So . . . there's your update . . . make of it what you will.

hill said:
No Q.C. No concreted pad poured yet. No forms even set for a pad. Not a bit of evidence of even breaking ground. :(
Sigh. It joins the Santa Ysabel QC, Chargebliss, the Walgreens network, and the entire Ecotality QC network as perpetually on the verge of opening with never any evidence that it will do so.

Who knew almost two years ago that the Vacaville QC station was setting a tradition for California where QC would remain always tantalizingly close yet ever recede into the distance like mirages? I've never used a QC and the only QC I've even seen were connected to diesel generators. :-( Let's hope that NRG breaks from that unfortunate tradition and actually opens some stations.

I guess only Tony knows the obstacles they face, and you see he has fled the country. :)

Yep - what an irony that in Japan, with all their power issues (different voltages ... different AC cycles ... nuke shut downs ... no natural resources) they can run more Q.C. than you can shake a stick at ... but in California, the mental turds in charge of power distrubution create a process so constipated, that it'll likely take an act of congress to break their backs.

hill said:
eHelmholtz said:
hill said:

Reporting back. May 3rd. Made the 40 mile round today. I Leaf'ed down to the Hotel that EV Oasis is supposedly installing their Q.C. at ... or should I say they supposedly already had it installed. Emphases "supposed" to have installed. Walked around the entire parking lot area twice. No Q.C. No concreted pad poured yet. No forms even set for a pad. Not a bit of evidence of even breaking ground. :(

That's 8kWh's of perfectly good battery charge that I'll never get back. So . . . there's your update . . . make of it what you will.

i checked your weather report. no clouds predicted. looks like the 8 K's is on its way back!

Back